Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:15 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,684 times

Advertisements

The funny thing is it is simply an agenda enhancing move to get the mayor out, like that will be some panacea when in fact Scrantons problem is wide spread throughout the Country. Sure, hate the Mayor that is fine, every hero needs a villian.

Scranton is simply a town, a location on a map. It's people are what make or break it. Why do you hinge your own lives on what a Mayor and a regional newspaper says or does. I simply do not understand what affect or effcet you are going for. Honestly, what is your goal here. What are you looking for in the end. Are you doing this to just attack a politician you do not like?

Scrantons problems much like NEPA's problems in my opinion are owned by the mentality of the residents more so than the actions or lack there of form the administration. They are simply the tangible villian in the comic book you guys are writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 06:22 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,294 times
Default Urban Renewal

There are indeed, many small cities just like Scranton, Paul, but that's not the point. Asking Dan what he's trying to accomplish here, was explained in the beginning. Personally I don't need these photos, but they do reinforce what I just saw on my short walk.

Paul, I fully appreciate your enthusiasm to your cause, but Scranton needs more that a few pseudo-cool shops to make it vibrant again. Have you been in Shamokin? They have the same situation as Scranton. They boasted Tiffany windows and three huge theatres in their glory days when coal was king. High gas prices will not ressurect Scranton! On the contrary it will be the end, if that happened. I know of families who came from New England to Steamtown. Their day was filled with trains and the adjacent mall, and then off to their next stop in Cooperstown. They didn't visit the rest of the city. Seven-dollar-a-gallon gas prices will stop the flow of middle-income visitors from afar. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:27 PM

Scrantons only hope moving forward is the proliferation of the Education market. Scranton must become a place completly devoted to supporting institutionso f higher learning. It will be thie only thing that will save it.

I have said that for a long time. It will eventually begin to come into fruition but not untill the residents allow it.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:30 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,294 times
Default Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
The funny thing is it is simply an agenda enhancing move to get the mayor out, like that will be some panacea when in fact Scrantons problem is wide spread throughout the Country. Sure, hate the Mayor that is fine, every hero needs a villian.

Scranton is simply a town, a location on a map. It's people are what make or break it. Why do you hinge your own lives on what a Mayor and a regional newspaper says or does. I simply do not understand what affect or effcet you are going for. Honestly, what is your goal here. What are you looking for in the end. Are you doing this to just attack a politician you do not like?

Scrantons problems much like NEPA's problems in my opinion are owned by the mentality of the residents more so than the actions or lack there of form the administration. They are simply the tangible villian in the comic book you guys are writing.
EXACTLY! I suggested in the recent past, that Paul should travel and live elsewhere while he can. He is young, and getting bogged down in such muck and mire is exhasting. On many occassions, I told my son and his buddies to GET OUT OF THE AREA when they graduated from high school. I told my son to pick a school far from Pennsylvania. I explained the riches of experiencing new friends from all walks of life. blah blah blah. Scranton won't disappear. It's not going anywhere. Try Philadelphia Paul!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:03 PM

513 posts, read 1,080,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Dan, with all due respect as I fully appreciate your enthusiasm to your cause, what exactly were you trying to accomplish here?.... Are you trying to make a political point here? Where you see urban blight, I see potential.
Did you read his post? It wasn't that Scranton is unique in business' abandonment of its failing downtown. The point he made is that the mayor has been making sweetheart deals with developers, funded by taxpayers to build additional office and retail space he deems vital to the resurgence of the city. All the while, there is a readily apparent over-supply of existing retail and office space, and an existing tax structure which he feels conflicts with the recruitment and long term partnership with new businesses.

I don't know enough to comment on the accuracy of his assessment on the mayor's dealings with developers, or the appropriateness of the tax structure, but the the point he was making was abundantly clear.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:06 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Great photos Dan. The forum is finally seeing the real Scranton. Welcome to Ghost Town, USA. There has to be a reason why there are so many empty buildings in Scranton? Chris Doherty comes to mind.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Great photos Dan. The forum is finally seeing the real Scranton. Welcome to Ghost Town, USA. There has to be a reason why there are so many empty buildings in Scranton? Chris Doherty comes to mind.
Again, how does a single Mayor bare the brunt of an economic situation of an entire region. I am not saying he has not made mistakes but you guys are simplifying it to match your talking points.

On another note, becareful of declaratory statements that the Mayor is missappropriating funds for developers ect.....You can get in trouble for that.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Quote:
Again, how does a single Mayor bare the brunt of an economic situation of an entire region. I am not saying he has not made mistakes but you guys are simplifying it to match your talking points.

On another note, becareful of declaratory statements that the Mayor is missappropriating funds for developers ect.....You can get in trouble for that.
He's put this city in debt that is has never seen before. His pro-Doherty council pushes all his agendas and legislature through, because Scranton has a mayor strong from of government. He's got the majority in council and he does whatever he wishes. Can't you see, that since he took office, every year has been worse fiscally than the year before. Once the people get him out, then Scranton has a hope for the future.

When did I say that the Mayor is misappropriating funds for developers?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:34 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,359 times
Quote:

yes...as per the TOS..you are solely responsible for anything you post..
so be careful..also ...lets not turn this into a political thread..politics and
other controversies..are a whole different forum...IF YOU WANT TO POST
ABOUT POLITICS..I SUGGEST GO TO THAT FORUM..

Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
So, if I may be so crude as to inquire, what benefit did this photo tour do for the city? It probably turned-off a number of would-be-visitors to the city. It probably depressed those who haven't been to the city in years and were hoping it was on a brighter path. It may have soured those who were potentially relocating to the Electric City. At least my tours give reason for people to have hope for the city. Even Ken, who apparently was NOT impressed by any means with Scranton, managed to find some beauty where most Scranton residents just see broken dreams and empty promises.

It is apparent that Mayor Chris Doherty is becoming increasingly unpopular this election year, but face it, Dan, as long as his opposition is split between Cruela DeVil (I mean Janet Evans) and Wishy-Washy (I mean Gary DiBileo), Doherty WILL be re-elected. If you don't want to see this happen then why not locate someone with passion, enthusiasm, and bravado, and give them a "pep talk" to RUN! As long as the mayoral salary is only $50,000 as well, you're never going to attract many desirable candidates anyways. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, why won't Marie Schumacher run? She's the only one out of your council pals I'd ever cast a vote for (although having Napoleon Dynamite for mayor with Les Spindler would be some good comic relief for the nation!)

What Janet Evans did tonight at the meeting in regards to nailing herself to the cross on behalf of "a woman in tears" whose outstanding tax liability to the city allegedly mushroomed from $8,000 to $40,000 (in one year, no less) really disturbed me, and I'm GLAD that Sherry finally called her out on her self-serving grand-standing with their cat-fight as I shucked popcorn into my mouth in my office. I'm not the only one who can see through Janet Evans, even if most of the Legion of Loons aren't intelligent enough to do the same. If the election were held today, and if I were a resident of the city, I'd probably vote for DiBileo since I'm clueless about him other than the fact that he uses too many space-fillers when speaking and kind of reminds me of a less-racist Archie Bunker. At least he wouldn't push a group of nuns under a speeding bus in order to personally get ahead (think Evans) or drive the city into tremendous long-term debt as our nation heads perilously closer to a depression (think Doherty). We need someone fiscally responsible (nix Doherty) AND with vision and an agreeable personality (nix Evans).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania