Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Visiting Scranton: traffic, downtown, New York, house values, insurance, real estate.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:44 AM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times

Advertisements

It seems that everyone has an opinion. If Miamiman doesn't like a certain place he does have the freedom to say what he feels even though he is so very wrong. The people here in the Scranton area are wonderful. I should know I live here now. Everybody is friendly and the area is full of history and natural beauty. There are tons of things to do here also. We aren't far from Philly or NYC to name a few. Everybody is laid back and easygoing. As far as Central NJ is concerned, it is nice there but way over-rated and crowded to boot. The taxes are too high also. If NY and NJ people are moving to Florida and the Carolina's, they are doing so for the weather. Yes, it is warmer there and maybe the sun shines more than in the Scranton area.
That still doesn't make up for missing your family and friends that you left behind. The people in the south don't warm up to the people from the north.
PERIOD.
Miami is another place that isn't so great. Yes, it may look good on CSI Miami but didn't you notice how they over saturate the color on that show to make the water look so blue and the trees so green and lush? It's not that blue and the trees aren't that green in real life.

Florida is a nice place to visit but that's about it. Really... The people are the most narrow-minded down there. You end up with make-believe family for the holidays. Not fun at all.

So, if you don't like Scranton then why not just stay put where you are, right?

Old 04-12-2007, 11:33 AM

39 posts, read 161,120 times
If you can't take criticism about where you live then don't visit the forum.

You have no sense of humor. In that case, PA would be perfect for you. The only thing good about PA is lower gas prices than NY. Why in god's name would you want to move here? That was what everyone asked me when I moved here, lol. He wasn't insulting anybody. So there is no need to throw your little tantrum and call people 12 year olds. Calm down and act like an adult.

I don't get why people are interpreting the criticism as personal.

Oh yeah, and the New Yahk board ain't got nuttin' on us Bostonites.[/quote]

I have a great sense of humor.Im responding to you arent I? A 12 year old
makes a comment saying they dont like a place because the people talk or look funny.An adult has factual reasons for not liking a place .
Im done answering you.You are not very popular on any of these boards. Enjoy NH or Massachusetts or wherever.By the way I know it was supposed to be a "joke" but I just dont think you are very funny.

it's NEW YORK not "new yahk" Go pahk ya cahr in the bahn

DONT FEED THE TROLLS

Thanks WASPA-We are looking forward to it.I love NY-been here my whole life-but it's time for a change.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:28 PM

164 posts, read 200,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storminateacup View Post
A 12 year old
makes a comment saying...
Trollish remark. Anybody knew that he was joking and that was not the reason he hated Pittsburgh or Scranton. He said it was a dump. I'll admit he was pushing the captain obvious button but c'mon dude. Are you seriously gonna defend Scranton and say that it is Disneyland?

Quote:
You are not very popular on any of these boards.
Well neither are you. I ain't never heard of ya. You're from New Yahk how popular can you possibly be?

Quote:
By the way I know it was supposed to be a "joke" but I just dont think you are very funny.
Quote:
it's NEW YORK not "new yahk" Go pahk ya cahr in the bahn
That joke is old, and you're ALSO not funny. How 'bout them Yankees?

You wouldn't last a minute in the MA forum.
__________________________________________________ _________

This is my last day on break. I'm going to be really busy in the next few months so I won't be posting as much, so you PAian sheep can do your sigh of relief. I will check in on you all so ya don't miss me too much If you wanna keep on trolling me do it in PM. Apparenly you guys have never heard of staying on topic I don't see how miamiman was doing anything other than pointing out the obvious. I don't see where he was trolling at all. You PAians are too uptight. This is why Scranton ands Wilkes-BARE is such a dump. It's the people in denial that refuse to believe that their city is a dump and keep on letting it get worse and worse. The politicians up there are the corporate fatcats that are only concerned with making money and not spending it to improve their city and reduce crime and drugs. That's why all the PA cities are dumps. You see it in Killadelphia, Harrisburg, Reading, York, Lancaster, Scranton, etc. They raise taxes but they don't do anything with those taxes except give themselves pay raises and buy their BMWs and Mazaradis and drop top Bentleys and all that stuff that the working middle class can't afford. PA should have politicians that represent the people, instead of profit from them.

yo stormyteacup guy, you new yourkers should know all about that with that Hildawg Clinton who raises taxes on everything and makes cigarrettes $10 a pack and $3 plus gas! No wonder New York is losing potential new residents.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:35 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
You must be around 12 years old.
Go insult some people on another board.Why dont you try posting like
that on the NY board?They will chew you up and spit you out. Have a good day.
That's hilarious. I was born and raised in New York. I made it out of there alive, and I doubt anyone on internet message board has the power to "chew me up and spit me out" haha. Many New Yorkers seem to have a false impression that they're stronger than any other people in this country, believe me, there are many people in this country who will show you that that simply isn't true. Anyway, this argument is about the Wyoming Valley, not New York.

I don't see how you're so easily offended about Pittsburgh. You lived in Florida, live in New York now, and are moving to Pennyslvania later? Sure, there are certainly unattractive people in other areas, many long-time residents of Arizona and southern California that were attractive in their hey day now resemble Gucci purses. I'm sure the Florida sun does a number on people's skin, but the general unattractiveness of people in Pittsburgh is astounding.

Quote:
I don't live in either Scranton or WB, and wouldn't-though I also wouldn't live in any city as prefer rural. And yet this region does have appeal. I live in a rural area with lots of wildlife and outdoor activities that aren't available in places like much of NJ,
I'm talking about the Wyoming Valley, including the towns of Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, and everything in between. It seems that there's this extreme provinciality amongst people in the Valley concerning any place outside of their towns, let alone neighboring rural areas. The rural areas outside of Scranton and Wilkes-Barre do look quite peaceful, if you enjoy rampant wildlife skipping and scurrying every which way. The main argument questions the development and the expected stampede of New Yorkers and New Jersey residents that just will not happen.

Quote:
BTW, most people post on this forum to ask questions about different areas, or to answer other's inquiries. Your initial post did neither. Everyone is certainly welcome to their opinion, but it seems your post was incendiary and meant to spark flames, even if that wasn't your intent. You may not think of yourself as 'trolling' but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck
Well, this forum has no rule that you have to come equipped with a question to post. Just because MOST people do something, doesn't mean I have to do it. My post was to alert any potential residents as to the real outlook of W-B/Scranton. From reading the posts on here it seems as though many in the area only want to talk about the small amount of development taking place in the region while ignoring the SIGNIFICANT problems in the Valley. The rate of home appreciation in the Valley has been on the upswing by is well below the national average, educational attainment of residents is quite low, the employment picture for anyone with a basic college education and beyond is deplorable, lastly, although one of the supposed draws to the area is the proximity to New York and Philadelphia, you will still find many 50+ year old lifelong residents who have never been to either.

Quote:
If NY and NJ people are moving to Florida and the Carolina's, they are doing so for the weather. Yes, it is warmer there and maybe the sun shines more than in the Scranton area.
That still doesn't make up for missing your family and friends that you left behind. The people in the south don't warm up to the people from the north.
PERIOD.
There are many other reasons people move south, specifically to the Carolinas, Tennessee, and Georgia than the weather. Cost of living in the South is significantly lower than many desirable areas of the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic. The general pace of the area is slower, maybe with the exception of metro Atlanta and Charlotte, and the people are nicer. Most people in the South are willing to warm up to you, if you don't try to complain about their lifestyles and their culture.

Quote:
Miami is another place that isn't so great. Yes, it may look good on CSI Miami but didn't you notice how they over saturate the color on that show to make the water look so blue and the trees so green and lush? It's not that blue and the trees aren't that green in real life.
Miami is a very nice city. The sky is that blue and the trees are that green and lush. The oversaturation of colors has been done for shows set in many cities, not only Miami.

People from the Wyoming Valley have no backbone. Don't get mad that people can see right thorugh you. I decided to post an observation, you all chose to respond, so evidently my "trolling" has worked.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:57 PM

176 posts, read 650,931 times
Default Trolling

You're certainly allowed to post your opinion, Miamiman; there are no rules...but since you're not a resident of the area and aren't as familiar with the region as you assume you are, your thread didn't serve any real purpose. I have family in NJ and visit them, yet it wouldn't be fair or beneficial for me to post a thread about how dumpy Bellmawr and Runnemede in S. NJ are, or how dangerous and crime ridden Passaic and parts of Hudson county are, or how ridiculous the property taxes are in all of NJ.
Since you've only driven through the Wyoming Valley, you likely don't know about the prestigious developments located in Glenmaura, or Harvey's Lake. You probably don't know about the FM Kirby and Scranton Cultural Center and all they offer, and I can tell you from first hand experience that the atmosphere at a WB/S Pens game is much better than that at a Devils game.
I agree that there's a provinciality in this area, but that's also true of much of the country that's not in a major urban area. And what you describe: home appreciation, employment opportunities, etc, is also true of much of the country not located on one of the coasts, yet millions live in those small cities and large towns.
Well perhaps I should post on the NJ forum about how congested Edison, NJ is and how there's very little to do there unless you go into NY, that the air quality is noticeably poor compared to much of the country, that the Freehold/Howell vicinity is plain boring, and that the NJ beaches are the worst I've seen anywhere in the country, and I've been to most of them Oh yeah, and the taxes, high insurance, higher crime, overpriced real estate and did I mention taxes

Old 04-12-2007, 03:10 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
Pot...meet kettle

What are you, stalking me now? Do I know you? When people are making up lies, I call them on it, that's how it is. I'm not venomous at all. You should get out more.

Yeah, you're real funny. I'm sure your comedy bit would make millions ...not

Whatever the hell that means.

What was this thread about again? Oh yeah....SCRANTON. Get back on topic. Since you feel so strongly about Scranton, what was your experience, WussPA? Since you only came in here to troll me and call me names.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I travel through Scranton, I always step on it and do 80 through the city. At that point, I'm in a hurry to get out of PA since the state is so big I've been in the city a couple of the times when I got lost, and almost didn't make it out of the potholes and gangs. IMO, they should tear the whole place down and start over, because it is beyond simple reparation stage. I'll admit that it is not quite as bad as harrisburg and reading though to name a few towns.

The only reason I don't put you on my "IGNORE" list is the comic value of your teenaged rants....what a riot......you mean to say you don't know what troglodyte is. Really? Guess that Princeton degree didn't mean so much after all....LOL

Next time you go through Scranton go 125 MPH.....and close yer eyes...

Cougargm...excellent perspective from somebody who has knowledge of the northeast and awarenessof NEpa plusses...I sure agree about the pleasures of Harvey's Lake, the Kirby and so on and so forth.....

Old 04-12-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
The only reason I don't put you on my "IGNORE" list is the comic value of your teenaged rants....what a riot......you mean to say you don't know what troglodyte is. Really? Guess that Princeton degree didn't mean so much after all....LOL
More Pennsylvanian bred garbage. Your creativity is astounding. **yawn** When did I ever say I had a Princeton degree? I don't even know you.

Quote:
Next time you go through Scranton go 125 MPH.....and close yer eyes...
I'll make sure your car is out in front of me when I do that

When are you going to get back on topic instead of ranting about your ignore list and your popularity? If you're gonna keep trolling me, do it in PM, and I'll be sure to resolve this in PM with you.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:46 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargm View Post
You're certainly allowed to post your opinion, Miamiman; there are no rules...but since you're not a resident of the area and aren't as familiar with the region as you assume you are, your thread didn't serve any real purpose. I have family in NJ and visit them, yet it wouldn't be fair or beneficial for me to post a thread about how dumpy Bellmawr and Runnemede in S. NJ are, or how dangerous and crime ridden Passaic and parts of Hudson county are, or how ridiculous the property taxes are in all of NJ.
Since you've only driven through the Wyoming Valley, you likely don't know about the prestigious developments located in Glenmaura, or Harvey's Lake. You probably don't know about the FM Kirby and Scranton Cultural Center and all they offer, and I can tell you from first hand experience that the atmosphere at a WB/S Pens game is much better than that at a Devils game.
I agree that there's a provinciality in this area, but that's also true of much of the country that's not in a major urban area. And what you describe: home appreciation, employment opportunities, etc, is also true of much of the country not located on one of the coasts, yet millions live in those small cities and large towns.
Well perhaps I should post on the NJ forum about how congested Edison, NJ is and how there's very little to do there unless you go into NY, that the air quality is noticeably poor compared to much of the country, that the Freehold/Howell vicinity is plain boring, and that the NJ beaches are the worst I've seen anywhere in the country, and I've been to most of them Oh yeah, and the taxes, high insurance, higher crime, overpriced real estate and did I mention taxes
Lord have mercy. So now you're going to make asssumptions on how much time I've spent in the Wyoming Valley? I, too, have family in the Valley and have spent WAY more time there then you think. My family actually DOES own one of the large houses in the rural Back Mountain community of Lehman. Believe it or not, while visiting them I did actually stop and get out my car, unlike your post would have people believe. While visiting last time, I did stop at Cinemark and saw residents rushing and exclaiming over chain restaurants that have been in central New Jersey for years. Additionally, there are many areas that are nowhere near the coast that are experiencing economic growth. Many suburban areas of midwestern cities, many formerly rural areas in the South, and a lot of mountain communities that young professionals, like myself, and older people are flocking to. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is home to the least diverse population of ANY metropolitan area in the ENTIRE country. You would think since Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is so close to New York that it's economy would reflect the proximity, which it definitely doesn't.

Again, I am not stating that the cost of living in New Jersey is low. Many find the taxes and the housing prices to be outrageous, but they still continue to pay, because it all about location and the quality of services that we have in the area. Sure there are dumps in central Jersey, where people who cannot afford the high-cost of living of nice areas have to live, but that is the case everywhere. Taxes statewide are high, but we have one the best school systems in the country, with many students moving onto higher education. The state might have a high population for its small area, but we still have the one of highest earning, most educated populations in the country. We have quick proximity to New York or Philadelphia for employment opportunities, cultural events, and an urban atmosphere, if you want that. We have beaches that people in Pennsylvania rush to every summer when they want to go "down the shore." Sure, you can pick out individual towns in New Jersey which you may not particularly desire, but at least the dumpy areas of New Jersey which you pointed out are actually GROWING, which is something that you cannot say about your no-growth valley. People will continue to move to New Jersey as the location is desirable. If you do not have the money, then you will be forced to move into a "dumpy" area. I'm so tired of people in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton thinking that they hold a candle to any surrounding area, or better yet, any area in the Northeast.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:46 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,857 times
mechtm84^^^^I'll make you a deal. You make an effort to stop trashing PA so badly and so freely and I'll leave it alone......or at least let everybody here know why it's so important for you to do it?

You might notice that 'Miamiman' has taken the time to make reasonable statements in his posts even if he dislikes something, he's reasonable about it, to his credit. Why not you?

Old 04-12-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
mechtm84^^^^I'll make you a deal. You make an effort to stop trashing PA so badly and so freely and I'll leave it alone
Ummm...no, it's a free country. It's my first amendment right to trash PA if I want

Quote:
You might notice that 'Miamiman' has taken the time to make reasonable statements in his posts even if he dislikes something, he's reasonable about it, to his credit. Why not you?

See my 2:28PM post...under the line. I made some legit statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania