Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 AM

126 posts, read 327,150 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what kind of neighborhood LCC is in? My daughter will most likely be attending here in fall '10 and she will be traveling alone from Honesdale---about 1 hour 15 minutes each way. We have not yet visited the school or area so I figured I'd ask here---the source!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 07:04 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
LCCC, also known as "Last Chance Community College", "L.C. Cubed", or "L.C.C.C.C.C.C.C...." by the locals is located in Nanticoke. It's by no means a dangerous neighborhood. She would have to be most concerned about petty property crime though. With drug issues on the rise in Nanticoke it's not unheard of for junkies to smash car windows to steal even just loose change to feed their habits. Make sure she parks in well-lit areas after dark, and remind her to keep valuable out of sight of would-be thieves (i.e. putting a GPS in the glove compartment, purse in the trunk, etc.) I can't remember the last time there was a random violent crime in Nanticoke.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
Nice neighborhood. Almost a rural area, like Honesdale. She won't have anything to worry about.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 AM

17 posts, read 49,341 times
LCC is in a nice neighborhood. The parking lots all have cameras in them. The campus is well lit at night and there is almost always people around. There is campus security that patrols the parking lots. Like previously stated, just use common sense on what is left in the car and there is nothing at all to worry about. If you have one of the LCC guides, it has a breakdown of all the crimes on campus.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:17 AM

Thanks so much! BTW, I don't know of a community college that has not been dubbed a title like that :0). Truth is, it offers a pretty high quality education for the price for students that really want to earn high grades and then move on to either a secondary school or straight into a field that requires a degree. It's no Scranton University for sure, then again, it does not cost a WHOPPING $50K per YEAR to attend. All the research we did indicates that many people are opting for the state/community school option as a result of the astronomical costs of private school. AND another perk is IF a student does graduate with high grades/honors for a community school, they have:
1. achieved a degrees that will transfer to most other schools.
2. put themselves in a position to receive grants/scholarships that are determined by high grades

Just a thought :0). And thanks again---onces again City-Data NEPA comes through :0)

Old 05-31-2009, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 16,881 times
I am a recent graduate from L.C.C.C. I received my Associates in Education. I had initially planned on transferring to a four year school but my thoughts have changed. I had my first interview for a job that will allow me to use my degree. The employer was very nice and they have hired several people that have graduated from Luzerne County Community College. As a young woman, I did not have any problems going to school there. It is definitely a long drive though from your location and I would also let her know that there are a lot of online class options that worked out really well for me.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:58 PM

Thanks. She can also take a few classes right here in Honesdale, but not too many. Truth is, there are way more options for work out in that direction. There are so few job opps here it is mind boggling! The shops in Montage ore right on the way to and from so working there could be a good option.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
I go to LCCC. On summer break now. I think its a great school. I hate when people call is Last Chance Community College. It's so degrading and elitist to do so.

I'm happy that your daughter is going to LCCC.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:15 PM

103 posts, read 361,475 times
I lived most of my life in Nanticoke. You could see the college from my porch. Used to play there in that field before the college was built. Its a nice area around there. Still quiet. I go back there often.
I know alot of people that went to LCCC and they have great jobs now. My husband also went there for 2 years and then to Kings. Alot of my childhood friends are teachers there now.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:26 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,370 times
I actually take my placement test tomorrow--- im going back for business management and techonolgy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania