Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:32 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,599 times

Advertisements

You will do very well in life....first have a plan and a goal...you are on the right track....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 AM

193 posts, read 542,440 times
Hey Paul what am i going to do without you. Us being some of the few young ones. Well you better poke your head around all the time. We need your quick wit.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:22 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
I was going to start a u-haul business down there... i was going to call it Y'ALL HAUL

Old 03-19-2009, 04:35 AM

537 posts, read 1,331,874 times
Default Good to hear!

Glad to hear you are getting out. I expect Paul to enjoy our Nation's Capital periodically and hope to see some exciting photographs of Dupont Circle, etc! (Rte. 7 to Falls Church Station!)

Last edited by AmeriKenArtist; 03-19-2009 at 04:54 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 06:55 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,451,260 times
Paul, I hope you're planning on taking some time off between now & when you move, to enjoy NEPA & get yourself geared up!!!

My friend in NOVA was telling me the other day how much he & his wife hate it there 'cause of how phony & plastic everybody is....PLEASE don't get caught up in that scene!!! Stay real!!!

We don't wanna have to start callin' you "StepfordBarre"!!!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:59 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times
Best of luck to you Paul. I'll bet you don't stay in NOVA long, but once you're in with the government you can apply for openings anywhere, with the federal government, you'll probably have a lot of choices of where you want to transfer to....you never know, you could always end up back in NEPA. Most people I know who moved to the DC area worked there for a few years and then moved either back home or to a location that's less hectic. But I would say this is a good opportunity for you.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 AM

201 posts, read 538,754 times
Paul - I haven't checked in in a while so this is new info to me but I want to wish you the best of luck! I am sure you will do great. I do hope you come back in the future. When will you be leaving? I pray everything works out for you. You will be missed.
Cheryl

Old 03-19-2009, 10:15 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Paul, I hope you're planning on taking some time off between now & when you move, to enjoy NEPA & get yourself geared up!!!

My friend in NOVA was telling me the other day how much he & his wife hate it there 'cause of how phony & plastic everybody is....PLEASE don't get caught up in that scene!!! Stay real!!!

We don't wanna have to start callin' you "StepfordBarre"!!!
Hey George!

Ironically enough there's a very popular thread right now on the NoVA sub-forum regarding that very same "Stepford Effect" that one gets after living there too long. It is more specfically directed towards the suburb of Ashburn, but from what I've seen via satellite imagery in my research a good 90% of that area resembles an urban planner's worst nightmare while simultaneously being a Desperate Housewive's ultimate wet dream! LOL!

You don't need to worry about me becoming "infected." I may come off snobby by my writing tone at times (especially during heated debates), but all in all I'm just a gangly middle-class kid from whitebread suburbia and will someday be a gangly middle-class white guy from the city. I'll be "slumming it up" in NoVA with my 10-year-old Ford sedan, and my next purchase in 2010 when my finances permit will likely be either a Ford Focus or a Toyota Corolla---not "flashy" by any means. I'm content with grilled cheese, Kraft macaroni & cheese, Ramen soup, and bologna sandwiches as my primary meals. My guilty confession is that I often times wear an outfit multiple times before washing it, using Febreze if necessary, in order to avoid the time and expense of doing the laundry more frequently! Everyone keeps telling me "you're not going to make it on $42,000 per year living by yourself in NoVA," but then again they're probably also assuming I have the same uncontrollable urges to cave into that materialistic "bubble" that is so evident in the DC 'burbs.

As a matter of fact as of a few more weeks I will officially be "unemployed by choice" as I spend a few weeks reflecting upon my upcoming graduation and making a few visits down to my new "turf" to explore. I have more than enough in savings to get me by through summer, even if my start date gets pushed way back due to the recession (my peers at PwC, Reznick, and other major private accounting firms have all had this happen to them). I'm going to "live it up" for a few weeks---grabbing a Coney Island weiner (no, the actual HOT DOG---gutter minds!), trying to find a way to LIKE Old Forge pizza, and having one last hike at Ricketts Glen (accompanied by a photo tour).

Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,599 times
very good...all the best...when exactly are you starting?

Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,451,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Hey George!

Ironically enough there's a very popular thread right now on the NoVA sub-forum regarding that very same "Stepford Effect" that one gets after living there too long. It is more specfically directed towards the suburb of Ashburn, but from what I've seen via satellite imagery in my research a good 90% of that area resembles an urban planner's worst nightmare while simultaneously being a Desperate Housewive's ultimate wet dream! LOL!
I'm glad you won't become "Stepfordally Infected"!! (we already have a Mushroom here that's infected, though I don't think it's the same disease)

One thing I hate about going down to Palm Beach is that crap!! Buncha phonies!!

Even though I know it's hard for you to believe, I can be a little sarcastic.... I absolutely LOVE when one of those "Stepford People" get in my space!!

We went to Palm Beach Whole Foods the other day, & I was starting to spoon some Indian food off their hot-bar into a to-go container. This "dolled-up" plastic beyotch barges right in front of me to read the ingredients in the dish. I had to back outta her way (dripping spoon in hand) or she woulda run me over!!! I can't use the language I did on these forums, but let it be said she backed off right quick!!

Then we go to leave after paying. I hold the door for the guy behind me & he just breezes right by like I'm the doorman... I always scream at the top of my lungs "they don't pay me to hold the door...YOU'RE WELCOME"!!!!

I LOVE the reactions it brings.... Me?? Sarcastic??? Pshaw!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania