Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 09:58 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,203 times

Advertisements

Hey, saw some articles on the stretch of the trail between DT/WS Scranton being started.

Saw the map in this article:
City Riverwalk | Wilkes-Barre News | The Times Leader
And tracked down a PDF of it. It's page 21 of this document.

I know it should be pretty easy to figure out from other maps, since it runs by a river, but I still found it easier to conceptualize with this.

Last I read, it was still unclear what was happening with the piece by the old railroad station, as it seemed like that property's owner was trying to jack the city/county for some concessions. As if it wouldn't already be a boon to his planned retail space. (This seems like a rare good use of eminent domain, if you ask me.)

The trail sounds great, stretching 40 miles in total if completed, and connecting to trails in Luzerne and Susquehanna Counties.

Anyone been on any of the already completed sections? Guessing none of it is paved, so it's hiking or mountain biking only.

Looking forward to some more public, green space here in town. Hope the connection to Old Forge gets done while I'm still living here (or still living at all ) as it'd be cool to have another way to get down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 AM

411 posts, read 1,290,462 times
I have been on the nice section from the flats in Olyphant to the park in Blakely. Great stretch. I used to carry my little daughter on my neck as we walked it...she is heading off to college this year, so that tells you the last time I walked that section in total.

I have cross country skiied the section from Simpson to Forest City and back. That is a nice section too.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPA-x-pat View Post
I have been on the nice section from the flats in Olyphant to the park in Blakely. Great stretch. I used to carry my little daughter on my neck as we walked it...she is heading off to college this year, so that tells you the last time I walked that section in total.

I have cross country skiied the section from Simpson to Forest City and back. That is a nice section too.
Heh, that says a lot about the pace of the project..

Didn't even think of XC skiing on it- that sounds fun.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:08 PM

411 posts, read 1,290,462 times
For sure! I paddle the section of the Lackawanna from Archbald to Blakely a lot in the spring and summer and I always see lots of people enjoying the trail. Families, couples, kids, joggers, it gets a lot of use. Does make me feel good seeing all the folks enjoying it.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:45 PM

If anyone's interested, they're seeking community input on the trail:

Lackawanna River Heritage Trail, Lackawanna Greenway seek input Tuesday, June 30 | Scranton Edition (http://www.timesleader.com/scrantonedition/Lackawanna_River_Heritage_Trail__Lackawanna_Greenw ay_seek_input_Tuesday_June_30.html - broken link)

Quote:
Join the free public information meeting for the Lackawanna River Heritage Trail and the Lackawanna Greenway on Tuesday, June 30, at 6:30 p.m. at the Steamtown National Historic Site Theater, Cliff Street, Scranton.
If anyone goes, please tell them to build a small park or playground off the section downtown. And to have easy pedestrian access to the trail from most blocks..

Old 06-30-2009, 10:35 AM

Default Reminder!

Reminder: The community meeting about the LRHT is tonight @ 6:30pm.

I really wish I could go, but I have friends visiting from out of town tonight. Don't think they'd be too interested...

If anyone goes, please fill us all in!

Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 PM

325 posts, read 806,411 times
Default Comments on trail

I'm sure the Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority would be happy to hear your comments re the trail even if you couldn't make the meeting. For contact information, see:

Contact Us « Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority – LHVA (http://www.lhva.org/blog/contact-us/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania