Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:36 PM

32,618 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Jesus.
Yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 02:23 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
unless you witnessed the above--you are only contributing to the lies that were being told to get AN HONEST JUDGE out of office---the anne i know all my life isn't like that!
She has been convicted in a court of law! And as a taxpaying citizen that is forced to help pay her salary, I have every right to voice my opinion on this subject. Obviously they had more then enough evidence to disbar her. I'm sure there are many people in this county that still think that Civerrella and Conahan are still "swell guys" too! Just because you are personal friends with her doesn't mean that she is innocent. We need new blood. Competent leadership. As long as I live in this sesspool of a county. I will speak out against incompetence...including Anne Lokuta and the rest of these crooked weasles. It is views like yours, and your support for bad government that allows this criminal activity to continue. When people like yourselve keep voting these weasles back into office, and keep supporting them DESPITE BEING FOUND GUILTY, this is exactly what we get in return. It is time to raise the bar way up in this county and expect more alot more.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:30 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,452 times
I have a strange feeling Lokuta will get another trial and this time she has alittle leverage too. Not defending her in any way, but since those two judges testified against her and are now found guilty, that changes things. My question is why does it have to be like this in Luzerne County? I mean are people just money hungry out there, can't they just work and enjoy life? I don't want to hear "oh it's the economy everyone's hurting" because I don't buy it!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
I have a strange feeling Lokuta will get another trial and this time she has alittle leverage too. Not defending her in any way, but since those two judges testified against her and are now found guilty, that changes things. My question is why does it have to be like this in Luzerne County? I mean are people just money hungry out there, can't they just work and enjoy life? I don't want to hear "oh it's the economy everyone's hurting" because I don't buy it!
I personally don't feel as if enough of our post-secondary institutions place a sufficient amount of emphasis upon ethics. King's College, while a bit too conservative for my political tastes, has proven its weight in GOLD to me because it has instilled a firm moral compass within me. Ethical education isn't only an elective at King's; it is a requirement. It seems sort of foolish to try to teach someone "right from wrong," but given what we've seen in recent years from Wall Street to Main Street (or in this case North River Street), many individuals have failed to receive the message that being a good steward to society has a greater overall reward to oneself than skimming off the top wherever possible for financial gain.

I really consider it a shame that I haven't appreciated the value of my King's education until now as I'm nearing graduation, as I feel as if I've missed out totally on much of the "college experience" due to my stressful work environment and demanding major, but you can rest assured when I'm financially successful someday from making ethically sound decisions throughout my professional life I'll be giving back generously to the campus that has helped to mold me into a productive member of society. I'm not even Roman Catholic, but I still feel as if I made a wise choice when selecting a college to attend. I wonder why ALL schools don't place such a high emphasis upon ETHICS?!

Old 01-28-2009, 03:32 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
She has been convicted in a court of law! And as a taxpaying citizen that is forced to help pay her salary, I have every right to voice my opinion on this subject. Obviously they had more then enough evidence to disbar her. I'm sure there are many people in this county that still think that Civerrella and Conahan are still "swell guys" too! Just because you are personal friends with her doesn't mean that she is innocent. We need new blood. Competent leadership. As long as I live in this sesspool of a county. I will speak out against incompetence...including Anne Lokuta and the rest of these crooked weasles. It is views like yours, and your support for bad government that allows this criminal activity to continue. When people like yourselve keep voting these weasles back into office, and keep supporting them DESPITE BEING FOUND GUILTY, this is exactly what we get in return. It is time to raise the bar way up in this county and expect more alot more.
take a look at what she was found guilty of---it was NOT CRIMINAL AND THE CHARGES WERE LED BY CHIVARELLA AND THE OTHER CRIMINALLY CORRUPT------where is your new blood coming from since 80% of those in government in these counties were placed there because of political favors owed----i have been interested in county political workings over 40 years and corruption has plagued these 2 counties for that entire time----how do you suppose YOU can change it?

never assume anything---i have voted over 40 years IN THE STATE OF MY RESIDENCE WHICH IS NOT PENNSYLVANIA

Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 AM

127 posts, read 290,537 times
As far as Lokuta goes - it's a 50/50 shot right now that she could be put back on the bench but I am not holding my breath for that to happen.

Friday they are going to pick a new president judge - my bet is on Peter Paul Olszewski.

What really kills me is that Conahan can still collect his pension - for now!

Now if the Feds would start hitting up Lackawanna County, the DA's office and then some.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
There is still much, much work to be done in Luzerne County before we even worry about Lackawanna County. I'm still waiting to see what became of the debit card scandal, where are esteemed officials took extravagant vacations to L.A., Las Vegas, NY Wine Country ect. ate $200 dinners and went to strip clubs (our taxes hard at work once again) Then instead of these weasles getting immediately fired and prosecuted, they got promoted and shuffled into new positions! That is another difference between Lackawanna and Luzerne counties. If this happened in Lackawanna County they would've been fired immediately, in Luzerne they are protected and shuffed into new positions. They just don't care, they do as they please! While Judge Muroski was promising us a new era of honesty and competence at the news conference, news of Controller A.J. Martinelli getting arrested for a DUI crash with his pants down around his ankles comes out, and in typical Luzerne County fashion,he cannot be fired or removed from office!!! The only way we could get rid of this guy is if he volunteerally steps down. What the F*#k!? Is this a complete joke!!! NO!!! It's Luzerne County of course!!! Is it any wonder why people in Luzerne County are so jaded and untrusting of our esteemed leaders? I wish the feds would take over the courthouse and start running the county government.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Apparently Mr. Mericle has quite a few opponents. The aforementioned reply I posted about him is netting me a number of rep points!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I also just wanted to add that I hope that Rob Mericle falls HARD here as well for what he's done to detrimentally affect the quality-of-life in my hometown of Pittston Township. There's no way anyone can be a primary investor in such a scheme while claiming ignorance of who the other main players are. I can recall challenging Mr. Mericle at one monthly meeting of the Pittston Township Board of Supervisors back when Center Point was still under conditional approval (yes, it took a teenager out of a rapidly-growing community of well-educated professionals to "challenge" a "community pillar"), and I demanded to know what sort of ventures he'd be bringing to Center Point to help retain our township's college-educated individuals and if there would be any link to Wall Street West for those of us who desired to work somewhere doing something BESIDES driving a truck or forklift. Mr. Mericle LIED THROUGH HIS TEETH, assuring me that there would most definitely be higher-end job opportunities in the financial sector and that he was an avid proponent of the Wall Street West movement. A few years later and what do we have to show for it here in Pittston Township? Distribution centers that offer relatively low-paying JOBS (not "careers"), worsening traffic congestion at the intersection of The 315 @ Oak/Keystone, an even MORE dangerous I-81 Exit 175 interchange system (where I've already been the victim of being hit from behind with numerous similar close calls), allegations of employers hiring illegal aliens, and the crown jewel of it all is? (Drum roll please)...the very same juvenile detention center listed in this major scandal. All we need now is that trash-to-energy incinerator to open up, and our township will REALLY be "progressive!"

Mr. Mericle, I have lost all respect for you for letting down the people of Pittston Township. You promised us heaven, and you delivered us HELL. Now we're nothing more than another suburban wasteland, but, hey, you gave plenty of local high school drop outs places to work for $9/hr. to help put more duct tape on their K-Cars! Way to go! Meanwhile those of us with educations are left pounding sand up our derrieres or commuting grievous distances to be compensated commensurate with our skills.
Did I forecast this well or what?!!

Mericle’s role in Luzerne County corruption case examined | News | thetimes-tribune.com - The Times-Tribune (http://scrantontimes.com/articles/2009/01/28/news/sc_times_trib.20090128.a.pg1.tt28judgesmericle_s1. 2263566_top2.txt - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania