Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Bishop Martino's Political Stances?
Yes (Why?) 6 26.09%
No (Why?) 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,580 times

Advertisements

8 years ago I had a canidate say 9 years as a distressed city. Now we all know it would not be turned around overnight but 8 more years, come on. We are still drownding in red ink and have not given penny one to our police or firemen. I don't know maybe its me. We have given large raises to city management and created higher paying city jobs. Heck we even flodded the Scranton Sewer Authority with West Siders, to sure up that section of town. Why have we spent hundreds of thousands fighting cost of living raises for these people who desirve it and paid management.
Our founding fathers looked at being an elected official as a hardship, you gave something up for the good of your country you did not make it a career.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Although I would say Doherty is getting desperate...one of his lackeys was going around West Side practically begging people to put a Doherty sign in their yard.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Was he driving a city vehicle while doing it?

Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Was he driving a city vehicle while doing it?
It didn't appear to be a city vehicle...it was a newer gray pickup. Pretty sure it was a Ford.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:30 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Question Bishop Martino: Yea or Nay?

NOTE to Retired Law: Even though I'm aware this thread will likely take a political turn, I designed it independently so that I could attach a poll. If after a few days of polling you deem this thread to have become too controversial to be kept as a separate entity, please feel free to move it into the sticky thread.

Well it looks as if Bishop Martino of the Diocese of Scranton is once again in the media spotlight. This time he is protesting Notre Dame's decision to invite President Barack Obama to speak at their graduation ceremony. This comes on the heels of this bishop threatening to revoke Misericordia University's status as a Catholic institution for permitting a gay man to give a presentation, as well as causing controversy when he said that the National Conference of Roman Catholic Bishops "doesn't speak for me." (or something along those lines).

As a Protestant I'm sure the Roman Catholics on this board will come out with their fangs extended (please be civilized though), but in my opinion if Bishop Martino wishes for the Diocese of Scranton to remain a tax-exempt institution, then he ought to carefully examine just how close he is to blurring the fine line between preaching and politicizing. As the leader of a tax-exempt institution he can NOT continuously be making and/or demanding political changes, and if he continues to escalate like this, causing the Diocese to LOSE its tax-exempt status, then expect many more parishes to close in the coming years as they can't afford their massive tax bills.

What do others think about our controversial bishop. The web site of the Scranton Times-Tribune lights up with dozens upon dozens of comments (mostly anti-bishop) whenever they do a feature story on the man's latest rants, so I suspect many of you have your own opinions into this matter as well.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 04-03-2009 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Typographical Error

Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,194 times
Dear God, no.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:48 AM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
I feel that Bishop Martino is upholding the beliefs of the Catholic Church as he is obligated to do.

I find it strange that many people that are not Catholic get their panties in a bunch every time this man tries to keep Catholic institutions from acting in ways that do not promote Catholic teachings. Maybe their time would be better spent joining or attending their own church, or possibly volunteering for some cause that would benefit the needy or homeless, rather than spending their time complaining about other people's religion.

Also, if you want to go down the road of tax exemption and politics in the church, be careful what you wish for. I do seem to recall a certain Reverend Wright that gave plenty of political speeches during Obama's campaign. I would hope that you would be also writing letters to the government asking that the tax exempt status of his church also be challenged.

Last edited by greentown; 04-03-2009 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: add

Old 04-03-2009, 09:53 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Dear God, no.

LOL!!!!

Ditto.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,969 times
it's best topic dealing with controversy go into the off topic sticky thread...this is why it was created....

Last edited by Retired Law 08; 04-03-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 AM

I think Bishop Martino is great. Its about time we have a Catholic bishop who actually preaches Catholic beliefs. Sure, he's ticked some people off with church and school closings, but with dwindling attendance in both, something had to be done. But agree with his stances on abortion, gay marriage, birth control, or not....they are still Catholic teaching. Bishop Martino is not making these things up....its straight from the Catechism.

Plus, Martino has cracked down on pervert priests. Former Bishop Timlin just looked the other way. For that reason, I am not a Timlin fan. But Martino gets a from me for standing up for what is right and standing up for the teachings of the Church (that is his job, by the way) in this politically correct "if it feels good, do it" society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania