Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:32 PM

567 posts, read 1,305,545 times

Advertisements

Everyone..

Please go along with me, I'm interested in people's Interests here.

Where do you live now..

What do you like about where you live now..

And if You had to move to another town/city in NEPA--- Where to and Why.

I'll Start.

I live in Wilkes Barre City. I like the urban feel, I like having the river and Kirby park in town, and all the shopping centers and the ease of which the roads travel.

If i had to move, it would be pittston.. where are the italians go.. plus they have a pretty little waterfront too

Please the more the merrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 PM

567 posts, read 1,305,545 times
I'd like to add. I like living in Wilkes Barre City the Best.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I live in Pittston Township, which is equidistant to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre in Northern Luzerne County.

I like being able to hop in my vehicle and be in Downtown Wilkes-Barre or Downtown Scranton in about ten minutes, considering our home is literally a half-mile from the I-81 interchange. I like our relatively high elevation of 900 feet above sea level that gives us a slight "edge" in snow fall totals during snow storms over our lower-lying counterparts near the valley floor (about 550' above sea level). I like the fact that our municipality has no property taxes and free garbage collection. I like that our township has a surprisingly high LGBT population in relation to the rest of NEPA (just about every LGBT individual I went to high school with lives in Pittston Township). I like that our township has one of the highest concentrations of Italian-Americans in the region---eye candy!

I don't like the fact that growth pressures are detrimentally impacting our quality-of-life. I'm awoken every morning now by the crews from Mericle as they excavate and plow over more land to build more distribution centers in a new phase of Center Point, and the construction of the 250,000 square foot Pittston Crossings shopping area will be underway within the next few months. Our narrow roads are being overstressed, our local police force is woefully under-prepared for the rising issues with crime (we never see a township officer patrolling our subdivision) and traffic congestion (i.e. we still don't have a traffic cop to control rush-hour volume at the accident-prone intersection of Route 315 @ Oak Street). I don't like the fact that our community disbanded its curbside recycling service, as now many of my lazier neighbors just chuck plastics, glass, newspapers, etc. into the trash instead of doing their civic duty by driving to the township's recycling center along Route 11. I don't like that people here all bought vehicles that didn't come standard with turn signals. I don't like the fact that there are very few sidewalks here so residents can't walk, jog, run, ride bikes, etc. I don't like that different zones are so isolated from one another; we are far from being a "walkable" community. I don't like the favoritism and "buddy-buddy" persona amongst the local school board or township affairs. I don't like the fact that most of my neighbors won't wave back to me when I drive by and wave to them first. I don't like the fact that too many of my neighbors let their pets roam freely, forcing me to run out and shoo them away before they start killing rabbits. I don't like the "keeping up with the Jones's" mentality.

If I could live anywhere else in NEPA it would be in Kingston. I'd be within a mile's walk of Downtown Wilkes-Barre from anywhere in the borough so that I could walk to the upcoming restaurants and nightlife in the city. The borough's tree-lined streets, flat topography, and plentiful sidewalks in mostly impeccable condition make it a runner's paradise, along with the levee-top trail system, of course. The population is very highly educated and left-leaning; many quirky professors from Wilkes and King's live here. Route 309 is a skip, hop, and a jump away, giving you access to the mall area or the Back Mountain in under ten minutes. Kingston has a relatively high population of Asian-Americans, Ukrainian-Americans, Jewish families, and a noticeable LGBT community, giving it an edge of diversity. Kingston has some great restaurants, including Dagwood's, Kazimi, Theo's Metro, Pierce Street Deli, Bake House, and many others. The neighborhoods couldn't be any more pleasant---smaller older homes with character on narrow lots (and affordably-priced with most going in the low-to-mid-$100k range).

Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times
I live in Scranton now, i'm not crazy about it, i like the fact that it's close to shopping. I would move back to Gouldsboro because i like the country and everything that goes with it.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:29 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
I live in North Scranton.
I love my apartment and my son's elem school.
Not sure on where I am ending up...
I would love to live in Moscow, Clark Summit or Waverly would be my preference, but hubby is not going to let that happen!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:01 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
[quote=MovingOutOfNJ;8255820]Everyone..

Please go along with me, I'm interested in people's Interests here.

Where do you live now..Saylorsburg

What do you like about where you live now..Everything but the poison ivy. My son can't even go in the woods around our home. At least three times a year he gets whacked with the rash..all over head to toe. We have spent a lot of money & time trying to eradicate it to no avail.

And if You had to move to another town/city in NEPA--- Where to and Why. I would only move to property that did not have poison ivy.

I'll Start.

I live in Wilkes Barre City. I like the urban feel, I like having the river and Kirby park in town, and all the shopping centers and the ease of which the roads travel. I went to Coulghlin High School, so once in a while my friends and I would (mom..close your ears) skip school and go to Kirby Park for the day. I loved it so much.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:16 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Brodheadsville......Why I like it........Because it doesn't have a gate and rules ( I did that for 8 years, here there is just 10 keep it neat rules, on my deed) I felt very "free" the day I moved in...

What I LOVE about it.......Its peaceful, and complete.....the views of farms and mountains are awesome. It has a joy about it.

What I don't like........We truely need a department store. I wish we had a regular downtown area also.

Where I would move to.......I'd move to Harveys Lake....because I grew up by many lakes in NJ......Arrowhead Lake, Indian Lake, Rock Ridge Lake, Cedar Lake, and Estling lake.......even later Lk Hopatcong. So........I would really love to again be "by a lake"

Old 04-09-2009, 06:25 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
I spent a lot of summers at Harvey's Lake. It's a good spot! My Uncle lived there...and we'd go for a swim, then grab some of those delicious potato pancakes...and ice cream at that Dairy...was it Hilltop? Been a long time.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
I live in West Scranton and like it....close to school, church, stores, etc. Pizza and other restsurants and delis within walking distance. Where else I would live in the area? I grew up in the Mid-Valley, I guess I would live there again....that's a decent area to live in, not really much different than living in Scranton, other than everything being more of a drive up there.

The only negative I can say about where I live now is there seems to be a less-than-desirable element moving into this side of town (although not really in my neighborhood yet), and I fear any more cracking down on crime/blight in South Side will result in more of these people moving into West Side. I do not want to be the next South Side. The wage tax also sucks, but the property taxes aren't bad, so that's pretty much a wash.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:11 PM

126 posts, read 326,995 times
This is an interesting thread :0)...

Where do you live now..Honesdale

What do you like about where you live now..Nice, peaceful town but it still has a few 'things to do"....bowling, movies, shopping--although it is minimal or expensive at the "touristy" places. It has a great small town feel and I love the park in town! The diner is great, the library is wonderful. I feel pretty safe.We enjoy the scouts, the volunteer work, as well as the sense that the community tries to care for it's own.
We have lived in a gated community as well as Moscow---which was nice as it was closer to the better shopping choices, but COSTLY in re to homes.

And if You had to move to another town/city in NEPA--- Where to and Why.
Hmmm? I don't know if I would really want to move anywhere else---Clarks Summit is VERY nice but VERY costly for homes! The only real negative thing I could say about my own experiences here is that it is difficult to get to know the people---people seem a tad distant. Alomst like newbies that move in have to 'earn" the towns friendship---if that even makes sense?? but I guess that can be anywhere! Truth be told, the only place I would move to is a Brownstown in Park Slope in good 'ole Brooklyn, NY--but since I don't have a spare $3million, I guess we'll stay here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania