Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:51 AM

904 posts, read 2,054,336 times

Advertisements

Hey, Anyone getting TV off the air waves around here? If so, what channels do you get, and anyone know where they all broadcast from?

I extended my intro pricing on Commiecast for another 6 months, but I'm dying to ditch them and build a MythTV (a DIY Tivo), as most of what we watch is PBS and major networks.

I connected the rooftop antenna to the TV and get a decent number of stations, and they're mostly really sharp. But, tried it the other night during the rain and reception was pretty bad. Here's what I've picked up:

16 WNEP (ABC) not digital
22-1 WYOU (CBS) spotty
26-1 WBRE (NBC) sharp
38-1 WSWB (CW) sharp
44-1 WVIA (PBS) sharp
44-2 WVIA sharp
44-3 (Create) sharp
45-3 (Fox?) spotty not coming in right now
45-4 spotty
45-5 (Fox News?) spotty
64-1 (ION) sharp
64-2 (qubo) sharp
64-3 (ionlife) sharp
64-4 (worship) sharp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 11:20 AM

567 posts, read 1,305,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
16 WNEP (ABC) not digital
22-1 WYOU (CBS) spotty
26-1 WBRE (NBC) sharp
38-1 WSWB (CW) sharp
44-1 WVIA (PBS) sharp
44-2 WVIA sharp
44-3 (Create) sharp
45-3 (Fox?) spotty not coming in right now
45-4 spotty
45-5 (Fox News?) spotty
64-1 (ION) sharp
64-2 (qubo) sharp
64-3 (ionlife) sharp
64-4 (worship) sharp
Your doing better then me... I had all of those (fox on 56) before the analong cut... now that its digital i only get 16,22,28,and 44, I no longer get the rest of them and im pretty aggrivated about it too.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:19 PM

the 56's are coming in now, btw.

56-1 WOLF (Fox)
56-2 "PA's CW"
56-3 WQMY

(can't edit my orig post. that's whack.)

Old 03-28-2009, 11:29 PM

905 posts, read 2,399,970 times
Myth TV is great btw...

If you are missing some channels, I think an antenna is really the only thing you can do to improve it. I don't have cable where my TVs are, but I have everything set up through the internet. There's not much I watch on TV anyways though...mostly the news and PBS. I watch a lot of South park and those kind of shows but I just get them online anyways.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 AM

You have a Myth TV?

Just found a couple of sites for anyone who's interested in this stuff. Here's a list of all the stations w/in 50 miles of Scranton: Scranton, PA Area TV Broadcast Stations - GoodTimeScranton.com

Even better, TV Fool takes your address and shows you all the channels you should be able to get and where exactly they broadcast from, and their distance and direction info for pointing antennae: TV Fool
They also have maps with all the local broadcast points: TV Fool

The ones where my reception is sometimes spotty are from Mountain Top (though WVIA almost always comes in pretty well.) The other ones that always come in well are right up West Mountain.

And some background reading on the use of the spectrum.
DTV transition in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
North American broadcast television frequencies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently many stations are moving around after the transition period from UHF back to VHF (though I guess they'll keep the same "virtual" channel numbers.) So sounds like you need an antenna that's both UHF and VHF.

Yeah, not sure if it's worth trying to tweak the rooftop antenna or to try a new rooftop one. I may try one of these indoor omni-directional suckas first.

Can't wait for the internet to just eat these cable companies' lunch, but until then hoping to stick it to them however I can.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 7,437 times
I live about an hour above Harrisburg, Pa. When the analog goes I will be stuck with receiving nothing from Antenna.
Seems the Digital signal drops to nothing after about 35 miles. My only question was why didn't they think a little more into this whole DTV transition. Like putting relay transponders at certian points,either that or get the signal up - Analog signals 110 watts vs 7.5 for Digital.
Now that is a big difference !
Anyway I used to get channel 8,15,21,27,33,43 -( Harrisburg Area ) and turn the rotor an get 16,22,28,44,56 - ( Scraton Area ) .
Now come June 12, I will get nothing - for some reason that does not seem fair.
As if the people that live closer are free to receive free to air but, if you live another ten miles well, your screwed.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 PM

567 posts, read 1,305,414 times
Update on the situation in Wilkes Barre City---

Where i USED to get a couple of channels with NO fox at all..

I now get 16,22,28,44,45,and 64 clearly with only vague distortion when i'm laying in a certain position in my bed... (apparently i have my own magnetic force that my girlfriend just doesnt seem to have?) ...

but over time it seems as if they've amped up the signals.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
Update on the situation in Wilkes Barre City---

Where i USED to get a couple of channels with NO fox at all..

I now get 16,22,28,44,45,and 64 clearly with only vague distortion when i'm laying in a certain position in my bed... (apparently i have my own magnetic force that my girlfriend just doesnt seem to have?) ...

but over time it seems as if they've amped up the signals.
Cool, I'll have to do a channel scan again. I got the indoor omni-directional antenna I mentioned above, but the best picture I got was from hooking the signal amplifier that came with it to my rooftop antenna. Last I checked, all the area stations were coming in quite well except for 16-- which I still wasn't getting at all in digital.

Got CommieCast to extend my intro pricing for 6 months, so haven't felt pressed to experiment more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Mr.C View Post
Seems the Digital signal drops to nothing after about 35 miles.
Somewhere I read that digital works just as well with 1/5th as strong a signal as analog, but seems that in practice there are lots of caveats with that claim..

Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,778,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
44-1 WVIA (PBS) sharp
44-2 WVIA sharp
44-3 (Create) sharp
We in Harrisburg are envious. We stopped in Greater Pittston for a potty break on a trip north so I scanned on the WinTV in the back seat and found the three versions of PBS. Our 6yo was very impressed. Down here WITF sank all their money into a new building and CEO salary so there's only one DTV signal. Even WSKG in Binghamton has two. Maybe WITF is trying to drop the I from their callsign or something.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 PM

FYI, I wrote to the folks at WNEP (Ch. 16) to ask if they plan to boost their signal, as it's weaker than other stations.

Turns out they're getting a new transmitter that'll boost their signal 5 times. They expect to have it up in August.

The ditch-commiecast plan is coming together..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania