Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 04:01 PM
sci sci started this thread

90 posts, read 224,170 times

Advertisements

My daughter is looking at a house in Peckville. What is peoples opinion of this area? Its her first house, a 2 family, that she plans to be there 5 to 7 years and than either sell or rent out when she can afford to buy her dream house.
I am from Long Island so I don't know anything about the area at all. We went with her this past weekend to see the house and it looks to be in reasonable shape for a 90 year old house that has been rent out. Located on Keystone Ave, a main road thru the area but certainly not as busy as some[ most] of the roads here in NY.
Can anyone recommend a lawyer in the area for the closings?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Peckville is nice....quiet, low crime, convenient to shopping in Dickson City and Scranton. Probably one of the nicer towns without being high-priced upper-crust like the Abingtons. Peckville is actually a section of the borough of Blakely, but its actually larger than the part of town known as Blakely and it has its own post office. Valley View schools are OK...not quite as great as their reputation, but not bad.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:59 AM

12 posts, read 19,991 times
Default peckville

Peckville is nice for the most part. I lived on Keystone Ave. for about 2 1/2 yrs. until last summer. It's busy, but not as busy as my home street on L.I. (Floral Park). If I didn't have a teenage son I would have liked it more. The local teens can be nasty & get away w/a lot despite police "action". But I guess nasty teens aren't a problem only to Peckville. Gets busy during football season if she's by the stadium & in summer by the park. The library is great w/very nice women working there. Fireworks at the park for July 4th are realy nice! Good Luck w/her decision.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:54 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,219 times
Peckville is pretty quiet, and a fairly stable area. Not a lot of development but not a lot of decay either. Easy access to the interstates and a low crime rate. Try Bill Peters for the closing, he did mine and the price was very fair. Knows his stuff. 570-963-1610 or peterslawonline.com

Old 04-16-2009, 07:52 PM

Default Good news

My daughter has been talking with the real estate agent the last few days. She said she was going to make an official offer in the next days, when she had all the paperwork in order. The agent contacted the seller and told them of the coming offer. A counter offer was made, my daughter accepted so I guess she is going to be a happy homeowner in Peckville.
I guess my work starts in a few months when it's "Dad what are you doing this weekend?"

Old 04-20-2009, 03:23 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,243 times
Is your daughter from Long Island as well? I cannot seem to convince my son or daughter to relocate with us eventually to NEPA. They seem to love Long Island and I cannot understand why. My husband and I cannot wait to permanently relocate in a few years. Would have been sooner if not for this economic mess the country is in. We need employment when we relocate and that seems rather difficult right now.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 PM

Default Children's views on moving

This is my oldest daughter [23 years old] who is buying the house. I have 2 more girls and a son [ the youngest at 17]. My second daughter has already moved to North Carolina with her fiance. My 3rd daughter has expressed some concern about moving to a "slow place with no friends". I think , hope she changes her mind by the time we get ready to move. If she wants to stay here she can always stay at grandma's , about a mile from where we now live. My son says he's ready to go.
They all think Long Island is way over priced and unaffordable. My son says he would like more room than a 50x100 lot. Most of them say they are tired of the constant traffic and inconsiderate people.
There is alot that Long Island has to offer, nice beaches,alot of orginized sports, good health care,etc. We don't seem to be the type that utilize the things offered here. Unfortunately we must pay for them in our taxes if we use them or not.
We hope to to be able to move in the next 5 to 7 years after we sell our properties here and find a place in Pa. Currently looking in the Hamlin area. Have not decided yet on building a house or buying an existing one, just know we want a farm setting with around 20 acres.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:40 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,243 times
The statement "slow pace with no friends" is the complaint my son & daughter give me. They are 27 & 24. They know the island is unaffordable, but that doesn't seem to deter them. However, when they are forced to either pay an outrageous price for a home or rent, I hope things look different to them. We too do not utilize all the "amenities" that Long Island has to offer but have to pay for. Looking to escape the high taxes and overcrowdedness that has taken over Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania