Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:29 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times

Advertisements

I don't think there should be a draft.....if we force people into military service, then we aren't truly a free country. And let's be honest, most times we get involved in wars, it has nothing to do with defending our country....its usually battles being fought for political special interests and big business....see Iraq for an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 03:08 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,113,541 times
close that window...there's a draft!

that's what that word means to todays generation.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:36 PM

193 posts, read 542,601 times
Bad idea, But heck what do i know i just want my friends and family to come back from their third tour of duty in iraq

Old 05-05-2009, 03:56 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,272 times
In Israel it's mandatory for everyone, male or female, to join the military at age 18 and it should be mandatory here in the U.S. as well. That way we wouldn't have so many kid's committing crimes, doing drugs, or worse becoming couch potatoes watching TV all day or playing video games that they're parent's are so stupidly buying them so they can waste their brains and intelligence with. That's the problem with America also. People cite freedom of choice in what they want to do but don't look at how those same values they instill on their children does nothing but corrupt them and allow them to become useless contributor's to society. It obviously hasn't hurt those in Israel at all!! I joined the military right out of high school and if I could I would do it again in a heartbeat without question!! It's the least I can do for a country that allowed me to have the freedoms we enjoy and so many others take for granted. Some say "Bad idea", others say "freedom of choice" but when 9/11 rolled around who was it that put their necks out for us?? Sure wasn't those lazy ass couch potatoes, school drop outs, drug dealers/users, welfare cheats, etc.,!! No it was the American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Coast Guard, and Marine that answered the call so that the rest of America could sleep peacefully at night!! So before knocking the draft...think about the benefits it would have for America. Not to mention the benefit's that would be given those who served and rightly so!!

Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I think it is a good question and I will answer.

I think we definately should have a draft and we can further support our brave Veterans and current troops. Those that do not think a draft is what America needs may have never encountered terrorism or encountered the need to defend their country.. Every American has a place and if those who support America believe we do not need a draft then stay away from the rights our military has given you and that is "Freedom and Liberty".... Sounds old fashioned but true.

If you live in America then everyone who becomes of age must defend America.

The military has give us the right to write in these forums. It has given us everything we know as citizens of a free country enjoys....If you do not think so then please leave and live in fright within the boarders of Somalia, Iran, Iraq or Afganistan and good luck. Also there is no doubt you will need to brush up on fighting skills because that is all they seem to know as you soon will when you move to those countries.

To me it is a no brainer to have a draft....

Steve
Co K, 75th Rangers
Vietnam 1969-1970
I did voice that we might not need a draft......."right now".

That is because........things seem to be working out alright. I didn't read of a shortage of volunteers. There are a lot of new recruits coming along.
Plus the President promotes that we will be leaving the area in due time.

Because I feel this way doesn't mean I don't love America.
My father having fought in the Battle of the Bulge and my husband having fought in Viet Nam.

I am proud of their service, and of our families love of America.....
If we have a shortage of men fighting for our freedoms, then by all means
"draft".......

It is too easily that a 9/11 can happen again.......I don't put blinders on about that in the least.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:51 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,272 times
No shortage of volunteers?? The Navy, for one, has been shorthanded for years even back in the 70's when I joined. So, YES, there is a shortage in our military. Maybe they don't talk about it much but it exists.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:45 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
If we stop starting unnecessary wars(Iraq) than we may not need a draft. Our military is stretched very thin....2 wars ongoing...the national guard and reserves are depleted,their equipment is wearing out. The national guard are not supposed to be used for war(unless emergency), they should be helping in disaster situations etc. So if we continue our colonialism antics I am afraid we will need mandatory service reinstituted. If we grow up as a country the status quo will function adequately.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:50 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Also if we repeal "Don't Ask Don't Tell", maybe we will have enough soldiers. More than 100,000 soldiers have been discharged in the last ten years alone!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I think it is a good question and I will answer.

I think we definately should have a draft and we can further support our brave Veterans and current troops. Those that do not think a draft is what America needs may have never encountered terrorism or encountered the need to defend their country.. Every American has a place and if those who support America believe we do not need a draft then stay away from the rights our military has given you and that is "Freedom and Liberty".... Sounds old fashioned but true.

If you live in America then everyone who becomes of age must defend America.

The military has give us the right to write in these forums. It has given us everything we know as citizens of a free country enjoys....If you do not think so then please leave and live in fright within the boarders of Somalia, Iran, Iraq or Afganistan and good luck. Also there is no doubt you will need to brush up on fighting skills because that is all they seem to know as you soon will when you move to those countries.

To me it is a no brainer to have a draft....

Steve
Co K, 75th Rangers
Vietnam 1969-1970

What happened to freedom?????????

Old 05-06-2009, 06:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
In Israel it's mandatory for everyone, male or female, to join the military at age 18 and it should be mandatory here in the U.S. as well. That way we wouldn't have so many kid's committing crimes, doing drugs, or worse becoming couch potatoes watching TV all day or playing video games that they're parent's are so stupidly buying them so they can waste their brains and intelligence with. That's the problem with America also. People cite freedom of choice in what they want to do but don't look at how those same values they instill on their children does nothing but corrupt them and allow them to become useless contributor's to society. It obviously hasn't hurt those in Israel at all!! I joined the military right out of high school and if I could I would do it again in a heartbeat without question!! It's the least I can do for a country that allowed me to have the freedoms we enjoy and so many others take for granted. Some say "Bad idea", others say "freedom of choice" but when 9/11 rolled around who was it that put their necks out for us?? Sure wasn't those lazy ass couch potatoes, school drop outs, drug dealers/users, welfare cheats, etc.,!! No it was the American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Coast Guard, and Marine that answered the call so that the rest of America could sleep peacefully at night!! So before knocking the draft...think about the benefits it would have for America. Not to mention the benefit's that would be given those who served and rightly so!!
BS. I want people in the military who WANT to serve. My constitution guarantees me freedom and autonomy over my own body. I don't what yours says.

I'm forever grateful to our Armed Forces. Doesn't mean I think that it should be mandatory for people to serve. Not even sure where you are making the link???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania