Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Location: Close enough to the Woodlands to enjoy the ammenities without being IN the Woodlands
147 posts, read 489,538 times

Advertisements

So we are awaiting the home inspection on our house we are selling so we can get to Houstonfor a job relocation. I have never gone through this before, so am hoping for some feedback about the process and my rights as the seller.

Our house is "move in ready", so to speak. We had it inspected a few years back and by a structural engineer before finishing our basement to make sure there were no red flags to invest in before we spent money. Everything came up good and what was questionable we fixed for ourselves. The sale price on our home is rock bottom, below anything we ever thought we would ever sell this house for, so we are not willing to give any concessions if an inspector comes in saying something needs to be done. The house is only 10 years old and built better than most in the area.

I guess my question is, do I HAVE to fix or adjust the price of anything they might find? Can I just say "no, take it or leave it"? I know these people who are buying the house are in a HUGE rush to move in AND they have been house hunting for a long time and it took 3 weeks to negotiate the price as it is, so I don't think they would walk away. And quite frankly I know there is NOTHING wrong with the house so this is probably a moot point...

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:15 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,558,059 times
If you stipulate in the contract "sold as is" then you are covered. If the inspector finds something, they the seller is required to fix it unless you had the clause "sold as is" put in there.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:14 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,009,801 times
Even if it doesn't say "Sold As IS" you should be able say "No, we are not fixing it." It would depend on what options were chosen and approved on the contract.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:54 PM

Location: Close enough to the Woodlands to enjoy the ammenities without being IN the Woodlands
I finally got the contract of sale from the relo company, so I saw the option for inspections, so I do feel better now. We were told to not put "as is" because that is like a red flag, even if there is nothing to be done. so we will just be saying 'no" if they find anything, which they shouldn't.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Winebrat - one thing though - would it be worth it to lose the sale? How long before another buyer comes along, and will they find the same issues? Sometimes it's easier to just say "Okay, " and give a credit or fix something than say "Nope, not gonna do it, take it or leave it..." I would wait and see what happens and what comes up before making up my mind.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:23 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,955,464 times
Can someone tell me if my information is correct? Even if a house is advertised as is and a buyer has an inspector come in and they decided the house is not worth it, they can still get out of the contract and get their deposit back with no penalty?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:30 AM

208 posts, read 651,294 times
You can certainly refuse to pay but I believe they can also decide not to buy it due to the issues that may come up. Do you know what option they selected in reference to home inspections? Our buyers chose the option that said they would pay the first $500 and then anything after that would be negotiated between us.

We were almost relocated to Houston, too, but were able to pass on it since our child is still in college here. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 AM

Unless the contract specifically states that the buyer agrees to purchase the property no matter what the inspection report reveals....yes, the buyer can use the results of the inspection to be released from the agreement of sale.

The way my clients have handled "as is" basically is this - they will not ask the seller to fix anything or ask for any credit - they will either take it, or leave it.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:04 PM

I am confident our house doesn't have any fixes, honestly what I fear is fabrications, or the inspector not being knowledgable about some of the design elements in our house. But we will see. We are in no rush to sell, but the buyers are in a rush to get in before school, so doubt they would pull out over something small...of course they have yet to even schedule the inspection, which is irking me greatly, because they only have 2 weeks until the point that we will not be out by closing due to their foot dragging...we'll see.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 AM

15 posts, read 35,136 times
We bought a house in MT. Top 2 years ago.......Housemaster did the inspection, and Rural Septic did the Septic inspection.......(due to my husband purchasing a home awhile ago with septic problems, he wanted a FULL/COMPLETE inspection)..... Housemaster was great, very thorough.....Dominic Passante did a great job (Realtors hated him)......Rural Septic did an extensive test, and $600 later, we had the best septic in town (said they never saw one pass that kind of test before, they were shocked)..............needless to say, our neighbors ripped all the trees down, and built a house.......so in one year, we were selling.........We bought a new house, (lots of privacy) 2 miles away...........We hired Housemaster again, but Dominic was gone, it's a new couple running it (How different could they be, Right? HA) They basically turned the water spickets on, and passed the place.........my husband had to show them, that the porch had dropped an inch..........they didn't even notice it.............So if you are selling a house, hire housemaster....if you are buying one, DON'T HIRE THEM!!!!!

Now as for RURAL SEPTIC, we figured with the best septic in town, we had NO WAY OF LOSING THIS SALE (Right? HA)...... Now all of a sudden, WE HAVE THE WORST SEPTIC IN TOWN. (One fricken' year later) Needs new septic, Blah, Blah, Blah............about 5 to 6 Thousand dollars....So I said I wanted a second opinion....When I said that, he wrote in his statement to the buyers, that the septic NEEDED to be replaced........So of course, now we can't get it fixed, now it needs to be replaced, or the buyers (or future buyers) won't even look at it......So I called around, one other place said 5-6 thousand, another said 3 thousand, and the one we went with Jeremy Kishbaugh did it for $2,000.......and did a good job..........ALL 3 SAID THAT THE SEPTIC, BEING IN THAT CONDITION, WAS LIKE THAT 1 YEAR AGO............IT SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN PASSED WHEN WE BOUGHT IT..................Which leads me to believe, He knew the old owners................

DO NOT USE RURAL SEPTIC...........PLEASE MAKE THEM GO OUT OF BUSINESS..........THEY DESERVE IT................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania