Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:41 PM

32,613 posts, read 77,452,289 times

Advertisements

We have now learned that Cinemark, which regularly attracts elbow-to-elbow weekend crowds to its multiplex on Montage Mountain in Moosic, is currently undertaking a zip code survey of its patrons as part of its research into markets within NEPA for where it should seek expansion for a second location. Some people have been known to drive up to an hour to go to see a movie at Cinemark due to its generally clean environment, modern amenities, comfortable seating, and great selection of movies and screening times.

In my own humble opinion I'd have to suggest a new movie theater for somewhere in Southeastern Monroe County, perhaps along Route 209 in the Brodheadsville (West End) area. The Loews Theater in the Stroud Mall is woefully outdated, and I believe the small theater in Downtown East Stroudsburg is out of business now (someone can correct me if I'm mistaken). I believe there's also a newer theater in Marshalls Creek (perhaps called "Great Escape?"), but I've never seen a movie there. As Monroe County continues to grow rapidly (I believe it now has somewhere in the neighborhood of 175,000 residents) there is a definite need in that area for a higher-quality and higher-capacity venue like Cinemark.

Some interviewed by WNEP said that a new Cinemark should come to the Milford area because they don't have any theater options in Pike County, but I personally don't feel as if enough people live in Hawley/Shohola/Milford/Matamoras to sustain such a theater, even if it could attract people from Port Jervis, Honesdale, Greentown, and Bushkill as well. The area is still quite rural whereas the part of Monroe County I mentioned is now very suburban. I don't want to see a Cinemark built anywhere in Northern Luzerne County, as it would crush Wilkes-Barre's wonderful downtown theater that has been helping to nurture a slow yet noticeable rebirth. However, I think Southern Luzerne County, more specifically somewhere along Route 93 in Hazle Township, would be a great site for a new Cinemark, as I foresee Southern Luzerne County continuing to grow. You would also be able to pull in movie-goers from Berwick, Northern Schuylkill County, and parts of Carbon County.

What do others think? I'd be curious to hear the impressions of Summering, poconoproud, businezguy, and others in Monroe County about whether or not they'd want a Cinemark in their area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 11:55 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,634,527 times
Does Carbondale have a theatre?

Old 05-15-2009, 05:49 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,787,186 times
"up da line" would be a good spot...people from there have to drive to Cinemark (or the ghetto Marquee theater). I would say Rt 6 in Eynon would probably be a good location...build it at the old Sugerman's. That part of Rt 6 has been dying since Sugerman's closed, this would also give it a shot in the arm. Give people a reason to go "up da Eynon" again.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:33 AM

996 posts, read 3,272,329 times
I would think that somewhere in either Monroe or Pike Counties would be best for Cinemark, considering that they are the counties in NEPA that are still experiencing growth in population. According to WNEP, Monroe Co. residents are in lead in the ZIP Code survey at the moment.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:46 AM

124 posts, read 293,663 times
I know we would drive an hour in either direction - to the Cinemark theather, or the Regal in Wilson - rather than go to the Stroud Mall. I'd say that although it would cause only more traffic and possibly some disturbances by unruly teens, a good spot would be Mt. Pocono.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:55 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,787,186 times
I don't think there's enough population in Pike County to justify a big theater like Cinemark. even though its growing, Pike County is still mostly wilderness. I would think they would build in the Stroudsburg area.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,244,364 times
Columbia County area?

Old 05-15-2009, 09:10 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,622,192 times
Chestnuthill or Carbon Township........Hurray!
Chestnut hill is in Monroe, and we have to head to Wilson/Easton for the Regal all of the time........

Last edited by Summering; 05-15-2009 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: words

Old 05-15-2009, 10:10 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,305,835 times
417 Lackawanna Avenue.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:06 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,262,371 times
Stroudsburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania