U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:38 AM

1,794 posts, read 3,068,894 times

Advertisements

Folks, I often read your excellent Pocono advice, but am still having trouble trying to pinpoint what I want. My brother and I might be looking to co-purchase a decent place to relax (alternately, of course ). But we're looking for peace & quiet, NO gated communities. We'd like to be near water as well, for swimming. I'd like a half acre which I can fence for my dogs.

We're interested in Carbon County for the closeness to SE PA. I just keep coming across "communities" everywhere, and I have no desire to be a part of one. Also, it seems that so many homes only have one bathroom. Any suggestions on where we can concentrate our search?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 06:22 AM

149 posts, read 593,445 times
Two questions to help your search....how much do you want to spend & how close to the turnpike do you want to be??

Old 05-21-2009, 08:43 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,385,613 times
I'd suggest looking outside Lehighton near the Beltzville Reservoir. My uncle used to own a log home near there. He had a nice-sized yard and it was just a rural road with neighbors - not a "community".

Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,687,944 times
Rte 534 between 940 and 209 is a beautiful stretch. Hickory Run State Park near one end and Beltzville near the other. Bike trails, hiking, Jim Thorpe. We also had trouble finding 2 bathrooms in a smaller house. Don't give up though, you'll find your place!

If you really have trouble finding something you might want to try a larger development. We're in Towamensing and we can go the whole weekend without seeing a sole. There are some very remote houses there and one section (Deer Park) has one acre lots and it's very quiet over there. But take a drive down 534 - it's really nice.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 AM

Thank you so much! I guess I'm looking to spend about 150 - 200K If that's possible. Don't want to be on top of the Turnpike, but relatively quick access would be nice.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:00 AM

149 posts, read 593,445 times
$150K - $200K will go a long way in the White Haven & surrounds area. Go to Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com® & narrow your search. Quite a bit is available, although some of it is in communities. Good Luck!

Old 05-23-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb1966 View Post
$150K - $200K will go a long way in the White Haven & surrounds area. Go to Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com® & narrow your search. Quite a bit is available, although some of it is in communities. Good Luck!
Thanks, rcb! That's really useful. Never heard of White Haven, but will check it out. Have also been researching Beltzville as suggested by the other posters. You folks are great to respond - MUCH appreciated!

Old 05-23-2009, 05:26 AM

13,321 posts, read 21,549,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Thank you so much! I guess I'm looking to spend about 150 - 200K If that's possible. Don't want to be on top of the Turnpike, but relatively quick access would be nice.
I keep passing this wonderful house that looks out ( from a distance but..) at Beltzville Lake. It is at the high end of what you want to spend........But, it is a huge home and is three levels. I am not a realtor....I just like this home. It is in the Beltzville Lake Estates....Nice decks and a garage......Corner lot........I'm sure you could do a fence.
It would be just a few miles from the Turnpike.....
They have no gates there. Most likely I imagine just the rules of keeping your yard in order. My street that I live on has about ten rules on my deed..........neatness is all it amounts to. Plus, not adding a mobile home onto this property.
That most likely would be the same, and those types of rules are livable....( I know, I have been in the big time HOA environment)
This home would put you almost accross from a hiking trail, which leads to a swim hole and waterfall......other trails........The beach and park......
For canoes, kayaks, or other type boats........Houseboats too!
I'd check out this community........just past the main swim area, towards the end of the park area on the left side.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:29 AM

13,321 posts, read 21,549,345 times
BTW homes there should have at least two if not over that as far as bathrooms go........

Old 05-23-2009, 05:31 AM

31,776 posts, read 72,951,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
BTW homes there should have at least two if not over that as far as bathrooms go........
Gosh...Summering...I'm really....going to miss.......YOU!!!! Good golly! I'm gone.....in 29 minutes! You better come to.....Barnes & Noble...in Wilkes-Barre...on....Saturday, June 6.....at 2:30 PM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>