Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
Hi Hat,
I was curious about this after you mentioned and I just found an article in the Wayne Independent from April that was pretty interesting. They mention a couple of names you can call to volunteer, one being the guy who started it (Andy):
Andy Anderson at 689-2266, Ron Soltis at 689-0331 or Charlie Sexton at 226-0303

Here is a link to the article:
Lakewatch seeks funds for radios - Honesdale, PA - Wayne Independent

Sounds like a great idea!
Thanks Merman, you always come through. I will look into it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinpa View Post
That would be great, we have towed people back to their docks every year. This year it was after the fireworks, everyone else just ignored them.
Kinpa, what a shame that everyone is into themselves. In the last week, I assisted a jet ski who broke down and a woman who fell off the docks.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:54 PM

307 posts, read 768,619 times
Yeah we helped a jet skiier too. She was on one of those stand up ones and it didnt come back to her like it was supposed to, she was near party Island, it was a mad house out there and you could barely see her, we went to the jet ski and stopped it for her and tried to get it closer to her.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
Quote:
That would be great, we have towed people back to their docks every year. This year it was after the fireworks, everyone else just ignored them.
Unless they ask you for specific help you should NEVER offer to tow another boat, period. I am a USCG licensed captain and the rule is that unless they specifically ask for help you should not offer it. If something happens during the tow you can be held liable for any property loss or loss of life. Unless you are a quailified tow-boat operator with a towing endorsement you should not get involved.

A friendly tow could turn into a nightmare.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:20 AM

I know one of the guys that runs it. You become the eyes and ears for the PA game commission officers and offer assistance.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:37 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
I know one of the guys that runs it. You become the eyes and ears for the PA game commission officers and offer assistance.

So you become a snitch . Your doing the job that THEY get paid to do ..

Old 07-14-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
So you become a snitch . Your doing the job that THEY get paid to do ..
Riverside, are you on the lake at all? I do not have a problem with helping people are reporting illegal things - it is a safety issue when you see children on tubes without life vests - call it what you want.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Unless they ask you for specific help you should NEVER offer to tow another boat, period. I am a USCG licensed captain and the rule is that unless they specifically ask for help you should not offer it. If something happens during the tow you can be held liable for any property loss or loss of life. Unless you are a quailified tow-boat operator with a towing endorsement you should not get involved.

A friendly tow could turn into a nightmare.

Welupa, good advice. I spoke to one of the head vounteers and they advise never to tow anyone. Basically, you are there to assist any boaters in distress. It gives the officers more information on anything that is happening. You become in direct radio contact with them to help others. I think it is a great cause as more and more people are on the lake each year.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:35 AM

307 posts, read 768,619 times
I could not in good concience boat away without offering to help someone in need, I do not care what the law says. I also stop to help drivers in trouble. I wont become paranoid. I have been helping people in need my whole life and I have never had a problem.There is a good samaritan law to protect me. As a boat captain you might have a problem since you are a pro. ~

Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I could not in good concience boat away without offering to help someone in need, I do not care what the law says. I also stop to help drivers in trouble. I wont become paranoid. I have been helping people in need my whole life and I have never had a problem.There is a good samaritan law to protect me. As a boat captain you might have a problem since you are a pro. ~

I agree with you Kinpa, there are too many people turning their heads. BTW as you know all boaters are required by law to help other boaters. I never towed anyone, never had the opportunity, but I would certainly help too! We need more people like you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania