Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:38 PM

52 posts, read 246,331 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the info! I will check out the gov's site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 08:14 PM
sci sci started this thread

90 posts, read 224,170 times
Unhappy Not looking good

I guess my idea/ goal of having a small family farm is not such a sustainable idea. Not quite giving up the dream but will have to make sure I have alot of coin in the bank before I start.
I am a home improvement contractor here on LI so I guess I will have to keep working as well as farming.
Thanks for everybodies replies

Old 02-03-2009, 06:05 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,042 times
One thing I hear a lot of people complain about is finding good, -reliable- contractors in the area. If you can fill that niche and get yourself known enough, you may be able to make half or so of your income from doing small home improvement jobs in order to make farming feasible. I have a friend who comes up from TN a few times a year because there is so much home improvement work in the area, and people, especially second homers, willing to pay good money to a trustworthy professional.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
sci sci started this thread

90 posts, read 224,170 times
Default What areas

Thanks Mermanmike, I thought I'd have to work for a while doing home improvements to make ends meet and to get away from the wife. I will hopefully also be able to afford 2 or 3 rental properties if I can sell everything here at a reasonable price.
What areas would you suggest that you can make a reasonable living as a contractor and a landlord? I was looking at the Hamlin area an it seems like a nice area but have only begun to look.
How area the rental markets in the area.
Thanks Phil

Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Assuming the new medical college coming to Scranton takes off (judging by the mood on this forum most want to see it fail, but I digress), the Hill Section of the city may be ripe for rental investments for graduate students and/or faculty.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:24 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,042 times
I don't know anything about rentals. The Hamlin/Lake Ariel area is probably pretty central for doing contracting work. You can be in the Wallenpaupack/Hawley or even Greentown area relatively quickly, and you can also get to Honesdale pretty quickly. These are all areas that have a big second home population, people redoing old farmhouses, etc. My friend has found that this is his bread and butter--people who are only here part time and want a contractor they can trust in their home to do good work and who actually shows up when he is supposed to. There is also a pretty good amount of farming going on the Lake Ariel area, so you can probably find a nice old farm to fix up, since you have the skill to do it as such.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,638 times
Default SPIN Farming lecture in the Poconos

[FONT=Verdana] HARRISBURG, Nov. 5 – State Rep. John Siptroth, D-Monroe/Pike, announced he will hold his second Green Fair from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 15 at Shawnee Inn, Shawnee on Delaware. [url]http://shawneeinn.com/[/url][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]The free event is open to the public.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Organizations will provide information on topics that include geothermal, wind and solar power, energy-efficiency products, spin farming and organic farming. Vendors will showcase environmentally friendly products and showcase natural foods for people of all ages.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]The schedule for educational programs is as follows:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Noon -- "Going Organic" and "What is community supported agriculture?"[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1 pm – Home Energy Conservation and Residential Wind Power.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2 pm – A New SPIN on Farming. [url]http://www.spinfarming.com/[/url][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]3 pm – Understanding geothermal & solar technologies[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]There will be workshops and educational programs on a variety of green issues for people of all ages.[/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania