Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 11,157 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband, toddler and I will be moving to the area very soon. My husband will be working near the Best Western East Mountain Inn. We are looking for a nice neighborhood with newer homes near his work. We checked out Bear Creek Village & Laurelwood Estates, which are beautiful but I felt too isolated. I can't find any colonial homes (which I love!) for sale in Plains, Laflin or Jenkins Township so we are considering Mountain Top and the Pittston Area. I would prefer to live near my husband's work, the turnpike and be close to the WV mall, wegmans, etc. Which town is closer and has an easier commute? Which would you prefer to live in and why? Any advice or if you know other areas near his work would be greatly appreciated. We are excited to be moving to WB!!! Thank you for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:01 PM

149 posts, read 636,613 times
Depending on where in Pittston or Mt. Top you are looking, but the commute can't be but 5 minutes difference either way. Mt. Top has no real "downtown", so to speak. Basically it is multiple subdivisions within a few minutes of 309 or 81. I've lived in Mt.Top & surrounds for the past 14 yrs & like its proximity to 80, 81, & the PA Turnpike. I don't mind the commute "down" the mountain to shop via Wilkes-Barre. I would think property values are more substantial than Pittston. Pittston is a small town on the river with an aging downtown, but has great proximity to WB & the west side of the river. Great eats in and around Pittston. A lot of old Victorians in and around Pittston, but not any really new subdivisions. There is Blueberry Estates, nearby with some newer homes & that is about it. Call Jim Graham of Lewith & Freeman Real Estate, he happens to live & sell in Mountaintop, but has the listings in Blueberry....he will be a tremenous asset to your search. You can at least pick his brain...he will help you if he can. 570-715-9323 is his office number. Good luck!!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
If you are looking at Pittston, I highly recomend West Pittston, across the river from Pittston. There you will find nice neighborhood's, nice Victorian homes ect. Also look at Wyoming Ave. between the towns of Forty Fort Wyoming, and West Pittston. There are many stately, older homes along "the ave." as the locals say. If you want to be a little bit closer to wilkes-Barre but not in the city itself then check out Kingston directly across the river from Wilkes-Barre. There are nice, tree lined neighborhood's in Kingston, and it is in walking distance to W-B. Many area college professors, judges, and lawyers call Kingston home. Downtown Wilkes-Barre itself has "The Historic District" right in center city. Many older colonial brick homes, and Victorian style homes. This area is located in a college area. It is right in The Wilkes University neighborhood, and alot of these homes are used by college students. Anyway, if you have any other questions feel free to ask. I used to drive taxi in Wilkes-Barre and know the area and it's neighborhood's very well.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
With all due respect I must humbly disagree with one part of rcb's assessment in regards to there "not being many residential subdivisions in and around Pittston." Contrariwise there are dozens of housing developments within a five-mile radius of Tomato Town, and in my eyes this continued growth is ruining our quality-of-life as we cave into growth pressures from both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre (each just 10-15 minutes to our north and south, respectively).

Thousands of people in Greater Pittston live in subdivisions, including my own family (why people "like" developments is beyond my realm of comprehension though as they're often so disconnected from the rest of the community). Here's just a sampling of ones in and around town:

Blueberry Hill Estates
Breezewood
Butler Heights
Creekside Estates
Fairway Estates
Forest Heights at Blueberry Hill Estates
Fox Meadows
Gable Crest
Highland Hills
Hillcrest View
Horizon Estates
Ida Acres
Insignia Pointe
Insignia Pointe Courtyard
Laurel Hill
Ledgeview
Maple View
Oakwood Park
Paradise Park
Pocono Ridge Estates
Quail Hill
River Shores
Stauffer Heights
Stauffer Pointe
Strawberry Fields
Sunrise Estates
Susquehanna Estates
Valley View Estates
Willow View
Wynd Tree Oaks

If it were up to me I'd choose Greater Pittston over Mountain Top though for the sake of convenience. For as much as I haven't enjoyed growing up in Greater Pittston, I still can't argue with the fact that it's nice to be able to pull out of my driveway, hop onto I-81 in roughly one minute, and then be in Scranton or Wilkes-Barre in about 12-14 minutes. It's nice to look out our north-facing windows at night and see Scranton's city lights from our hilltop abode. The Pittston Area School District isn't as strong academically as Crestwood (Mountain Top), but in my eyes as a product of this district if you DO utilize all of the resources available then your child CAN succeed here.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 AM

149 posts, read 636,613 times
Sorry for any slights, but most of these subdivisions Scran Barre mentions are older. I did get the feel that the focus was on something newer. However, I never realized how many there were outside of Willow View & Blueberry. Susquehanna is in Plains, maybe?? Sunrise I believe, unless confused is in Trucksville. Which does open more options if you don't need to be directly in Pittston or Mt.Top. We attend church in Wilkes-Barre, and I can be downtown in approx. 12-15 minutes. Again, I would focus on a realtor to help you in your search.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:35 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,732 times
Mountaintop over Pittston - hands down!

All Pittston has is a tomato fesival once a year.

Mountaintop has lots of new developments with young families, and a very active welcome club which holds all sorts of moms' groups and things fro the kids. I lived up there from 2002- 2005 and thought it was the nicest area in NEPA.

Also, if you are new to the area, Mountaintop is a good place to be because there are lots of transplants, so making friends is easier.

Lastly, the Crestwood SD is much better than Pittston.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 AM

45 posts, read 94,980 times
First, where are you moving from?

I moved to mountain top a little over 3 years ago from long island NY. When I was looking into the area I choose mountain top because of the schools. From all that I have read and from what I have heard from others, crestwood schools are one of the best in the area. That was important to me.

As for mountain top, here is my take. I have to say I am very happy here. Lots of friendly people that seem to be genuine. There are a lot of transplants but they all seem to be searching for the same thing, a nice affordable place to live. I do miss some of the convenience of LI, everything on LI is right around the corner. In MT you have to drive about 15 min to get down to the shopping in WB (wegmans, mall, etc.). But at the same time I like the fact that the traffic and congestion these stores cause is a nice distance from my home. As another mentioned there is no real downtown in mountain top, just a few stores scattered about.

Homes, there are plenty of nice new homes in MT as well as older more private homes. Many developments if that is what you seek. I live in a new development and love it. There are about 75 homes in my development and about half are young families. It's great when I take a walk and my daughter runs from yard to yard playing with her friends.

I have only been to Pittston a few times so I really can't give any feedback. I have driven through Kingston a bunch of times and that does seem like a nice place to live. They have more in the way of local shopping and WB is only a few minutes away.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:53 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post

Lastly, the Crestwood SD is much better than Pittston.
I don't buy that the "prestigious" school districts around here are actually any better than the others around here. Sure, districts like Crestwood, Dallas, and Abington Heights may have a higher median income, and may have higher test scores due to the fact that the kids of affluent doctors and other professionals go to school there. But I would bet that if those same kids went to Pittston (or Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, etc) schools, they would do just as well as they would have at Crestwood, Dallas, Abington, etc. Ask Scranbarre, he seems to have done well for himself with his Pittston Area education.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:47 PM

Thank you for the help! We are working with a realtor right now but I think I should have asked for good realtors before we started! I'll let you all know where we end up.
Take care!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 PM

Wow! Thank you for all the neighborhoods., this will really help! By the way, loved the pictures you posted of Pittston. Take care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania