Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 PM

18 posts, read 85,159 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find a more diverse area of Scranton (Afro-Americans, Hispanics). Any recommendations?

Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 PM

858 posts, read 3,043,448 times
You could try the Hill section, or Bangor, Skytop is another good one, Valley view, theirs lots in Scranton..

Old 01-19-2009, 02:05 PM

9 posts, read 19,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMONLYGIRL View Post
I am trying to find a more diverse area of Scranton (Afro-Americans, Hispanics). Any recommendations?
South Side for hispanic hands down. Just noticed last week that there are several stores along pittston ave. that have 100% of their signs in spanish now, no english advertisements.

400 Block or so of North Irving.

600 Block or so of North Washington.

/Agree with Skytop

Old 01-19-2009, 02:09 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,112 times
Yeah, South Side is getting quite the Hispanic contingent. Hardly enough to make much of a dent in the city's overall monolithically white racial demographic, but enough to notice.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
South Side probably has the second-highest concentration of Hispanic residents in NEPA outside of Hazleton. Pinebrook and parts of the Lower Hill would be your best bets to find some more diversity as well. Best of luck, and welcome in advance to Scranton!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,271,885 times
By ethnic, I hope you mean "white"

Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,093,594 times
Didn't you already start the same thread not too long ago? If I remember correctly it was locked. You should have what you need already, ITS NOT A BIG CITY.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:56 AM

858 posts, read 3,043,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Didn't you already start the same thread not too long ago? If I remember correctly it was locked. You should have what you need already, ITS NOT A BIG CITY.
oh yes... //www.city-data.com/forum/north...-scranton.html

Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,271,885 times
By ethnic, I hope you mean Irish, otherwise good luck!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:34 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
By ethnic, I hope you mean Irish, otherwise good luck!
Our local colleges and universities have helped to bring a mini-influx of diversity in as well. Here at King's I'm friends with a girl who was born in South Korea, a girl who was born in Ukraine, and several African-Americans. I am also friends with some fellow LGBT individuals and people of various religious backgrounds, including some Atheists, Wiccans, and Pagans, on up to Roman Catholics, Presbyterians, Lutherans, and other Christians. I'm friends with a few vegetarians. I now have a regular customer at work, a woman who is in my estimations in her mid-to-late-30s, who is deaf, and I've helped her on prior occasions with her shopping. A family friend has Down's Syndrome. I'm friends with folks who run the gamut from socially liberal to socially conservative, including some who generally "don't like the gays," but are tolerant of me because I blend in rather well with the heterosexual community (a little too well I suppose!)

Just because we might not all look drastically different here in NEPA doesn't mean that we're not all special in our own separate ways. We may be a MAJORITY Christian, heterosexual, Caucasian, non-Hispanic, and socially conservative, especially in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, but I'm seeing more and more differences in others the more I learn to appreciate these eccentricities that have made us all unique. Imagine a homogenized world (which in this era of chain restaurants and big-box stores we're marginally becoming). Imagine 6.3 billion people speaking the same language, dressing similarly, practicing the same faith, driving the same vehicles, preferring the same political system, etc. Imagine what a boring world that would be.

People on this forum often complain that I wear my sexuality on my sleeve, but why the hell shouldn't I? Plenty of you frequently make comments about your significant others and/or your children, and I'm sure a large number also are affectionate in public, so why shouldn't I be afforded that same luxury, even if it doesn't conform to your archaic religious belief system? The more I'm "in your face," the more likely you'll all be to "get used" to me (and others like me for that matter). This is why there are various local annual ethnic food festivals, concerts, heritage festivals, pride festivals, etc. This isn't meaning to DIVIDE everyone. It's meant to unite everyone by affording those with narrow minds the opportunity to receive an education and an understanding about cultures and ideals that are inherently different than you ever could have previously imagined. I may not like smoking, but I'll never refuse to extol my hand in friendship to a smoker. I may not like those along the lines of Gov. Palin or Mike Huckabee who believe there isn't enough of their own personal "faith" in our public government, but I'm also friends with some border-line Bible-thumpers, including some in my own large extended family in the South. Likewise you can be ignorant of or even prefer to just dislike another culture or way of thinking, but you can still be tolerant of them, can you not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania