Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:51 PM

182 posts, read 450,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'll echo Georgia's statement above mine. I worked full-time through college to help finance as much of my education on my own back as possible, and I still graduated *** laude from a difficult program at King's College (and plan to go to graduate school next year). I don't like taking hand outs from others. I'm a STRICT financial conservative (which is a surprise to some as I know my socially liberal rants tick off quite a few). As The Commish said it's our education. We're the ones who will benefit in the future by, on average, far outearning our counterparts who chose not to attend college, so in order to reap that benefit someday we should hold ourselves accountable financially for ensuring that it comes to fruition. If nothing else I'm eventually going to tear out of this over-priced rat race they call Northern Virginia and move to Pittsburgh, where my high salary coupled with the low cost-of-living will permit me to bank a plethora of money, some of which I'll use to give my parents a nice retirement "boost" and some of which I'll use to send former professors of mine on cruises with their spouses to help thank them for making me who I am today.

Why on Earth should someone our age expect everything to be handed to them? Naturally I felt depressed that I couldn't run cross country in high school because I worked full-time to buy my own Ford while my affluent friends had brand new cars handed to them, but such is life. I regretted never getting to enjoy being involved in any sort of true "campus life" due to my hectic job at Lowe's, but that's the path I chose for myself. I feel as if I now know the value of a dollar better and make much more conservative financial decisions than the Starbuck's fiends I've befriended down here who whip out the plastic without a care in the world.

I'd make sure your daughter knew the value of a hard-earned dollar before trying to give her the world. I'm 22 and living on my own earning a $42,000 salary now. I repeatedly turn down offers for financial assistance from my parents. What's the benefit of having your hand sticking out all the time?
You are in Northern VA now. You must have gotten a job. Congradulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:25 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia to Northeast PA View Post
You are in Northern VA now. You must have gotten a job. Congradulations.
Thank you! I could have found a job locally as well, but growing up with the negativity in Scranton I just couldn't take hearing "my life sucks and it's all the mayor's fault" over and over again any longer. At least here in Virginia people don't blame everyone else if they have shortcomings; they start by looking in the mirror instead of pointing fingers. It's sad to think that I once had such high hopes for Scranton becoming an awesome city again, but I can't waste away waiting for it to possibly potentially maybe someday happen.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:01 PM

79 posts, read 150,107 times
Quote:
I repeatedly turn down offers for financial assistance from my parents.
That's a mistake, my man.

Ride that gravy train as long as you can! (Just don't tell my kids to do the same.)

Old 07-12-2009, 10:02 AM

126 posts, read 327,041 times
Quote:
Thank you! I could have found a job locally as well, but growing up with the negativity in Scranton I just couldn't take hearing "my life sucks and it's all the mayor's fault" over and over again any longer. At least here in Virginia people don't blame everyone else if they have shortcomings; they start by looking in the mirror instead of pointing fingers. It's sad to think that I once had such high hopes for Scranton becoming an awesome city again, but I can't waste away waiting for it to possibly potentially maybe someday happen.
Wow! THAT was something great to hear---"people don't blame everyone else for their shortcomings". Very good way to view life.

Just wanted to also say that there is NO way we are footing the ollege bills for our children. They have be taught their entire life that NOTHING comes without hard work. That's why we helped our 2 oldest find summer jobs and why my daughter is determined to work like crazy over the next year saving as much as she can. We wish we could offer "more" assistance but our poor financial choices about 6 years ago really impede that. Since there is nothing we can "do" about that now, we have learned from our mistakes and will help her to work things out as best we can offering some assistance but really, the kids know that the brunt of getting their education paid for falls on their initiative!
With her grades and a decent SAT/ACT score, she should get a nice amount of shcolarships. THANKS to the 2 lovely "helpers" from this message board, we see that VERY clearly and we are way more relaxed about it al. Well, she may still be anxious about those tests, but that's ok :0). It will pass.

ScranBarre--it si great to read your comments as you have certainly found a good place in your life and have very sound, solid views that will get you FAR in life. I hope all goes well and really, i hope some things can turn around in this area of NEPA. There is SO much potential but MAN---it is like IMPOSSIBLE to even get some people to even TRY to see things differently---that what may have worked 50 years ago is NOT going to work in this day and age. Sigh...there is nothing new under the sun,eh?

Enjoy your VA job and life! Great opps for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania