Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:28 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,120,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
WNEP rock solid popularity !!!! Not everyone feels that way. I personally can't stand Snedeker and Noreen Clark pleeeese !!!!
can handle clarke---but snedeker---pity the wife and kids---first weatherman i ever saw that rambles on nonsensically and gets paid for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 01:37 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
can handle clarke---but snedeker---pity the wife and kids---first weatherman i ever saw that rambles on nonsensically and gets paid for it!
It's not such a bad job. City-Data pays me $75,000 a year too just to spout my verbal diarrhea!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:42 PM

567 posts, read 1,299,259 times
lol if city-data paid you anything close to 45k... i dont think you'd be moving to VA lol

Old 04-04-2009, 01:46 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Paul you have 4 guys on an Island. 3 guys with a H.S. school diploma and one that is college educated. One is a farmer, one a mechanic, another is a hunter and the last one is a auditor. Who do you think gets voted off first?

Let me put it to you this way, if you had choose the one guy that goes who would you boot off? Keep in mind your survival depends on this.

The point is college education isn't everything in life. It's nice to have and glad you have been successful getting one but please don't think it gives you a license to look down upon anyone that doesn't.
It has nothing to do with have a degree. It has to do with ignorance and whether you choose to blisfully dwell within its boundaries or try to take a stand and better yourself. I've met some complete AIR HEADS with a "Ph.D." after their names who still thought they knew everything even though I was just waiting for a break in their conversation to point out an error (and this is going back to my high school era, mind you). I've also talked with some customers at work who dropped out of high school in the 1940s to enlist in our armed services, never bothered to get their G.E.D., worked hard all of their lives in manual labor, and have some amazing insight to share. I treasured those stories, and interacting with so many down-to-earth people like that is one thing I'll miss when I move to Virginia, where my area's median household income is in the six-figure category.

As I said some people just need to learn a thing or two about PRESENTATION. Half the people who called into WYOU's interactive newscasts had axes to grind and presented themselves as being very classless, often times leaving the guest speaker at a loss for words on as to how he/she should respond. I can say the same for 3/4 of the people who call into Talkback on WNEP, and probably about 4/5 of the people who used to call into the SAYSO column in the Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader. One fine example of this would be the weekly Scranton city council meetings, which we suburbanites sit and watch as a family with a bag of popcorn as "Must See TV." Consistently people like Dan Hubbard, Marie Schumacher, Nancy Krake, and only a select few others come off as being very classy, professional, well-intentioned, and even-tempered (although Dan has blown his top in the past). Then you have the other 2/3 (Les Spindler, Fay Franus, Sam Patilla, Ozzie "I fear aromatherapists" Quinn, Ray Lyman, etc.) who go up there and turn the entire affair into a 3-ring circus that reflects poorly upon the other 1/3 who are there for LEGITIMATE purposes. All it takes is one bad apple to ruin the bunch, and when you're trying to SELL yourself as an area you need to limit the amount of exposure that these bad seeds receive. In the case of the Scranton council meetings the only reason why you only see the same 15 people out of 72,500 there weekly is because the rest of the lot are afraid of having a "stigma" attached to them by everyone else if they show their face there, given the negative image that "goin' to da council meetin' " now has.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:49 PM

996 posts, read 3,264,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Paul you have 4 guys on an Island. 3 guys with a H.S. school diploma and one that is college educated. One is a farmer, one a mechanic, another is a hunter and the last one is a auditor. Who do you think gets voted off first?

Let me put it to you this way, if you had choose the one guy that goes who would you boot off? Keep in mind your survival depends on this.

The point is college education isn't everything in life. It's nice to have and glad you have been successful getting one but please don't think it gives you a license to look down upon anyone that doesn't.
Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking!

Old 04-04-2009, 03:01 PM

996 posts, read 3,264,145 times
Quote:

I soooo agree! By the time he finishes with his dog and pony show, I've tuned him out and miss the 10 seconds he devotes to the weather forecast.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:45 PM

947 posts, read 1,635,631 times
Quote:
I stopped watching them years ago. I'd love to have a job where I can be wrong 50% of the time, not get fired and get paid a six figure salary. The only time I watch is when Tom has to apologize for getting it so wrong. As for Snedeker, he not only comes off poorly with his presentation but I have heard one too many sexist and/or homophobic comments come out of his mouth.

Someone should bring back Vince Sweeney. He may not be a meteorologist but he got it right with Acuweather more than his peers and was always a class act.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:12 PM

537 posts, read 1,327,513 times
Default poor Vince

He always looked and acted as though he was slightly drunk or hung over... poor sot...

Old 04-05-2009, 06:23 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,575,872 times
Well, I guess I am of the minority here. After living in NJ for so long and watching the New York weatherman news.....It was a complete joy to have some laughter in the morning. ( sometimes a bit silly and out of wack for sure)
All I know is that I stood back.........looked at Joe outside........( unheard of at the time in the NY,NJ weather news) and could not get over it.
Outside in rain, snow, sleet.........watching the change of seasons behind him. This was a good way to do the weather. Right out there! Right with it! To me, it was so relaxing to see this laid back style.
Joe does many good things for the town of Scranton. His bike ride collects a ton of money for the hospital. He is a good person, with a cute, funny, personality.
I don't think stiffness, and stuffy........need be in the weather department.
I like to laugh in the morning. Its a good way to start the day.........
He has a ton of fans who enjoy his relaxed ways.......I am only one. I look forward to being home
and seeing him again.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:14 AM

537 posts, read 1,327,513 times
Default Joe...

I don't mind his humor either. Sometimes he was a bit too abstract for me, but he always reminds me of the thought: "Don't take yourself so seriously. Noone else does!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania