Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Bishop Martino's Political Stances?
Yes (Why?) 6 26.09%
No (Why?) 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:11 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

After watching last night's Scranton city council meeting I was just wondering if anyone else thought it was "convenient" that fire truck after fire truck after fire truck came barreling down North Washington Avenue in front of City Hall during the meeting, chiefly when pro-Mayor Doherty councilwomen Sherry N. Fanucci and Judith Gatelli were trying to speak? I say this because with all of those fire trucks one would have ASSUMED there would have been some sort of report of a major car accident or fire last evening, but there was nothing present. Given the fact that city fire fighters continue to use city council as punching bags to vent their union frustrations and to air their grievances over the mayor's plans (or lack thereof) to close fire stations across the city it would not surprise me one bit if these fire trucks were NOT responding to the scene of a major incident and just did this intentionally as a "publicity stunt", knowing that many people were watching the council meeting at the time and might think "Gee, our fire fighters sound over-extended" by hearing truck after truck whiz by. We'll see what happens next week.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:52 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Maybe Scranton should "import" this mayor from Canada to run the city...

YouTube - Welcome to Mississauga

Old 04-30-2009, 07:01 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
After watching last night's Scranton city council meeting I was just wondering if anyone else thought it was "convenient" that fire truck after fire truck after fire truck came barreling down North Washington Avenue in front of City Hall during the meeting, chiefly when pro-Mayor Doherty councilwomen Sherry N. Fanucci and Judith Gatelli were trying to speak? I say this because with all of those fire trucks one would have ASSUMED there would have been some sort of report of a major car accident or fire last evening, but there was nothing present. Given the fact that city fire fighters continue to use city council as punching bags to vent their union frustrations and to air their grievances over the mayor's plans (or lack thereof) to close fire stations across the city it would not surprise me one bit if these fire trucks were NOT responding to the scene of a major incident and just did this intentionally as a "publicity stunt", knowing that many people were watching the council meeting at the time and might think "Gee, our fire fighters sound over-extended" by hearing truck after truck whiz by. We'll see what happens next week.
Absolutely not...there is no way they would be able to just cruise around the city in the firetrucks when they're not on a call. How do you know they weren't on a call? Not every incident is reported on the news or in the paper...actually, the majority of incidents aren't reported.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Absolutely not...there is no way they would be able to just cruise around the city in the firetrucks when they're not on a call. How do you know they weren't on a call? Not every incident is reported on the news or in the paper...actually, the majority of incidents aren't reported.
It just seemed too "convenient" to me that the regulars used those opportunities as prime soap-box moments as they blamed council for closing fire stations.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:28 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
Nothing?

It might not have been their only motive, but I'm sure Walmart mgmt saw it as a good PR opportunity. They're a precisely calculating machine of a company.
Actually, Walmart as a corporation is the leader in charitable giving and has been for quite a few years. I guess some people need to find fault with Walmart no matter what they do.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
I guess some people need to find fault with Walmart no matter what they do.
I guess some people also need to defend Wal-Mart no matter what they do.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:04 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It just seemed too "convenient" to me that the regulars used those opportunities as prime soap-box moments as they blamed council for closing fire stations.
Well, city hall is less than a block from the downtown fire station.....not surprising to hear sirens there. I would have to think that the firefighters would not be allowed to just drive around in circles with the sirens on without getting into trouble. And to think that they could coordinate this to exactly when Fanucci is speaking (if you call Fanucci's blabbering drivel "speaking"), is a little far-fetched.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:07 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
First off the fire HQ is directly behind/next to city hall, second not every call is in the news.

THIRD AND MOST IMPORTANT......

Council has done nothing to stop anything the mayor has done in the city, they have done nothing to help get the contracts settled and they have done nothing to try and control the spending....SO if there are firehouses to be closed on May 20th then it will be the fault of the mayor and council combined. The fire in the hill section is a perfect example of why we cannot afford to close houses, the first one on scene was one of the two companies that Doherty wants to close....

To suggest cutting police and fire instead of thinning the salaries of appointed admin members is a direct slap in the face of the people of this city.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
First off the fire HQ is directly behind/next to city hall, second not every call is in the news.

THIRD AND MOST IMPORTANT......

Council has done nothing to stop anything the mayor has done in the city, they have done nothing to help get the contracts settled and they have done nothing to try and control the spending....SO if there are firehouses to be closed on May 20th then it will be the fault of the mayor and council combined. The fire in the hill section is a perfect example of why we cannot afford to close houses, the first one on scene was one of the two companies that Doherty wants to close....

To suggest cutting police and fire instead of thinning the salaries of appointed admin members is a direct slap in the face of the people of this city.
I can (and probably am) mistaken. I just thought it was bizarre that there was truck after truck after TRUCK whirling by City Hall without there being a fire reported.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:07 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
Actually, Walmart as a corporation is the leader in charitable giving and has been for quite a few years. I guess some people need to find fault with Walmart no matter what they do.
There is no reason to bash Wal-Mart, if you don't want to shop there, just don't shop there. I agree, people just are waiting for reasons to bash them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania