Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:08 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

We have 2 kids who will be attending Scranton secondary schools sometime next year.We are looking in Greenridge,The upper hill and North Scranton - or at least some streets with "North" in their names.
Brokers say "all the schools are good" which I can't trust since they all seem to send THEIR kids to Abington schools.
Be that as it may, I am a dedicated urban pioneer and I am swearing off the parking lot culture of the 'burbs for the diversity of small city life.
Does anyone know anything about each HS and which areas are served by them? Does one have a better reputation than the other? Which one is considered a better choice for college bound students.
How about the arts? I have heard that one HS was artier and offered more classes and opportunities. any feedback would be very useful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:12 AM

65 posts, read 141,197 times
I think that what you should do is take a look at the website and find which of these two high schools fit your childrens needs more. Contact each of the schools and make an appointment to take a look around each and find out exactly what they offer.

Now if you are looking to get away from large schools then I would suggest that West H.S. would be more of what you are looking for. I think that each of these schools offers what you want however there are many more students at Scranton High than are at West High.
website for the ssd : Scranton School District

Old 02-23-2009, 03:27 AM

65 posts, read 141,197 times
Actually I just took a trip through that website and if it's the arts that you are looking for Scranton HS is the place for your children.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:02 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am a dedicated urban pioneer and I am swearing off the parking lot culture of the 'burbs for the diversity of small city life!

There is no bus service so make sure you live close to one or the other. There are plenty of parking lots in Scranton and even at the high schools. They also both have a dress code...

Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I'd recommend Scranton High School for the arts. They have the best high school choral program I've ever seen in our region---the group even sang "Ain't No Party Like a Scranton Party" for Hillary Clinton (see links below)! Being a more modern facility they probably also have more on-site resources for students who are more artistically inclined. The only downside, as AbbeysMom already pointed out, is that Scranton High is rather MASSIVE. If you're looking for a smaller school that still places a high emphasis upon the arts, then Scranton Prep is another option (albeit an expensive one---if I were already paying such exorbitant property taxes to the Scranton School District I'd send my kids there to get my money's worth).

In any event I do admire your undeterred passion to give city living in Scranton a shot. As I potentially relocate out of the region, my top priority is to find an in-town 1-bedroom apartment in either Arlington or Alexandria, Virginia, even if I have to pay a premium in rent for that convenience. I've had it with this suburban Stepford nonsense.

Contrary to popular belief Scranton has a rapidly growing arts/cultural community that I find to be quite refreshing. It's nice to see people who actually READ on occasion too! LOL! As soon as the weather improves my friends and I hope to scope out a First Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWXwVsjRhfE "Ain't No Party Like a Scranton Party" (Hillary Clinton Version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY0lb...eature=related "Come Sail Away"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7kPf...eature=related "Praise His Holy Name" (Don't Know How a Christian Song Ended up in an Urban Public School, But I'm Not Complaining)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e-MaSsmP9c "Longest Time" (Male Tenors)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTt2T...eature=related "Sherman Burdette's Coming to Town" (Scranton Jaycees Santa Parade/WNEP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPPFA...eature=related "Ain't No Party Like a Scranton Party" (Urban Version & My Personal Favorite Video)

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 02-23-2009 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: Addition of YouTube Links

Old 02-23-2009, 12:19 PM

109 posts, read 366,892 times
I am an alumni of Scranton High School. I can't say anything about the new school, as I attended the "old" school (which is now the middle school).
But, I can say that the teachers are terrific. I know some have retired, as I graduated over 10 yrs ago, but many are still there. I agree with ScranBarre that for what you pay in taxes, I would want my children to go to the newer school, but that is just my opinion. I received a great education and there were so many extracurricular activities that really helped shape me, not only as a student, but as a person. I have such fond memories!
Best of luck with your move.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:44 PM
mgb

97 posts, read 260,804 times
My daughter graduated from Scranton High and loved the school. She took courses that earned college credits and entered Temple Univ with 19 credits. She will graduate early because of that, saving roughly $10,000

Old 02-23-2009, 08:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb View Post
My daughter graduated from Scranton High and loved the school. She took courses that earned college credits and entered Temple Univ with 19 credits. She will graduate early because of that, saving roughly $10,000
So much for the suburban schools being "better." I went to hoighty-toighty Pittston Area and graduated with ZERO college credits under my belt because the townspeople are only intelligent enough to care about football. Needless to say my own future children will NOT be attending my alma mater!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:21 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
You guys are great! Thanks so much for the help! I read the web sites but there is nothing like hearing it from people who actually have experience with the schools!
All of your information is greatly appreciated!
As for myself I am just going to look for a house that "calls to me" - both schools seem fine. I'm sure that they each have their strong points.
PS Scran-Barre you crack me up ..."suburban Stepford nonsense"... very nice -I think I currently live on Stepford Circle...or Wisteria Lane...?...Won't miss it one bit.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
I'm sure Scranton High School is academically a good school, but its just too big for my tastes, and it does draw its students from some of the worst sections of town....South Side and Pinebrook, among others. Plus, Scranton High is a far distance from most of the students who attend there.....and the district does not bus high school students. With West HS, only kids from West Side go there, and the school is pretty much walking distance from anywhere except West Mountain. Its a smaller school, that is academically just as good as Scranton High, and there is more of a sense of community in West Side than in other parts of town. I would think that most kids are just a number at Scranton High, just based on the sheer size of the school.

When I was looking for a house, the only part of Scranton I would consider was West Side, and the schools were a big part of that decision. I wasn't about to pay a 3.4% wage tax to have to send my kids to Northeast Intermediate, South Intermediate, or Scranton HS. If I didn't happen to find a house at a low price in a good West Side neighborhood, I would be living outside of Scranton.

Also, do you have any kids who will be in the elementary schools? All of the West Side elementary schools are good, and I believe all of the North Scranton elementary schools are good (I've heard good things about Robert Morris and Neil Armstrong). I would avoid the South Side schools like the plague.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 02-25-2009 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania