Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 04:58 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Haha, I actually don't mind Paterson as much....it probably shouldn't be compared to Newark because Newark is just *so* much more dangerous. My dad's business is there. I used to work for him in the office in college, and he wouldn't let me leave the building for lunch. When greeting customers, I was behind a bullet proof glass Paterson has its bad areas, but it's also got Corrado's, which makes it an okay place to be IMO
Our printing business was in East Orange and we had the full bullet proof armored glass doors on the office and windows. Steel roll downs on everything and inside parking.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:05 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,218 times
Here we go again, blaming everybody from NYC and NJ for the crimes of a few. Believe it or not, crime exists in Scranton without the help of people from other states.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Here we go again, blaming everybody from NYC and NJ for the crimes of a few. Believe it or not, crime exists in Scranton without the help of people from other states.
Finally, a voice of reason! I owe you and CHS89 a beer sometime! People from NY/NJ have sexy accents, so they're a-okay in my book!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:46 PM

See, There are reasonable people in the NEPA area!!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I just don't know why Dan, Ed, Go Phillies, and so many others think they are the "guardians" of NEPA as they build this huge invisible wall of sorts around Scranton, similar to how the Chinese tried to wall themselves off from the rest of the outside world, namely the "invading Mongolians" (a.k.a. the "invading New Yorkers). Scranton is far too insular for its own good. The only way it will succeed with its impending renaissance efforts is if it starts to embrace newcomers instead of throwing the book at them.

I work beside many from NJ/NY. Many of my customers are NJ/NY transplants. I even sat amongst many with heavy NJ/NY accents tonight at the Penguins game. Many purchasing newer homes/townhouses near me are from NJ/NY. There are MANY upstanding members on this forum who hail from NJ/NY. I just don't see why everyone must always focus on only the NEGATIVE that is coming here.

Was it not a gay couple from NYC that restored the old white mansion on the corner of Jefferson & Mulberry into a beautiful B & B? Was it not a business man from NYC who decided to open up The Colosseum, a popular night club in the city? Was it not a family from NJ that decided to turn the abandoned Kalmanowicz Market in Dupont into Bobby-O's Diner? Shall I continue?

I just don't see why most on this forum (and in this area in general) think NJ/NY = "icky." Sure, they may have turned Edwardsville into the blithering sewer it is today, but the good these newcomers are bringing into our area far outweighs the drug issues.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 PM

I do my best not to classify people into gay/straight, black/white/hispanic, etc. There's good and trash in any group. Just don't blame crime on any one particular type of people, otherwise I get hot under the collar.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:03 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,026 times
I KNEW this was gonna get ugly....and STUPID.
Sorry....but I've been listening to Pa. folks whine about NYers for 15 years and it's really getting old in my book. I wonder if these whiners have any idea how absolutely ignorant they sound?

Old 02-06-2009, 09:04 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Our printing business was in East Orange and we had the full bullet proof armored glass doors on the office and windows. Steel roll downs on everything and inside parking.
Oh gosh yeah, how could I forget about East Orange? That makes Paterson look like Paradise Or better yet...Irvington.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I KNEW this was gonna get ugly....and STUPID.
Sorry....but I've been listening to Pa. folks whine about NYers for 15 years and it's really getting old in my book. I wonder if these whiners have any idea how absolutely ignorant they sound?
I don't think they see themselves as others see them.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Oh gosh yeah, how could I forget about East Orange? That makes Paterson look like Paradise Or better yet...Irvington.
There are parts of NEPA that compare to the Oranges, Irvinton, Newark, Jersey City, etc. but there are parts that are good in both areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania