Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 03:45 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times

Advertisements

Whiles there has been some recent crime and people have been complaining that migrants are to blame that has not stopped the influx of new residents. I regularly walk by the Mayflower park near Stanton street and the area is filled with happy law abiding citizens enjoying a nice day at the park. I do have to say though that with each passing month I see a more and more diverse makeup of the park goers. It really does feel like I am walking by Rittenhouse square in Philly.

The new church across the street is doing great and they are always filled on the weekend with all different types of people flowing in an out. The baseball field is being used everyday and Moms and Dads line the fence to watch. As I walk by the park the kids like my dogs and some ask to pet.

Despite some bad apples that have come here and may get involved in crimes I see more good natured people filling the houses of Wilkes Barre these days and expect that trend to continue. The more good element that comes will help to stem the tide of bad.

Let's continue to look toward a bright future for the Renaissance of Wilkes Barre. I can't wait for the Riverfront to be finished so I can walk the doggies there and witness even more diversity right at our doorsteps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 04:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
The Wyoming Valley really does have a lot to offer, especially for families. I just got back in from a 12-mile run from Wyoming down through Wilkes-Barre and back, and now I feel like crying to realize I'll be leaving "Mayberry" for the rat-race they call "NoVA." While on the levee I passed by a very attractive blond woman who was walking a gorgeous large, white, well-manicured dog. We smiled at each other as we passed (on occasion women will flirt with me as I work out, which makes me feel all gushy inside!), and then I proceeded onwards. After passing through Wilkes-Barre and coming back up Market Street through Kingston I ended up running past this same woman and her dog again along Rutter Avenue in Kingston. "You made it back!" she said jokingly. I said "Yep. On my way back up to Wyoming." On Market Street a really cute jock guy perhaps in his late-20s went running by me with his dog, smiled at me, and said "What's up?" I replied "How you doin'?" (kind of like Joey from FRIENDS!) LOL! Kingston in and of itself is like a Norman Rockwell setting today. I was half-expecting people to break out in song and dance to Viva la Vida by Coldplay or Shiny, Happy People by REM or something! Couples were walking hand-in-hand, mothers were pushing strollers, fathers were teaching children how to ride bikes, etc. For as much negative press as Kingston gets I never really understood it---as long as you avoid the Edwardsville-ish parts you avoid much of the "element."

Sigh. If only I were a straight guy. I had no fewer than four girls about my age checking me out today as I ran past them, and on my run last Thursday I had two college chicks giving me cat calls along Rutter Avenue in Kingston. If only the guys would do the same! LOL! Like you, Chefkey, I see changes coming for the better. I saw so many out-of-state license plates on my run today that I lost count---Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, Ohio, and even Maine. The more people who flood into the floor of our valley, the more homes that will be rehabilitated, the more business ventures that will be initiated, and the more vibrant our communities will look.

I, too, can't wait for the Riverfront Commons to be completed, along with the expansion and overhaul of Coal Street Park up in your neck of the woods. You made a wide decision investing in the city several years ago when it was a depressing armpit. Now in a few more years the city will be very livable, in my humble opinion, and your investment will pay off.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:37 PM

39 posts, read 132,544 times
what kind of drugs do u take?

I miss NEPA

Old 04-05-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce backer View Post
what kind of drugs do u take?

I miss NEPA
Well so far today all I've had is two bottles of Vitamin Water and some sweet and sour chicken from an Avoca Chinese take-out place, so maybe it's something in the grease?!

Seriously, I WILL miss it here. Some of the people are backwards homophobic rednecks, but by and large the people here have hearts of gold.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:41 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,370 times
Sheesh.. lol judging by "if only i were straight" comment .... it looks like i need to go walking down the levees with my two little white lap dogs

Old 04-05-2009, 04:46 PM

12 posts, read 34,438 times
Just wanted to say that I'm glad to hear the positives about Wilkes Barre since I am moving there in a week and a half to start my career.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:49 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,370 times
when are they going to open the waterfront again?

Old 04-05-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
Sheesh.. lol judging by "if only i were straight" comment .... it looks like i need to go walking down the levees with my two little white lap dogs
I don't get it. I'm by no means a "looker," but the past two times I've gone running I've been noticeably checked out by two girls our age and a few middle-aged women (MILFs as you straight guys would call them I suppose). People head on out to places like The Woodlands to try to land a date who is barfing all over the parking lot, but running along the levee or through Kirby Park and smiling at a cute lady before fawning over her pampered pooch is a sure-fire ticket to initiate conversation with desirable singles. Barnes & Noble (the Arena Hub one) is another surprisingly good place to connect with singles. I was once hit on there by a young sales professional from New Jersey who gave me his number. I was flattered, but given the fact that I was only 18 at the time I really didn't know what to make of it. If I want to get hit on by a married middle-aged man all I need to do is go back to Lowe's! LOL!

Old 04-05-2009, 04:54 PM

39 posts, read 132,544 times
Quote:

god the waterfront is still shut down lol

i havent been back to nepa in a few years it was closed down then lol

Old 04-05-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langen View Post
Just wanted to say that I'm glad to hear the positives about Wilkes Barre since I am moving there in a week and a half to start my career.
If Wilkes-Barre could just get its crime issues under control it would be an ideal place to live. I believe there have now been seven homicides in just the first three months of 2009 in Luzerne County, and at this rate it will be our bloodiest year on record. With Mayor Leighton continuing to beef up the police department, a city-wide WiFi system and surveillance camera system currently being developed, new street lights, and the Guardian Angels' presence, things SHOULD start to turn in a brighter direction, especially as property values in the city climb and cause some of the riffraff to scatter like roaches into lower-priced areas like Edwardsville, Plymouth, Nanticoke, Pittston, Ashley, etc.

Don't let the recent crime wave deter you though. The benefits of living in NEPA far outweigh the negatives. I'm moving primarily because my DC-area employer is offering "perks" too exclusive for me to pass up, and the local young LGBT dating pool is abysmal, leaving me rather lonesome.

Quote:
It should be completed by June, I do believe. I'm sure downtown workers like go phillies will enjoy being able to head to the Farmers' Market on a Thursday to grab a bite to eat and then take a stroll over to sit and eat with co-workers on the waterfront. I already know that some fellow King's students are excited about potentially being able to study overlooking the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania