Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 17,560 times

Advertisements

My wife really likes thin Chicago style pizza, which seems to be pretty uncommon outside of Chicago. There was a place called Frankie's in Pittston that made it and I'd get it there all the time, but they seem to be closed now. Anyone know anywhere that has that?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:44 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,583,717 times
Hmm....I'm pretty sure Chicago style is deep-dish. Thin style is New York.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:02 AM

Thanks.

There are both deep dish and thin Chicago styles. The thin is just much more uncommon. It is thinner and crispier than NY style.

Stole this description from Wikipedia:

There is also a thin-crust pizza unique to Chicago, sometimes referred to as "flat" pizza. The crust is thin and firm enough to have a noticeable crunch, unlike a New York-style pizza, yet thick enough to be soft and doughy on the top.

The crust is topped with a liberal quantity of Italian style tomato sauce, which is usually quite herbal or highly spiced, and typically contains no visible chunks of tomato. Next, a layer of toppings is added, and finally a layer of mozzarella cheese.

Traditionally, like St. Louis-style pizza, this pizza is cut into squares, also known as party cut, as opposed to a pie cut into wedges. However, the consistency of the crust and the quantity and choice of the tomato sauce and cheese are what separate this style from East Coast-, Roman- and St. Louis-style pizzas, and it makes the pizza from neighborhood pizzerias immediately distinguishable from that offered by national chains such as Papa John's or Pizza Hut.

In rare instances, Chicago style thin-crust pizza is found outside the Chicago area. Giordano's has opened six restaurants in Florida, due to the large transient population which lives there, including a dense Midwestern contingent. Chicago export Casa Bianca, located in the Eagle Rock section of Los Angeles, is also well known for this style.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:15 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
I know the kind of pizza you're talking about, but I haven't had any around here. There's a place called Arni's in Lafayette, Indiana that has this type of pizza and its great.

Is this the type of pizza you're talking about?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:33 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,583,717 times
Wow, you learn something new every day! Have never heard of it, or seen it around here. Old Forge style seems to rule in NEPA, with some trying to *attempt* the NY style (but of course the attempts are futile without NY water )

Old 05-20-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I know the kind of pizza you're talking about, but I haven't had any around here. There's a place called Arni's in Lafayette, Indiana that has this type of pizza and its great.

Is this the type of pizza you're talking about?
Yep, thats it. The only place I've seen it around here was the place I mentioned in the original post but they don't seem to be open anymore.

My wife has a habit of liking things that are a pain to get, lol.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:35 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmr168 View Post
Yep, thats it. The only place I've seen it around here was the place I mentioned in the original post but they don't seem to be open anymore.

My wife has a habit of liking things that are a pain to get, lol.
If you find a place around here, let me know, because I like that style of pizza too....its a nice change from New York and Old Forge styles of pizza.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:34 PM

149 posts, read 636,399 times
Angelo's Pizza on Hazle St. in Wilkes-Barre has a pretty thin crust. King's Pizza in Mountaintop makes a thin crust traditional Italian Margherita pie (sauce, dollops of mozzarella, & basil) in a wood fired oven that is rally, really, good. Not Chicago style, but two local ones with thin crusts.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Sigh. I loved the stromboli at Frankie's. Stupid Pittston lemmings with their preference for chain restaurants!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:43 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Do they still have a Carmens pizza in Wilkes-Barre? Was very good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania