Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 PM

126 posts, read 326,995 times

Advertisements

Hey All,
Just wondering if any of you have ever joined local "clubs" in order to get to know others in "town"? Something like the Honesdale Women's Club or The Historical Society.

We moved to Honesdale about 2 years ago. We think this is a very sweet town. Moving from NYC to Dingmans abour 10 years ago, we then went to Moscow, and now here. Thing is, we have not really found a good "church" fit locally (a place where we have always found commradare and deep friendships) and we attend a church over in Dickson City (Parker Hill Community). It is a nice church, but large, far away, and hard to get to know many people on a "let's get together as families and have a BBQ or something".

I miss that from NYC--no matter what anyone says, NY-ers are way open and friendly!

But now being here, we have not really made many friends? I know a HUGE reason is that we home educate the kids! Up until 2 years ago, we always had MANY home educating families around us and well, because of that common ground and daytime flexible schedule, we seemed to connect. I have ZERO interest in whether a family home educates, public school, private, whatever. it just so happened that that was where we met families with common interests is all!

So, I was thinking, maybe if I joined a local organization or something, it may help meet people.

Now, this next comment is not directed at ANYONE! Really and truly. But it feels hard to get involved in small communities---sort of "closed" to those new comers or outsiders. I KNOW I am only going by limited involvent but well, that was our experience here a few times with certain things!

Just wondering what you all thought? know of any groups in Honesdale??? TIA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Actually, I'll bet if you looked at your church, there are all sorts of small groups that meet, either for common interests, Bible studies, etc., either at the church itself or at people's houses. Parker Hill is a pretty big church and people come from all over the area, so I'm sure there are others there from your area.

Other than that, I'm sure other Honesdale area locals on this board can chime in with some specific groups or clubs that meet in and around Wayne County.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:40 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Donna, will send you a PM Hat

Old 06-05-2009, 09:47 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,134 times
Donna, have you tried the Wallenpaupack Free Methodist (FM) Church? That's not far from Honesdale. There is also a Free Methodist church in Beach Lake. I mention these because I think they tend to be more upbeat / modern than some of the other churches.

I met some people in honesdale yesterday for the first time just by walking in and out of the shops and saying hello to the people there. I went in the Philip Hone Art Gallery which was way cool - never been in there before and met someone I knew a long time ago - as well as a new person. We exchanged business cards and I plan on going back there again.

I never joined a club or anything, never had the free time...though I used to want to join the Choraliers.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:41 PM

126 posts, read 326,995 times
Thanks Karen. We would love to go to a more local church but sad to say-there were just a few too many doctrinal differences we had with the 3 churches we tried. (Gee, i SO SO hope that doesn;t turn into a controversial comment!!!! We met some very nice older couples at one church and then the 2 others we tried,w ell let's just say they were far from welcoming to our family :0(...and we did attend for more than 3 months each time!).

Anyway, I am going to take the free computer course offered over at Northhampton College in Honesdale and hopefully, i will be heading back into the work force---after a 14 year "sabbatical"! I know it will all work out!

Anyone familiar with the Wayne County Historical Society??? Maybe I should make anew post?

Old 06-07-2009, 05:08 PM

I'm sorry to hear that Donna, and I totally understand what you mean about doctrinal differences. I have "issues" of some sort or another will almost every single church. We even joined a home church but that didn't work out either. Not due to doctrinal issues...I'm not sure why we fizzled out on that one. LOL

Personally I think the "church" of today is so far removed from the original New Testament church, that the first century apostles and believers would not have any clue what we were trying to accomplish...but that's definitely for another thread.

I don't know anything about the historical society - but if I lived closer to Honesdale I'd probably get involved somehow...sounds cool.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:10 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
If anything interests you and you can make the meeting, event, then go! I have met some long term acquaintances and a few friends by participating in endeavors which interested me. I have met some of my very best friends in the last five years, and I've been an adult for quite some time. It could be gardening, hiking, community cleanup, tutoring children, volunteering for the town's annual festival. People, groups, are always looking for volunteers and new members.

For all of the word to read: I'm really very dorky and socially inept, so if I can find a group, you can too.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Donna, I don't know anything about your local library but ours (where I work) has many offerings that lend themselves to friendship making. There are kids programs, where adults tend to talk while the kids are doing the event, book clubs and friends group that is sort of our booster program. If nothing else, perhaps there is a bulletin board there where you can put up an ad looking for other homeschooling parents. There seem to be many in our area, perhaps because our school district has always welcomed them to come in and participate where they want to in areas like sports, music and theater.

I think joining a group where you have an interest is a great idea.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:04 AM

I used to homeschool. I went back to work though and put my kids in Wallenpaupack - I do recall that while I had many friends who homeschooled (still do, in fact) it's hard to get people together because we're all so far apart. Another mom and I tried to get together to co-op doing art and music together, she'd do the music, I'd do the art...but it just did not work.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:57 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
They have several car clubs in the area, I belong to one and meet a lot of people that way. If you have an interest in cars/antiques/classics............dm me. Hat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania