Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:04 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,006,813 times

Advertisements

Maybe we should start a soap opera thread. lol.

As The Days Of Our Lives Turn in Scranton Guiding Hope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 03:12 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,655,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Gloom. Doom. Gloom. Doom. You know what, Dan? You sound just like the people of The District in the 1990s as gentrifcation was just beginning to take hold. Today? DC's population is growing rapidly, housing prices are only a hair below NYC, and developers can't keep pace with the demand for downtown condos and lofts. Why would someone want to live in South Abington Township when they could live in Downtown Scranton? I just don't get how any ecologically-conscious person could want to do that to themselves. Trust me. I grew up in a car-centric suburb. It sucked. I live in a car-centric suburb now because I'm priced out of the city. It sucks.
I would rather live there than Scranton, it's nicer and there is more businesses I frequent. Downtown Scranton is a ghost town and that's a fact. I'm not the only one saying this, I hear many people say the same thing. Look at all of the empty storefronts in Scranton sometime and the lack of foot traffic on a Saturday, it's really pathetic. If there was actually something in this city, I wouldn't always be somewhere else, like in Dickson City, Clarks Summit or Dunmore.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
How can I, a person who doesn't reside in Scranton, find a ton of stuff to do in the city and you, a resident, cannot?

Old 06-06-2010, 11:20 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,006,813 times
Magritte - could you share some of the things you find to do in downtown Scranton? That might help.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:45 PM

159 posts, read 318,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBFAN View Post
By the way, the Apple Store idea is gaining steam...I have seen it on two boards now =)
I haven't posted on here or even logged on in a really long time! But I heard about that somewhere. Is this just a rumor or is it actually true?

Old 06-06-2010, 06:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
What does this New Housing look like , down here its new Wild Craze...

Old 06-06-2010, 06:54 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
Magritte - could you share some of the things you find to do in downtown Scranton? That might help.
That's sounds like a great topic for another thread - Down here in the Lehigh Valley most of the towns have concerts at local parks, festivals occasionally and farmers markets. Is that what you were thinking of Magritte?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:11 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Gloom. Doom. Gloom. Doom. You know what, Dan? You sound just like the people of The District in the 1990s as gentrifcation was just beginning to take hold. Today? DC's population is growing rapidly, housing prices are only a hair below NYC, and developers can't keep pace with the demand for downtown condos and lofts. Why would someone want to live in South Abington Township when they could live in Downtown Scranton? I just don't get how any ecologically-conscious person could want to do that to themselves. Trust me. I grew up in a car-centric suburb. It sucked. I live in a car-centric suburb now because I'm priced out of the city. It sucks.
Soooooo because you seem to think that urban living is the key to happiness, the rest of us have to?

Your views on many things are skewed to say the least and just because you think that living in the burbs sucks, doesn't mean it does. The sun doesn't rise and set on your $**.....

Old 06-07-2010, 08:59 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How can I, a person who doesn't reside in Scranton, find a ton of stuff to do in the city and you, a resident, cannot?
I find plenty of things to do in Scranton, but I'm also not a person that needs to be entertained at something that requires spending money all the time...I'm content with playing with my kids in the yard, going to their baseball games, going to the playground, riding bikes, etc etc.

Seems if most people aren't being entertained, they complain there's nothing to do....

Old 06-07-2010, 01:45 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I find plenty of things to do in Scranton, but I'm also not a person that needs to be entertained at something that requires spending money all the time...I'm content with playing with my kids in the yard, going to their baseball games, going to the playground, riding bikes, etc etc.

Seems if most people aren't being entertained, they complain there's nothing to do....

Very, very true GP. I totally agree with this. It's like the people that are bored no matter who they are with or where they are at.

I'd rep you if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania