Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,858 times

Advertisements

we are moving to the Poconos when my husband retires in 3 years. My inlaws live in Gouldsboro,but I did not want to live that close to them. I had heard that East Stroudsburg was a decent area. Can someone please let me know about the town, and if there are more places we should consider. Scranton is far too large for us, but I am a pharmacy Tech and need to be near a hospital or pharmacy for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 12:02 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,243 times
You might want to consider Honesdale. Wayne County Memorial Hospital is there, as well as chain pharmacies nearby. Much quieter than Stroudsburg and lower taxes as well.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:15 PM

149 posts, read 636,533 times
I think that a more descriptive list of desires is required before someone can help you better, or you will get suggestions all over the map. What activities do you like (golf, shopping, hiking, ski,) ?? What kind of setting do you desire, town, rural, semi-rural? etc. If you let on to what you like & how far from Gouldsboro you want to be....you'll get better suggestions.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:24 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
we are in pike county by lake wallenpaupack... i personally wouldnt move anywhere near stroudsberg

Old 03-27-2009, 07:25 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldginpa View Post
You might want to consider Honesdale. Wayne County Memorial Hospital is there, as well as chain pharmacies nearby. Much quieter than Stroudsburg and lower taxes as well.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dont tell everyone

Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Honesdale would be my recommendation as well. I would avoid The Stroudsburgs. They are just going to continue to sprawl themselves into one giant suburb with all of the drawbacks---higher traffic, higher crime, higher taxes, crowded schools, yada, yada, yada. LOL!

Old 03-28-2009, 09:24 AM

487 posts, read 1,375,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dont tell everyone
You're absolutely right! Funny thing, I remember attending our first homeowners association meeting and telling one of our new neighbors about how I was telling everyone what a great community we have and how it was such a "find". She said to me exactly what you did.....shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:01 PM

24 posts, read 77,661 times
Some might say that Gouldsboro is large enough that you wouldnt be running into the in-laws all that often. If the move is 3 years off, consider buying a lot and building a custom home. Builders are dying out there and you might get a great deal. Lakeview Estates is a really really nice neighborhood (i own there). Lots with waterviews are going for just under $100k. Last I saw, there was one selling through Weichert.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:43 PM

467 posts, read 1,489,199 times
Definitely stay away from the Stroudsburgs...Go further west on 80 toward where you in laws are.
You would be much safer.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:14 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
Newfoundland is also nice and rural. Anywhere in Pike and Wayne county will work nicely - in my opinion. If you want REAL rural and REAL pretty, consider Northern Wayne County (Damascus, Lake Como, Equinunk) BUT the draw back of that is, you're a half hour from Honesdale which is the main town and where the hospital, pharmacies, and shopping centers are...)

Living in Gouldsboro, or the Hamlin area might open more job opportunities for you - you would be closer to Scranton yet still be in "the country." Scranton has several major hospitals (Mercy, CMC, Moses Taylor...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania