Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2007, 06:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

I have some wonderful news to present to you all! I just read in the Scranton Times-Tribune today that after several decades of constant decline, the population of Lackawanna County (Metro Scranton) is finally growing again. I predicted that this turnaround would occur around 2010, so I must admit that even I'm surprised to see my own hypothesis expediated by three years. Granted, the rise was small, but this signals a PIVOTAL time in the history of NEPA. For the past FIFTY years, the county has been observing a deep decline, so folks all over Lackawanna County should uncork the champagne and invite Steve Carrell to visit along with the cast of "The Office" because, as we all know "There ain't no party like a Scranton party 'cause a Scranton party don't stop!" Here's a link to the article highlighting the reasons behind this turnaround and why it is expected to continue: http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/site...d=416046&rfi=6

I had long expected that the massive growth pouring into neighboring Pike and Monroe Counties on account of the westward progression of NYC's new exurban frontier would hit Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Luzerne County (Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton), is showing its second straight year of population growth, and this year's growth was larger than last year's. Judging by the amount of interest in NEPA on this forum, I'd tend to think this trend will continue for some time to come, especially as the Poconos become more overcrowded and overpriced and people start tumbling down the Pocono Plateau and into our valley cities. I welcome you all with open arms to our wonderful area; I just plead that as many of you as possible would PLEASE try to locate an already-existing home vs. tearing down trees for a new home. The lush mountains surrounding our cities should be treasured and restored---NOT sold out to greedy housing developers. I know several of you have expressed interest in the city of Scranton itself, and I applaud you for it. However, there are plenty of compromises to be had in our area as well---newer housing developments located within "in-town" locations, and I'd be happy to provide you with information about any or all of these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania