Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 PM

135 posts, read 228,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniro View Post
I've never lived anywhere cold... there is so much I don't know!
It will take time... I had to get use to the year-round warmth in California. Phoenix and Northeast PA are virtually two different worlds. It's also not just the cold you will have to get used to. Here are things you should be aware of in terms of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre climate.

1. Cloudiness - There's cloud presence about 80% of all days and about 50-60% of the year, the sky is totally overcast. As far as sunniness, Wilkes-Barre is similar to Seattle... doesn't get much gloomier/cloudier than Northeast PA. About 10-15% or 50+ days/year are mostly sunny or clear sky days. Expect gray skies day in and day out throughout winter. You may miss the sun, but who knows. So, leave your sunblock at home!

2. Rainfall - Pack a good umbrella! This region has a relatively high rain frequency. Close to half of all days has some measurable amount of precip. The summer has heavy rain and thunderstorms and the fall and spring has the chilly, drizzly, dreary rain. You literally don't have to water your lawn!

3. Snow - Varies from year to year. Not quite as bad a Buffalo or Syracuse, but definitely no walk in the park. The higher elevations and the hilly terrain makes driving pretty dangerous especially with ice. Get a good snow blower and snow tires. The winters are also long... it can snow as early as Nov and late as April.

4. Humidity - Don't expect the dry air of the West in NEPA! It's not like Florida or even DC, but it's a notable difference between Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 07:49 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,163,891 times
This year? This year has been like living in Seattle. NO WAY are other, NORMAL, years comparable to Seattle.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 PM

238 posts, read 363,430 times
Two years ago it was, that's the main reason I moved out of PA. A summer full of no sun, all rain and low temperatures sure does get depressing...

Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 PM

135 posts, read 228,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This year? This year has been like living in Seattle. NO WAY are other, NORMAL, years comparable to Seattle.
It's not the rain.. It's the clouds! Seattle has a notorious winter season where it's days of grey skies and drizzly/misty rain. Scranton's rain is pretty evenly distributed throughout the year, BUT it's the amount of "grey sky" days that are similar.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:08 PM

23,878 posts, read 32,156,993 times
This was not a "normal tear" for almost anywhere. I like having four distinct seasons. Lived in SoCal and it depressed me. So did Northern Cali.

Moved to PA from NY and I am home. HOME!

PA? WE LOVE IT!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania