Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
We're not , we have agreed it is "adults"; but keep in mind your neighbor may need to get up @ 4 am..... and you would not want him disrespecting your sleep after a night out.

But what is so different about a train going by at 4am? Not too much IMO. Getting woken up is getting woken up. Both things waking me up would **** me off.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
That is pathetic. Must want to relive their youth or something. Loud motorcycles are also annoying. How are they allowed to drive them with no mufflers and if you had a car with no muffler you would get fined? Some motorcycles I hear are even louder than those booming car stereos.

Meh. Maybe they finally have the money to do it. I think the old guys driving around in their convertibles are silly, but hey it's their money....

Old 05-18-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
NY...you have always made sense in your posts. Yes, free speech is not an inherent right, you can not say anything anywhere, like yelling Fire in a moviehouse. Absolutely, right about disturbing the peace and that is why many communities have rules and regulations and towns and villages have ordinances. I love loud music in my car with my MP3 player or my windows up in the car. It comes down to the respect of others and their surroundings.

Actually.....

Free Speech IS an inherent right. I think you meant to say that all speech is not free speech, which I agree with. But the area made the precedent that unless you are threatening someone's life, what you say for the most part, is covered by free speech.

Which I happen to agree with.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But what is so different about a train going by at 4am? Not too much IMO. Getting woken up is getting woken up. Both things waking me up would **** me off.
The train is more like white noise....but I never lived next to trains...in Pittston you can hear the trains and whistle.....but not through your guts and brain. It's the low bass, like JG said, it penetrates and sets up internal vibrations as in feel the bass...people just need to turn down the low frequencies...but you and I know they do it for attention/show off...otherwise the windows would be up , the volume reasonable...and they can jam away cause nobody cares...except when my house feels like I'm living in a tuning fork...lol...

Old 05-18-2009, 08:38 PM

Like I said, I lived next door to train tracks for the better part of 14 years. It's nothing like white noise. Your whole house shakes, the whistles and horns are L-O-U-D LOUD. I've known people who have grown up in the country that think normal street traffic is intrusive.

That is why I say you cannot legislate life's little annoyances.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Like I said, I lived next door to train tracks for the better part of 14 years. It's nothing like white noise. Your whole house shakes, the whistles and horns are L-O-U-D LOUD. I've known people who have grown up in the country that think normal street traffic is intrusive.

That is why I say you cannot legislate life's little annoyances.
Your train experience sounds like my bass experience; keep in mind my neighbor's house is less than 20 feet away...the car 10 feet from bedroom...closer than your train. The tracks were also already there so you knew.... we agree to disagree... depends on which side of the car you are on...lol...but missing work...is not just an annoyance...it's your health and livelihood.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
Go Phillies and NY Rangers, I am with you. It's like beatnig a dead horse.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:08 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Go Phillies and NY Rangers, I am with you. It's like beatnig a dead horse.
I know Hat, I know. The train argument doesn't fit here. The trains for the most part have been there for years and people know that when they move into a neighborhood. They actually perform a purpose, loud or not. These people with the booming car stereos CHOOSE to blast that garbage and annoy others. I mean do they REALLY need it that loud to shake windows and walls in people's houses. Like PITTSTON2SARASOTA stated, why do these people insist on having the windows open on their car, but I suspect it would be just as loud with them up. And it's not about us being "old farts". Like George stated also, I love loud music. I have been to many heavy rock concerts in all different venues my entire life. Loud music doesn't bother me, it's just that's there is a time and a place for it. I don't subject other people to my music and I don't like being subjected to their "so-called music". In the end, it's a respect issue.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:05 AM

They should be fined!!!! period. Repeat offenders fined progressively more.....let's be blunt....they really do it on purpose to annoy people...talking planes, trains etc. is ridiculous and skirting the issue...and an ambulance.... ppllease. We all know how some people can be...There are people who just like to argue...people who get pleasure out of another person's misery....and people who like annoying other people...cause their special.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:19 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
They should be fined!!!! period. Repeat offenders fined progressively more.....let's be blunt....they really do it on purpose to annoy people...talking planes, trains etc. is ridiculous and skirting the issue...and an ambulance.... ppllease. We all know how some people can be...There are people who just like to argue...people who get pleasure out of another person's misery....and people who like annoying other people...cause their special.
I think they should be outlawed completely. It's a safety issue concerning noise. Just if I was riding around in a car with no muffler. It would be annoying to me and others and I would be fined if I didn't get it fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania