Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,543 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'm new to this forum and I was hoping some of you could provide me with some info on East Stroudsburg. The BF and I are currently living in Wayne, NJ. He grew up in this area and is quite comfortable all around here. I myself am originally from southern California and have only been living here for about six months. Although we have found a nice area of North Jersey to live, it's really not my cup of tea. IMO it's too crowded, WAAAAAAAAYYYYY too expensive, and the overall behavior of people seems to be a bit too brash for me. Coming from SoCal some might think I would be used to it, LOL, but the area I was from was pretty far removed from the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles and a relatively quiet area. (At least compared to NJ).

We have made several day trips into East Stroudsburg and are both quite taken with the area. He has mentioned that he would consider moving there if it would be worth our while and a smaller, slower, more quiet place is what I'm looking for. Both of us have lived in small towns before (for me not quite as small as E Strouds and for him, even smaller) so we're not too concerned with going into shell shock over the change in pace. We tend to be a bit of homebodies with the occasional trips out for dinner and a movie. We hit the mall on very rare occasions to do some walking/window shopping but we are more of the Walmart/Kmart kinda buyers.

I suppose what I'm really looking for is general info on the town. We would be in need of a place to rent. We would both prefer a house, but we're doing ok in an apartment now so if we needed to we could do that too. I've looked a bit online, but there were very few rentals listed and most were not pet friendly (a complete deal breaker for us as we have two birds and two cats which we WILL NOT part with). We are also both smokers so that is an issue for us, particularly with rental houses. We would really like to find a rent to own type of deal, but that would more than likely have to wait until we are more familiar with the job situation in the area. I can generally find work anywhere since I work retail, but my BF is in IT (computer networking, desktop support kinda deal) so he would have more issues with the work end of things than me.

Any info would be helpful and greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 02:33 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,119,801 times
East Stroudsburg is just as crowded as Wayne ,NJ ..

Old 05-14-2009, 08:52 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,340,612 times
In my humble opinion The Stroudsburgs are indeed less crowded than Northeastern New Jersey, but the "demographics" (pushiness, rudeness, aggressive driving, attitudes, etc.) has spread its way westwards along I-80 and across the Delaware River to that part of Monroe County. Businezguy, who moved to The Stroudsburgs last year, will be along soon I'm sure to be of better assistance and to discredit any negative thing I say about The Stroudsburgs, but bear in mind I'm relating my own personal experiences with the town as well as recanting stories I've heard from a few "natives" of The Stroudsburgs who have since moved up here to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area to escape "the city" (which is ironic since our area is much more densely-populated).

I've been to The Stroudsburgs (which I should probably explain encompasses Stroud Township, Stroudsburg, and East Stroudsburg) on numerous occasions, and each time I've been glad to have finally returned to Luzerne County (which is saying a lot! LOL!) The downtown areas of both towns are very quaint, well-kept, and charming. There are many great small businesses to explore, and many people take pride in their homes. The proximity to New York City is an incredible perk. However, I just don't tolerate people being rude (not saying "thank you" when you hold a door for them, tailgating you on I-80 when you're already stuck in a line of traffic on that woefully overburdened roadway, using profanities in public near children, wearing pants so baggy their boxers are exposed, talking loudly on cell phones about inappropriate topics, bumping people with carts at big-box stores without saying "excuse me", etc., etc.) There is a disproportionately high amount of RUDENESS in The Stroudsburgs as contrasted to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, and I blame that on the NYC/NJ transplants not realizing that now that they've crossed the Delaware River that they can DROP the "aggressive attitude" as people here want to be more laid-back and aren't always looking either to "challenge" you or ********* over. People moving here need to drop the "tough guy" act that many possess after years of feeling burn-out in the rat-race of NE NJ and NYC, as I am very, very tempted each time I visit The Stroudsburgs to give someone a public reaming out to correct their assertive dispositions.

Businezguy can slam me all he wants, but I speak only the truth from my own PERSONAL experiences that while The Stroudsburgs have many assets, the people could use some sensitivity training. The Stroudsburgs aren't "the city." Stop treating them as such.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 AM

124 posts, read 293,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
The Stroudsburgs aren't "the city." Stop treating them as such.

Well put.

As far as moving to East Stroudsburg - I'll be moving back there temporarily with my two kids while my husband deploys to Afghanistan. When I was growing up in the area things were not nearly as tense, but they certainly have changed a lot now. I like to visit because that's where our families are, but I will only be staying long enough to get into our own home - hopefully an hour away where the city tension has not yet infiltrated small town life.

East Stroudsburg is not awful! You've got everything you need within a 15 minute drive I'd say. Wal-Mart, K-Mart, the University, a hospital... what you can't find there you can drive just a few minutes (depending on which route you take, the time of day, ... is it race weekend???....) to Stroudsburg. Since I've moved away, they've brought in lots of great chain restaurants that we always had to drive to Allentown or Scranton/WB to find. The traffic has become frustrating, which definitely adds to the lack of friendliness I say but if you don't mind that then East Stroudsburg is a great place for you. If you're looking for family friendly area- where you would be comfortable sending your kids to school and all that - I'd look elsewhere. In fact, I am.

STILL! Good luck HTH

Old 05-18-2009, 06:36 PM

9 posts, read 37,351 times
Please keep in mind when relocating to stroudsburg that because it is so close to the NJ border line the cost of living is ridiculously high. The wages that are offered in the area are low. Most of the people who live in that area commute to NJ or NY so it compensates for the cost of living. Now if you and your BF are not planning to commute I would suggest that you look a little further down maybe gouldsboro or daleville, its cheaper and it an rural enviroment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania