Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:07 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times

Advertisements

I owe a few people on our sub-forum an apology. I've been a bit irritable as of late (stress about my impending relocation coupled with the awful weather we can't seem to shake), and I made a few snarky remarks in another thread that recently had to be closed by Retired Law 08 because it was spiraling down a dangerous path.

I suppose the reason why I make snide remarks about "geezers" from time to time is that I just resent the fact that a large reason that Scranton/Wilkes-Barre continues to be held back from TRUE progress is because of our very high concentration of older people. I believe I read somewhere that our state has the second-grayest population behind Florida (or Arizona?) We're the oldest area of one of the oldest states. When a prospective high-tech, high-paying employer looks at our demographics information and sees a dearth of college-educated younger people, they go elsewhere, leaving us with people who are actually HAPPY that Sallie Mae is bringing us $9/hr. jobs at a call center as if we're supposed to be "grateful." Whenever something PROMISING comes to our area (commuter rail to NYC, Coldplay concert, downtown redevelopment initiatives, medical college, Yankees, etc.) the locals either automatically slam it into the ground or don't support it out of spite. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre was in steep decline for about 50 years following the collapse of the mining industry. Now that it is just FINALLY starting to turn around for the better (even our population has grown for the past few years), I'm just tired of the same folks sitting around in their rocking chairs trying to hold back progress as they touch the screen to vote all Democrat no matter what in every election, vote against civil equality for the LGBT community, act nastily towards newcomers to the region, begrudge people from NY and NJ, refer to every Hispanic as an "illegal", etc. Our area's impending renaissance is VERY fragile, and anyone who stands in its way IS going to get a large verbal shut-out from yours truly! If I'm moving back here at some point to help care for my family, then it BETTER have improved over the years instead of having declined.

I suppose my anger is misguided towards the older generations, but I just don't foresee how this area is supposed to progress and become a good place to live if younger people continue to move away because we are continuously shut out of important policy decisions, input into our community's redevelopment initiatives, etc.? I've had to grieve as I wave good-bye to friend after friend as they leave the area, and now I, too, am moving away, possibly NEVER to return, as my own parents are considering relocating out of the area for retirement as well. It's just a vicious cycle to feel so alone. Most guys my age are either straight and are just looking to get plastered at a dive bar before scoring with a chick or are bi/gay and are looking for the "Twist" sort of lifestyle that I find to be rather abhorrent. Most with my line of thinking have ALREADY moved to NYC, NJ, SEPA, DC, etc. Our area is doomed if it can't figure out how to start RETAINING us! There are SOME bright spots with folks like sheena12, MovingOutofNJ, and EnyaGirl moving here, but the numbers coming in are just a trickle compared to the hordes leaving.

In conclusion I apologize for being such a horse's ass. I'm just angry that three years ago I saw such hope for this region's revival, and now it is becoming increasingly apparent with each passing day that it is never going to come to fruition.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:47 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,692,317 times
Now then, if you have that mentality nothing will ever change, does a soldier go to war without hope that he can win? No.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:00 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
I'm just sorry to have ruffled so many feathers. I also caused a huge ruckus on the Northern Virginia forum with my anti-sprawl ranting and raving because, naturally, people don't like being told that their way of life is not sustainable in the long-term. Even though I still don't agree with the premise of "I'll do whatever I want and live wherever I want because I can" in an era of increasing environmental consciousness, I decided it was best to just eat crow and humble myself down there too so I don't create too many arch-enemies before I even move in! I'm just in a weird mood right now. I'm a cross between frustrated that I can't find anywhere nice to live where I'm moving to, depressed that yet ANOTHER major political scandal is about to break, giving our area another black eye in the national spotlight (stay tuned), and am becoming disgruntled by my parents driving me bloody bonkers over my impending relocation.

I'M the one who is going to be paying $1,200+/month of MY money for an apartment, so I want to be the one to make the decision of where I'm going to be living! The way I see it is if they're going to try to "force" me to go somewhere else where I'll be unhappy, then they're going to foot my rent bill! I already lost the love of my life when I was 17 because they thought they knew what was "best" for me and for their status in the community, and now here I am 22 and bitterly alone. Well that worked out to be great parenting, didn't it?! It's just irking me right now that I'm about to turn 23 later this year, and I'm still being forced to FIGHT to let the umbilical cord be cut! Now the latest brou-ha-ha is that they want to FORCE me to get a new car because my current car is older, has high mileage, and isn't exactly "hip." I want to retain my existing car until it falls apart around me so that I can wait to make a purchase until I am more financially secure when I rise in rank. Once again, I will argue that if THEY think I "need" a new car so badly, then THEY should feel free to pay for it! I'm just tiring of everyone else near to me pulling me in so many different directions right now when all I want to do is break free and live my OWN life! It's made me very, very NASTY to be around lately, hence all of the fighting with everyone on this forum and the NoVA sub-forum.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I suppose my anger is misguided towards the older generations, but I just don't foresee how this area is supposed to progress and become a good place to live if younger people continue to move away because we are continuously shut out of important policy decisions, input into our community's redevelopment initiatives, etc.?
Ahh but majority rules remember. As I said in those numerous smoking bill threads just because it's a majority doesn't make it right. It'd ironic that those often spouting the majority argument are often the same ones yelling the loudest when the shoe is on the other foot.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:25 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,955,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm just sorry to have ruffled so many feathers. I also caused a huge ruckus on the Northern Virginia forum with my anti-sprawl ranting and raving because, naturally, people don't like being told that their way of life is not sustainable in the long-term. Even though I still don't agree with the premise of "I'll do whatever I want and live wherever I want because I can" in an era of increasing environmental consciousness, I decided it was best to just eat crow and humble myself down there too so I don't create too many arch-enemies before I even move in! I'm just in a weird mood right now. I'm a cross between frustrated that I can't find anywhere nice to live where I'm moving to, depressed that yet ANOTHER major political scandal is about to break, giving our area another black eye in the national spotlight (stay tuned), and am becoming disgruntled by my parents driving me bloody bonkers over my impending relocation.

I'M the one who is going to be paying $1,200+/month of MY money for an apartment, so I want to be the one to make the decision of where I'm going to be living! The way I see it is if they're going to try to "force" me to go somewhere else where I'll be unhappy, then they're going to foot my rent bill! I already lost the love of my life when I was 17 because they thought they knew what was "best" for me and for their status in the community, and now here I am 22 and bitterly alone. Well that worked out to be great parenting, didn't it?! It's just irking me right now that I'm about to turn 23 later this year, and I'm still being forced to FIGHT to let the umbilical cord be cut! Now the latest brou-ha-ha is that they want to FORCE me to get a new car because my current car is older, has high mileage, and isn't exactly "hip." I want to retain my existing car until it falls apart around me so that I can wait to make a purchase until I am more financially secure when I rise in rank. Once again, I will argue that if THEY think I "need" a new car so badly, then THEY should feel free to pay for it! I'm just tiring of everyone else near to me pulling me in so many different directions right now when all I want to do is break free and live my OWN life! It's made me very, very NASTY to be around lately, hence all of the fighting with everyone on this forum and the NoVA sub-forum.
Paul...the only comfort I can give you is...it all works out in the end, and if it hasn't worked out, IT IS NOT THE END! TRy and chill...take it as it comes, do what is best FOR YOU!

BTW...as someone entering the Fed culture a word to the wise, keep your personal life personal and don't go in like gang busters...learn the "office culture" slowly. I am a retired GS-11...the Fed world is yet another world onto itself!

Old 04-09-2009, 03:33 AM

811 posts, read 1,387,128 times
Just to let you know, not ALL gray-hairs sit around in their rocking chairs. My 81 year old mother still works FULL TIME, votes in every election, and looks forward to change. (She couldn't wait for the arena to be built so she could go to Penguins games! :-) )

Old 04-09-2009, 03:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
. My 81 year old mother still works FULL TIME, votes in every election,
Mine is going to 91 in a few days. The only thing slowing her down is a bad knee and you can see the fire in her eyes when it causes her problems.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:36 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,806,426 times
My mum is 85 and still driving, still playing bridge three times a week, still taking daily walks. Came to NY alone last year and is going on a cruise in Northern Europe this year!!

Paul ; I came to this country alone when i was 20. Now over 20 years later, I get chills even thinking about what I did. But it was the best thing I ever did and not a day goes by that I dont regret it. I thought I was going to conquer the world and change everyone. Well, I didnt. But I did eventually come to the realization that you are only responsible for your own happiness. Once you move away from friends and family, it is a totally different world. People accept you for you, not for your parents, partners etc.

You will do fine, its scary, but it will work out in the end. Dont be a stranger here at all. Sometimes one needs to move away from familiar surroundings to become the person that they are. My sons godfather wwanted to be a doctor but didnt get into med school at home. Instead he went to italy, not speaking a word of italian, started college there, then moved onto Germany again, not speaking a word of german but he graduated and is now a doctor in ireland back where he began. His partner is a teacher and they are very very happy and a wonderful couple. It will happen for you too ; sometimes it just takes time.

Good luck. i dont know if I made any sense, but i tried.

dorothy

Old 04-09-2009, 05:25 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
When your old gray-haired mayor is voted out of office, many years will pass before enough tax money is collected to pay off the debt that he incurred on Scranton's behalf...
When the major concern is to finance the openings (with no interest loans that never get repaid) of coffee houses, microbreweries, beauty salons, etc. to "bring jobs to the city"; when EVERY area that interests a politician's pals is designated a KOZ; when the (one) newspaper supports the administration and considers its readers not worthy of the truth, you have a city that deserves what it gets...Ever watched the Tuesday Night Comedy Hour?...
And if you young people won't stand and fight, how do you expect it to ever get better?...
Aside from your rant about the older population, you sound as if you're dealing with some other personal issues...I hope you're able to resolve them, or at least, move past them, and find the positives in your life...

Old 04-09-2009, 05:38 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,456,159 times
This is a story about a dog who was born on Christmas Eve in 2002.

He was born with 3 legs - 2 healthy hind legs and 1 abnormal front leg which needed to be amputated.

He of course could not walk when he was born. Even his mother did not want him.

He was rejected and scorned.

His first owner also did not think that he could survive. Therefore, he was thinking of putting him to sleep..

At this time, his present owner Jude Stringfellow came into his life and wanted to take care of him.

She was determined to teach and train this dog to walk by himself. She thought, all we need is a little faith.

Therefore she named him 'Faith.'

In the beginning, she put Faith on a surf board to let him feel the movements of the water. Later she used peanut butter on a spoon as a lure and to reward him for standing up and jumping around. Even the other dogs at home helped to encourage him to walk. Amazingly, after only 6 months, like a miracle, Faith learned to balance on his 2 hind legs and jumped to move forward. After further training in the snow, he can now walk like a human being.

Faith loves to walk around now.
No matter where he goes, he just attracts all the people around him. He is now becoming famous on the international scene. He has appeared in various newspapers and TV shows. There is even one book entitled 'With a little faith' being published about him.

He was even considered to appear in one of Harry Potter movies.

His present owner Jude Stringfellow has given up her teaching job and plans to take him around the world to preach, 'that even without a perfect body, one can have a perfect soul.'

In life there are always undesirable things.

Perhaps a person who feels things are not going as well as they could will feel better if they change their point of view and see things from another perspective.

Perhaps this message will bring fresh new ways of thinking to everyone.
Perhaps everyone can appreciate and be thankful for each beautiful day that follows.

Life is the continual demonstration of the power of thinking positive and having faith.

Believe in yourself.....and Gods power.

Never lose faith.
Attached Thumbnails
Ageism Apology-faith-1.jpg   Ageism Apology-faith-2.jpg   Ageism Apology-faith-3.jpg   Ageism Apology-faith-4.jpg   Ageism Apology-faith-5.jpg  

Ageism Apology-faith-6.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania