Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 PM
sci sci started this thread

90 posts, read 224,338 times

Advertisements

Currently live on Long Island New York and am looking to move in the next few years to PA. Currently work as a home improvement contractor for myself and as a landlord with 3 rental properties. The cost here are getting outragious and the laws have been changed to grant all the rights to the tenant. Currently costs about 20 to 25 thousand and about 6 months to get tenant evicted for even a legitamate reason. Just not worth it here anymore. Last time I went to my lawyers to start eviction process he suggested I offer them $5,000 dollars to move out, said it would be cheaper.
What areas would anyone suggest to look at to be a contractor and landlord in? How are the rental laws in Pa? Do the courts there treat both sides fairly or are they totally one side as they are here? How is the market for rentals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:51 AM

106,807 posts, read 109,039,935 times
i wouldnt be a landlord again, anywhere ever...... we are winding down a family owned real estate business now in nyc and i have no interest to ever deal with tenants again...

when it comes to tenants nothing is a problem until its a problem, then you find out how every law on the books protects the dead beat tenant and none protects you as the landlord

Old 02-05-2009, 05:47 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,812,218 times
I am the same ; would never do it again. We live on long island and have a few rentals also.

Love NEPA ; go there twice a month at least and would move there in a heartbeat ; but not doing rentals ever again.

d

Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM

77 posts, read 172,372 times
We have a rental propertly in Nepa, the laws are pretty much the same. It takes a while to evict a tenant especially if they have children. It takes longer. So far most of our tenants are good, no real problems yet. I would say there are alot of renters as long as you are in a desired area. Here in the suburbs for wilkes barre rents are average of 450-600 for apartments, not as much as if you were in Stroudsburg closer to NYC.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,767,256 times
I own some rentals in Scranton. I use a property management company that I am quite happy with. It's definately worth the money. If you want to PM me, I would be glad to give you their contact number.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:22 PM

734 posts, read 1,637,595 times
I found the opposite to be true in Pa. As far as rentals go, I was a very good tenant and paid my rent on time every month. I actually put my own money into repairs that I was not obligated to do. I never rented in my life till I had to in Pa and I know how to be a good home owner. I had two rentals over 5 yrs and both landlords ripped me off and became nasty. My son is a landlord for several properties on the east coast and he would never do to his tenants what my land lords did to me.
I am glad to be back on LI even if it costs a bundle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania