Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:13 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,729 times

Advertisements

Forty-mile Lackawanna Valley trail stuck with a gap of 800 feet | News | thetimes-tribune.com - The Times-Tribune (http://thetimes-tribune.com/articles/2008/09/05/news/sc_times_trib.20080905.a.pg3.tt05trail_s1.1923887_ top8.txt - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
As much as I liked the arches, I do not see how they could be recreated or mimicked without great expense.

There is also a period-friendly restoration slated for the Harrison Ave. bridge. Let's hope they take down the chain link screening.
What I don't understand is why they are saying that the bridge project will cost MORE now that they are not including the arches. I would think that not having to restore those old arches would bring down the cost of the project.

That fence for the Harrison Ave bridge is a necessity to prevent suicides. It may not be pretty, maybe they can come up with something better looking, but its better than cleaning up carcasses below the bridge.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 AM

If they're going to jump, they're going to jump.

As far as the costs, you would have to figure that the demolition and removal of all that old concrete has to be more expensive than a paint job and a skim coat.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:34 AM

ScranBarre and others may wish to check out this link: Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority

Old 02-05-2009, 10:04 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure they are planning some sort of kayak tie-in with the project, but start up is going to be slow.

Pretty sure? I haven't heard anything about that at all. Not from the LHVA or the LRCA.

I hope that the idiots around here don't take it upon themselves to attempt to have a local firm design it, like they did the bridge to nowhere and the treehouse both of which needed additional work to stabilize them. The bridge actually had to be redesigned by PennDot bridges and tunnels didn't it?

There is no start up. They actually have the machines here in the city and the crews that are needed to do it. Boulders and large rocks are not hard to find....Wegman's parking lot, near the old walmart would be a great place to start.

It figures that a crony like Donahue would throw a wrench in the plans. He'll never get that project of his off the ground. What happened to Jefferson Point Jerry?

I like this quote myself.....Straight out of the Doherty play book.

Quote:
“We are going to do it, but we are going to do it in a fashion that makes it a destination point,” he said.

Let them finish the trail first since they are ACTUALLY going to get it done long before you get that white elephant of yours started.

We look forward to the trail on the levee here (when it gets done) and the access to the river for cycling, fishing and paddling.

As far as I'm concerned Natalie Solfanelli has been able to get more done for the river because she has the support and contacts to get it done. I have known Mrs. Solfanelli since I was in HS and have been friends with her boys for years, she'll get this done no problem.

The LRCA on the other hand struggles under the IMHO inept leadership of Mr. McCurl and has for years. The riverfest's and the overall management of the river has fallen off over the last several years and Bernie doesn't have the support that he used to.

Moving the riverfest out of a neighborhood setting and shoving it in that stupid place by the ice box was a huge mistake. Hell it was better when it was at the SS complex and then moved to my neighborhood where everyone came out in force to help make it a great day for us all.

The last few riverfest's have been disappointing to me. Weak and no one stays to enjoy the festivities after the race anymore, they clear out and only the drunk kids are left. The bands that have played recently do not draw a crowd either, thats what happens when you hire kids from The Bog, Bernie.

We used to have it packed right up to dark when it was down here with bands like Old Friends and The Village Idiots playing and the food was better with a variety instead of the pizza only menu last year.

Its a shame and hopefully the LRCA will turn it around before the numbers really drop off to the point were it will be just a race and nothing afterwards because thats where it is headed.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:07 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPA-x-pat View Post
You are so right Brother Dan!
You are so right about it being unappreciated. Dan you are right on target!
Wow! I'm sure weluvpa is pleased to hear these words for a change! LOL!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:11 AM

904 posts, read 2,054,506 times
Quote:
Forty-mile Lackawanna Valley trail stuck with a gap of 800 feet | News | thetimes-tribune.com - The Times-Tribune (http://thetimes-tribune.com/articles/2008/09/05/news/sc_times_trib.20080905.a.pg3.tt05trail_s1.1923887_ top8.txt - broken link)
Wow, had no idea the trail was going to be so long. That's really cool. Any updates on that last 800 feet? This article was a while ago.

Quote:
ScranBarre and others may wish to check out this link: Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority
I was just checking out that site and the pages on the trail segments' progress: Environment - The Lackawanna River Heritage Trail (http://www.lhva.org/environment/environment3.html - broken link)

Says it could connect to the Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage Area for a 100-mile continuous stretch.

I need to get a bike, and maybe a kayak.

Quote:
If they're going to jump, they're going to jump.
I remember hearing this debated about the Golden Gate bridge adding fencing. The Psych experts agreed that it would decrease suicides. Even if the tendency is there, the act tends to be impulsive. Make it harder to do and you get fewer suicides, not just a shift to other means.

Not that I'm for it.. I'm, uh, on the fence.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 AM

NEPA X PAT and I understand the river and what it can provide for a city and it is just ignored. I paddle the Lackawanna river from Archbald at least once a week unless the water is up and then its everyday while I can get out there. When the lackawanna river is too low to paddle then we move right on up to the Susquehanna. Solid fishing and paddling right thru the city and we dump $330,000 into a dog park.

Paul anytime you want to see the valley from the very bottom looking up and out let me know. I have multiple kayaks and would definitely take you out on the river..Its not hard and I'll make sure the water levels are low and safe.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:33 AM

From the LHVA site:

Quote:
The Scranton Riverfront Greenway project, a current phase of LHVA’s Lackawanna River Heritage Trail project, will lead to the development of a multi-purpose riverwalk along the river adjacent to Scranton’s downtown business district. Future Greenway development efforts also include riverfront amenities, commercial establishments, parking, recreational facilities, outdoor gathering spaces, and ramps with direct access to the water for fishing, canoeing, and kayaking. With convenient public access from a variety of locations, the Greenway will physically connect Scranton High School, downtown Scranton, Steamtown National Historic Site, the Electric City Trolley Station & Museum, the Pennsylvania State Office Building, the Steamtown Mall, and the proposed Intermodal Transportation Center

Old 02-05-2009, 10:35 AM

Its just ramps or paths to the water......I thought they were actually going to put something kayak specific in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania