Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Bishop Martino's Political Stances?
Yes (Why?) 6 26.09%
No (Why?) 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:14 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,362 times

Advertisements

Scranton will NEVER be a "white Collar Utopia" and to think that you can change the demographic and historical ancestory of this area your kidding yourself. Just because your ancestors worked the miners and not the mines doesn't mean you can change who and what we are here in Anthracite country. We are coal crackers and we are proud of the ancestoring and the hard work they did to build this nation and we will never forget it.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I do want to point out a few points that need clarification. My ancestors worked in the mines dan, My great grandfather died in the mines.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:34 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,634 times
Well welcome to the club....Still please expalin to me what exactly the white collared folks need to have in the downtown in order for them to go there?

Where are these droves of white collared folks that you speak of? Do they have secret handshakes and hidden stores that they shop at or do they go to NYC like we do to get coffee and cheese or Short Hills for clothes?

I don't get it nor do I see it and its not like I'm unfamiliar with the "white Collar" world either so please tell me what Scranton needs in order to attract these white collar folks to the downtown besides JOBS? Which is something that Doherty is completely unable to achieve nor see for that matter.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
As an upcoming white-collar yuppie myself I really don't desire much of what you'd see in places like Boulder, Ithaca, Charlottesville, Greenwich Village, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc. I do crave urban living because the suburbs are just so...how can I put this nicely...FAKE, but all I need is a drug store, barber shop, grocery store, and other amenities that can be jointly utilized by white-collars and blue-collars alike. I'm not "too good" for local establishments---I like to go to pool halls, bowling alleys, and small bars to hear independent bands play. I don't need health spas for poodles or stores that sell gourmet noodles. I don't need stores that sell Uggs or designer mugs.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:19 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I would love to ask him one question, why is running for yet a third term?
Because he has nothing better to do, nobody wants him for any higher political office. His original plan was to get lots of photo ops as mayor for 2 terms, then run off to a statewide or congressional office. But nobody, other than the apathetic sheep of Scranton, is stupid enough to elect Chris Doherty to anything, even dogcatcher. I just hope the thick-headed voters in this town finally wise up and vote against Doherty, but I don't have much faith in Scranton voters. They don't look beyond the photo ops and slop printed in The Times to see the truth.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:24 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I don't think Doherty is going to pull this rabbit out of the hat this time. 570717 I respect your opinion, BUT you do live out of state and only talk to a core amount of your friends here reguarly, no offense meant... The point is that more and more of the residents are tiring of the union battles and the absolute poor road conditions...The 1600 of Mylert is honestly the worst street I HAVE EVER SEEN. The city is actually falling down around the downtown, more houses on the market then ever before with some streets having 5 to 6 homes on one block up for sale......

The Times and its magical PR wand can't hide the downgraded condition of the city and they can't hide for-sale signs either...Its actually obvious that the city is a mess and people are actually seeing it for once because its getting that bad.

Doherty has done to the city what Bush did to the country.....He is done and he will most likely lose, but by the hair of his chinning chin chin lose he will.
Plus, its not helping that crime has been on the rise in Scranton. I hate to say it, but it almost seems like Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are slowly starting to trade places. W-B has been pretty quiet for a while, and all the crime seems to be happening in Scranton. Criminals aren't always stupid, they know to move to where there is less chance of being hassled by the police. And while W-B's mayor has been building up the police department by hiring more officers and giving them the lastest equipment, we have Doherty in Scranton trying to destroy the police department. Another term of Doherty and we may have mall rent-a-cops patrolling the city.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:07 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Because he has nothing better to do, nobody wants him for any higher political office. His original plan was to get lots of photo ops as mayor for 2 terms, then run off to a statewide or congressional office. But nobody, other than the apathetic sheep of Scranton, is stupid enough to elect Chris Doherty to anything, even dogcatcher. I just hope the thick-headed voters in this town finally wise up and vote against Doherty, but I don't have much faith in Scranton voters. They don't look beyond the photo ops and slop printed in The Times to see the truth.
Yeah, it's pretty sad when his own political party doesn't want him anymore. I just hope the sheep wise up also or Scranton will never recover from the Doherty debt he has incurred on this city.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 PM

45 posts, read 132,460 times
How come the "Shoppes at Montage" and rt6 business in Dickson City don't need KOZ's to survive? Ever notice that MOST of the KOZ's have gone to crony developers with taxpayer construction dollars and for what? Empty buildings?

because actually Moosic embarked on a TIF program many years ago that was a great idea. their taxes paid went into their infrastructure. dickson city is another story. dan siniawa saw an idea and made it happen. the economy is going into the tank everywhere in the country, it's not just happening here. it's actually happening less here than it is in other states and cities.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:44 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,634 times
OH please Vince.....Is this what we can expect from you guys? Ya'll just going to drop in here and try to defend this idiot. Please go back across the hall with the rest of the kiddies and play..I can see how you sheepish Doherty humps are going to use the economy to try and save his image.....

Scranton was a mess LONG BEFORE THE NATIONAL ECONOMY WAS. The market and the economy was not doing bad two years ago nor was it bad 5 years ago so what the excuse for those years of getting nothing done?

8 years and NOTHING has been accomplished. NOTHING that benefits the everyday taxpayer, and Nay Aug isn't cutting it anymore my friend.

Doherty hasn't done anything to help to spur the economy of the downtown, like lowering taxes for businesses. They hand out KOZ welfare but the little businesses just cannot make till the end can they..

If he has done anything, he has driven business out and our debt thru the roof.

Remember your trying to defend 8 years of nothing....

Gee I wonder where Moosic came up with that great idea about taxes going back into infrastructure, sounds just ducky where did our taxes go again?

That is actually a great question.....Where have our taxes gone over the last 8 years?

$17,000,000 in new hires and raises, over $1,000,000 in legal fees trying to break the unions and is hasn't happened yet has it.........

I hope you have something better then "the economy is bad everywhere" to defend the condition of our city that has been crumbling over the last 8 years. Nice try though.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceWhirlwind View Post
dickson city is another story. dan siniawa saw an idea and made it happen. the economy is going into the tank everywhere in the country, it's not just happening here. it's actually happening less here than it is in other states and cities.
Perhaps if Dan Siniawa cared as much about bringing all of his long-anticipated urban redevelopment "ideas" to fruition (Pioneer Square in Carbondale, Pittston Waterfront Condo Towers, Murray Complex in Wilkes-Barre, etc., etc.) I'd have more respect for him. As long as his name is associated with creating more urban sprawl in our already very sprawl-threatened region I can't say I'm a fan of his. He sold our region's existing core business districts out to make a quick buck by luring in all of these national chain retailers. That makes him some sort of "hero?" This area could survive just fine without most of the "trash" that hangs out in the parking lot at Wal-Mart, thank you very much.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I don't need health spas for poodles or stores that sell gourmet noodles. I don't need stores that sell Uggs or designer mugs.
I can tell.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania