Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times

Advertisements

Everyday I wake up and read the two W-B papers, and I'm shocked by what has been happening! It's breathtaking, and jaw dropping just how rotten, and screwed up this county is. Scandals so appaling, that they have made news around the world! Elected officials and row officers coming and going as they please, and getting payed a ton of money for nothing! Corrupt probation officers! Judges with ties to the mob! Zero accountability! 100% incompetence! debit card scandals! Crooked prothonatary's! Crooked probation officers! William Sharkey stealing a county vehicle for five months, and nobody notices'?! Hiring all his incompetent, unqualified family members Judges locking up children for profit! The county controller in a drunken DUI accident exits his vehicle WITH HIS PANTS DOWN! Oh,... AND NOBODY CAN FIRE HIM!!! What is this China or Cuba? THIS IS OUR TAX DOLLARS HARD AT WORK!!! Just one of these stories is bad enough to cause people to lose faith in the system, but look how breathtakingly bad this is! I'm affraid to open the newspaper. At least The Times Leader, Citizens Voice, and WILK are bennefitting from this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
...and yet everyone in this county will vote for a straight Democratic ticket until the day they die because "my father did, his father did, yada, yada, yada!"

Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
...and yet everyone in this county will vote for a straight Democratic ticket until the day they die because "my father did, his father did, yada, yada, yada!"
You have a point about the old timers that keep voting the same ticket over and over and over again, but to be honest, all these scandals are just breaking now, after all these weasles have already been elected. The problem is there is no recourse to get rid of them until they are up for re-election?! Is that insane or what? Unless they get hauled off to prison by the FBI, then we are pretty much stuck with them! (Exihibit A: A.J. Martinelli) What kind of wacky system is this!!! I'd expect something like this from Sadam Hussien, but Luzerne County? This IS still America... right? I'm not too sure anymore. I'd like to think that had the voters known about all this before hand, that they never would've voted for these cockroaches... but then again, this is Luzerne County, and voters here would probably vote for Satan himself if he was a democrat! This story has made world headlines and 20/20 is coming to town to do a national story on this mess! What an embarrassment! And people wonder why good buisnessess will not relocate here. Who wants to move a buisness to a county that is so corrupt, incompetent, and disfunctional. It's like letting all the prisoners out of Pelican Bay, and allowing them to run the county. I'm sorry, that was a cheap shot at the prisoners from Pelican Bay. Actually they would probably do a better job running the county! It is a shame that such a beautiful majestic building like Luzerne County Courthouse is home to such criminal incompetence!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:22 AM

127 posts, read 290,468 times
FWIW - love him or hate him, Steve Corbett used to write about these corrupt officials when he worked for the Times Leader many years ago. As much as people can't stand him on WILK - he was usually spot on in the Leader and would call them out time and again.

The corruption in Luzerne County's Courthouse and Administration has been going on for MANY years. Some tend to turn a blind eye or not get involved. Wake up! It IS your tax dollars going to waste in more ways than one.

Case in point - the juvie system. Child remanded to a facility, the juvenile system applies for welfare for the child being detained - yet another way for them to take tax money in addition to having parents pay a daily fee for their child being remanded for however long they are there, and at the same time lining a judges pockets.

Lackawanna County is equally as corrupt. It will take a bit longer for them to hit the front and center BUT don't count on the Scranton Times to print much at first. They pretty much strike out when it comes to reporting some news.

As far as Moran resigning - she had no choice. Once the dots start getting connected they fall like dominos.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrovintage View Post
FWIW - love him or hate him, Steve Corbett used to write about these corrupt officials when he worked for the Times Leader many years ago. As much as people can't stand him on WILK - he was usually spot on in the Leader and would call them out time and again.

The corruption in Luzerne County's Courthouse and Administration has been going on for MANY years. Some tend to turn a blind eye or not get involved. Wake up! It IS your tax dollars going to waste in more ways than one.

Case in point - the juvie system. Child remanded to a facility, the juvenile system applies for welfare for the child being detained - yet another way for them to take tax money in addition to having parents pay a daily fee for their child being remanded for however long they are there, and at the same time lining a judges pockets.

Lackawanna County is equally as corrupt. It will take a bit longer for them to hit the front and center BUT don't count on the Scranton Times to print much at first. They pretty much strike out when it comes to reporting some news.

As far as Moran resigning - she had no choice. Once the dots start getting connected they fall like dominos.
I keep hearing this "Lackawanna County is just as bad" but what are you all talking about? I haven't heard a ligitamate peep about Lackawanna County corruption from a worthy source...just people's opinions and hearsay. Lackawanna County looks like a bunch of saints and alter boys compared to the outright "crime family" that has been running Luzerne County. I can't imagine Lackawanna County or Chicago or any other place in America being as corrupt and inept as Luzerne County right now. Lackawanna County's " government issues" seem so puny and insignifigant right now compared to the tidal wave of corruption, mob ties, blatant abuse of power, and criminal activity that has destroyed Luzerne County. I remember a few weeks ago everyone up Scranton way got all outraged because city counsel proposed giving themselves a raise and I almost burted out laughing thinking to myself come down here to Wilkes-Barre or Luzerne County for a month and see just how bad it really could be. Lackawanna County looks like "Mr.Rogers Neighborhood" when compared to Luzerne County

Old 02-24-2009, 04:43 PM

343 posts, read 604,111 times
I have a friend who works for the Times Leader as a reporter. He seems to have job security at the moment due to all the corruption unlike other papers across the country (Philadelphia Inquirer, etc.) He is so busy!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
I have a friend who works for the Times Leader as a reporter. He seems to have job security at the moment due to all the corruption unlike other papers across the country (Philadelphia Inquirer, etc.) He is so busy!
Amen! By the way The Times Leader and The Citizens Voice are doing a world class, outstanding job bringing all this sludge to the surface. So of the reporters working there are so good at what they do, they can probably work for any newspaper in the nation, and we are lucky enough to have them right here in Wilkes-Barre. I believe because we are lucky enough to have two competing newspapers (with a long history of dislike for each other), this is a driving force that makes both newspapers strive for excellence to "one up" each other, and drive them to both be outstanding newspapers. We are very lucky to have two competing newspapers in Wilkes-Barre, while most other much larger metro areas are on the brink of bankrupcy with only one newspaper i.e. Philadelphia and San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania