Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM

126 posts, read 327,121 times

Advertisements

So, any ideas on where a young person can look for work? it seems even Wal-Mart and K-Mart or not hiring these days. I have a 17 yo daughter and a 15 yo son that WANT to work! they want to avoid getting into debt for college, cars, etc. But finding a job here in Honesdale seems to be tough! We would rather not have to drive all the way to Dickson City/Scranton but unless you "know someone" it is hard to find employment. Of course this economy is TOUGH for all and there are so many that are supporting their familes!
I guess a big part of me is worrying---we moved here from NYC to raise the children in a small town atmosphere and we would LOVE for them to stick around with us and raise their families here...but there is so little work! We LOVE LOVE LOVE it here---any thoughts on where to go for employment? Any thoughts on if it is worth researching to start a business that may have even a remote chance of success? What does Honesdlae NEED . Maybe we need to start a new business to keep them around!

Thoughts appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 03:15 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnahonesdale View Post
So, any ideas on where a young person can look for work? it seems even Wal-Mart and K-Mart or not hiring these days. I have a 17 yo daughter and a 15 yo son that WANT to work! they want to avoid getting into debt for college, cars, etc. But finding a job here in Honesdale seems to be tough! We would rather not have to drive all the way to Dickson City/Scranton but unless you "know someone" it is hard to find employment. Of course this economy is TOUGH for all and there are so many that are supporting their familes!
I guess a big part of me is worrying---we moved here from NYC to raise the children in a small town atmosphere and we would LOVE for them to stick around with us and raise their families here...but there is so little work! We LOVE LOVE LOVE it here---any thoughts on where to go for employment? Any thoughts on if it is worth researching to start a business that may have even a remote chance of success? What does Honesdlae NEED . Maybe we need to start a new business to keep them around!

Thoughts appreciated!
Honesdale is a real small town , for kids that age , Dave's Super Duper , or one of the Pizza places in town, Or one of the many campgrounds, There are a ton of Summer camps too Im sure they need workers , Other than that There are PLENTY of farms around , Start knocking on doors .
Also the Hospital is always looking for people to deliver the food to rooms , You gotta look deep and hard but there is stuff out there .

Honesdale Needs

A burger king
a taco bell, a good bakery , A Nightclub with live bands (not a bar , a Nightclub)
I can go on and on

Old 03-17-2009, 05:06 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
No taco bell. Just a nice small town pub with a nook and local chatter.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 PM

996 posts, read 3,278,890 times
Quote:

Thoughts appreciated!
I'm not sure that they would be able to find anything immediately because right now everything is slow. But by April or May, they should start putting applications into places like the movie theater, grocery stores, water parks, ice cream places and restaurants, summer camps, etc. If it's not too far away for them, try some of the marinas and restaurants around Lake Wallenpaupack, because they get busy for the summer and they do hire high schoolers.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 PM

126 posts, read 327,121 times
Thanks for the info. She actually has her first interview tomorrow with a nice little store in town! WOO HOO! Now for my son at nearly 15---maybe Agway? Lots of things coming "up in the warmer weather" so i hope he finds something! I understand about the seasonal work thing though. Well, hope it works out for her!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. She actually has her first interview tomorrow with a nice little store in town! WOO HOO! Now for my son at nearly 15---maybe Agway? Lots of things coming "up in the warmer weather" so i hope he finds something! I understand about the seasonal work thing though. Well, hope it works out for her!
Good for her.. You do Know that They are building a New Hotel next to Home depot.. Keep your ears open for when they are looking for employee's

Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
A new hotel up on the hill?? Wow. didnt know that.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
A new hotel up on the hill?? Wow. didnt know that.
Yep a chain type hotel a with a chain style rest ( olive garden I hope , But I have no clue ) and retail shopping space

Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM

996 posts, read 3,278,890 times
Quote:
Just had another thought that your son might be interested in. The new Rusty Palmer shop is suppposed to be opening in April, so that might also be a good place for him to try.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:46 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
What about working at the animal shelter or a vets office in the kennel? Try Claws N Paws. What about starting his own lawn service mowing lawns and shoveling snow in the winter? Try the newspaper for delivery. Also, try the restaurants in downtown for busboy. Try putting an ad on craigslist or look on there for jobs. Just a couple ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania