Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:48 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
I did not say you could not have an opinion. You suggested that I sit around and do nothing about situations I have strong convictions in. Look at your post, where you commented "doubtful". Again, you know nothing about the situation, period. You seem to disagree with anything that has to do with following rules, laws, etc. There are people that B**ch and complain and then there are movers and shakers.

Getting back on topic: a knife is just as much as a threat as a gun is. And, until you have walked in a police officers shoes, your opinion is just that.

Again -

Please stop insinuating that all I do is ***** and complain. I don't. I just don't have the time to work for every little thing that I'd like changed. That is why we donate to charities that we find worthwhile and why we help/volunteer when/where we can.

It's unfair of you to assume that I blithely complain and do nothing to fix issues. I am only human and can only do so much. If you can do more than I can, more power to you.

A knife is not just as much of a threat as a gun. If it were then why do police use guns instead of knives? Why don't we use knives in wars? Guns are a better, more efficient killer.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
Bullet resistant vests are not designed to stop a blade - they have other types of vests for that.

That honest to god shocks the hell out of me. I cannot fathom that a material would be strong enough to stop a bullet, but not a knife.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:55 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

A knife is not just as much of a threat as a gun. If it were then why do police use guns instead of knives? Why don't we use knives in wars? Guns are a better, more efficient killer.

I'd rather face a gun than a knife any day, at least in close quarters. A knife only has to penetrate a tiny bit to be fatal in some areas of the body, while a bullet can pass through and do relatively little damage. A knife can also be worse psychologically.

Not to mention the fact that sometimes due to adrenaline a shooter cannot actually release and then fire the trigger - they just death grip the gun and squeeze. A knife, on the other hand, can be just an extension of the hand and subjects can swing long after a shooter would have otherwise been physically disabled.

You just don't know what you're talking about. Studies have shown that in almost every instance, if a member of the public was involved in a similar situation, they are nearly guaranteed to react in a much more vicious manner than even the harshest case of officer misconduct.

You can talk and talk, but you'd be the first one on the trigger if you ever found youself in the same situation.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:57 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,729 times
Quote:
That honest to god shocks the hell out of me. I cannot fathom that a material would be strong enough to stop a bullet, but not a knife.
It doesn't stop a bullet, it slows a bullet. Officers can still die just from the impact trauma alone, even if the bullet does not penetrate the vest.
Vests will also not stop small rounds, like a .22, high power rifles, or certain 'cop killer' rounds.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:02 AM

366 posts, read 1,036,122 times
My husband is a police officer and I have the utmost respect for him. He has put his own life on the line for the last 20 years in order to provide for his family. I wish I had the courage that this man has. The job itself is difficult enough and when the anti-police people come forth and start criticizing how this job is done, it is very hard for me to sit back and not comment. In certain situations, unfortunately there is no time to second guess anything. When the police officer's life is in danger, or any innocent person for that matter, it is the responsibility of the police officer to enforce the law. If someone is charging at you with a knife, there is no time to start making phone calls for tasers, let's be realistic. My heart goes out to all police officers who have chosen this work as their profession and, unfortunately, have to reap the negativity that comes with trying to make a positive impact in society.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Quote:
Again -

Please stop insinuating that all I do is ***** and complain. I don't. I just don't have the time to work for every little thing that I'd like changed. That is why we donate to charities that we find worthwhile and why we help/volunteer when/where we can.

It's unfair of you to assume that I blithely complain and do nothing to fix issues. I am only human and can only do so much. If you can do more than I can, more power to you.

Talking to a wall would illicit a better response than interacting with you. I hope you or your family are never faced with a knife welding subject.....I can guarantee your entire view would change 360 degrees. BTW, a knife is just as much a threat...........

Old 06-02-2009, 08:05 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA4 View Post
My husband is a police officer and I have the utmost respect for him. He has put his own life on the line for the last 20 years in order to provide for his family. I wish I had the courage that this man has. The job itself is difficult enough and when the anti-police people come forth and start criticizing how this job is done, it is very hard for me to sit back and not comment. In certain situations, unfortunately there is no time to second guess anything. When the police officer's life is in danger, or any innocent person for that matter, it is the responsibility of the police officer to enforce the law. If someone is charging at you with a knife, there is no time to start making phone calls for tasers, let's be realistic. My heart goes out to all police officers who have chosen this work as their profession and, unfortunately, have to reap the negativity that comes with trying to make a positive impact in society.
Very well said, especially the part about making phone calls about bringing in tasers...........thank god Marquite does not sit on the civilian complaint review board, no police officers would stand a chance.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
You can talk and talk, but you'd be the first one on the trigger if you ever found youself in the same situation.

Actually I wouldn't. As someone here said recently, I am a "hippy anti-gun" person.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA4 View Post
I am not anti-police.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Talking to a wall would illicit a better response than interacting with you. I hope you or your family are never faced with a knife welding subject.....I can guarantee your entire view would change 360 degrees. BTW, a knife is just as much a threat...........

That's an unfair thing to say. I would never say that about you. You have your opinion and I have mine. I would never say that talking to a wall is better than talking to you.

What a rude thing to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania