Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 02:54 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,432,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Not necessarily. Catholic leaders may have supported McCain, and McCain is not Catholic. The support would come from McCain being more supportive of Catholic beliefs. I doubt that McCain, a Baptist, was sending donations to the Catholic church.
Never said McCain was...but the Republican party??? Hmmmm.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 03:13 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,172,258 times
Quote:
I challenge you to find the words "separation of church and state" in the constitution.

All that is prohibited is a state-run religion as in the Church of England.

I can't. It's not there. It refers to the First Amendment.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Well, if the Christian faith prohibits gay marriage & the Christian religion then fights against government recognition of this, then isn't America then a "state-run religion"??
Exactly. The very idea that minorities rights are put up to majority vote is un-American.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
The founding fathers of the United States of America were men of deep religious convictions based in the Bible and their Christian faith in Jesus Christ. They wanted people to follow these ways to build this country into a strong place to live, with morals and values. The country today seems to be getting far away from that. We need GOD back in America.
No, we do NOT need a theocracy or a state-run religion. That is UN-American.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
"Creator" is another word used for God. "Endowed by our Creator...." And it's Creator with a capital C, referring to God.

Directly from the Declaration of Independence:

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Note the words I've bolded and made red. Doesn't say "our" it says "their" as in your own personal God.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:02 PM

80 posts, read 257,223 times
What does this have to do with racism or bigotry?
this thread has been hijacked!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:02 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,302,880 times
Three observations from an out-of-stater:

1.) We've all been had. Notice that the individual who created this thread has mysteriously vanished into thin air? Notice also that it was initiated shortly after the "Gay Day" thread was closed by our acting moderator? I firmly believe that someone was lurking and wanted to stir up trouble, knowing that the gay civil equality debate was a sure-fire way to rile folks up from across the political spectrum. He/she/it succeeded.

2.) Kudos to you all on a mostly very civilized and MATURE debate! I live in an area where nearly 70% of the adults are college-educated, and yet when you come onto our NoVA sub-forum and try to engage people in an intellectually-stimulating debate all you get are a slew of personal attacks from all sides, proving that a higher level of education does not necessarily equate to maturity.

3.) I think the consensus is pretty clear. Ban same-sex marriage; legalize same-sex civil unions. The few who are opposed to same-sex civil unions are homophobic bigots, and those who are opposed to same-sex marriage fear that their own heterosexual relationships are being invalidated by people like myself, Jungle George, Pittston2Sarasota, etc., etc. desiring equal treatment. This is understandable as the opponents all grew up in religious households where they were indoctrinated into believing "God wouldn't want it to be that way." However, the majority of the people who oppose same-sex marriage ALSO believe that we should be afforded most of the same financial, medical, and legal benefits currently afforded to our heterosexual counterparts.

President Obama has a golden opportunity now with an open-minded Congress to FINALLY repeal "Don't Ask; Don't Tell" so that homosexuals can enlist in the military on their own volition AND to legalize same-sex civil unions on a national basis. Several states already recognized same-sex marriage, several more recognize same-sex civil unions, and the District of Columbia is expected to legalize same-sex marriage soon as well. As far as the military issue goes it's sheer IDIOCY to be tearing mothers and fathers away from their young children for extended periods of duty when there are plenty of single homosexuals who'd be willing to enlist to serve their nation but can't because the moronic redneck jarheads at the top think we're all going to get together and rape the straight guys in the shower or something!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olbluesguy View Post
What does this have to do with racism or bigotry?
this thread has been hijacked!

Report it then. *shrug*

Old 07-09-2009, 05:47 PM

23,883 posts, read 32,169,141 times
Jesus Christ never once preached against homosexuality.
- just thought I would point this fact out.
He did preach a lot about judging others, though.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:20 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,432,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Jesus Christ never once preached against homosexuality.
- just thought I would point this fact out.
He did preach a lot about judging others, though.
Hmmm....the thread topic....NEPA bigotry & racism.......both forms of judging...

Nah....I don't believe it!!! Folks wouldn't JUDGE other folks would they???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania