U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 PM

1,154 posts, read 2,729,378 times

Advertisements

Saturday night my husband and I went to the Sherman Theater in Stroudsburg to see master guitarist Phil Keaggy in concert.

I've never really been to "da Burg" before, except perhaps to drive through when lost on 209 one time (LOL). I was impressed with what I saw of the town! Very pretty.

The theater is really nice! Great acoustics. Afterward, hubby and I walked down to the Starbucks, enjoyed looking in the storefronts...and then kicked ourselves when we headed back toward our van - there was a mom & pop cafe we could have gone to instead... I prefer to support small places when I can....

Phil Keaggy was excellent. His skill is amazing - the things he did with that guitar, I never would have though possible. I'm so glad I got to go, and I am planning on heading down to "da Burg" more often - though it's a bit out of my usual travel range.

Anything else in Stroudsburg that is fun/interesting/unique?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:59 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,714,543 times
I heard there are quite a bit of interesting artsy stores in Stroudsburg. There is supposed to be a picture framing store that is uinique. I love music especially guitar and piano. What kind of music does Keaggy aspire to?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:20 PM

Keaggy does a lot of instrumental, as well as Christian music...he's very unique. His CDs "Lights of Madrid" and "Acoustic Sketches" are particularly beautiful. Classical, folk, contemporary, - he does a lot of stuff.

Here's a Wiki on him:
Phil Keaggy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a YouTube clip of one of my favorite instrumental pieces of his:

YouTube - Phil Keaggy - The Wind and the Wheat

If you search up Phil Keaggy on YouTube you can have lovely concernt (Fragile Forest is awesome too...lol) but you will miss his funky personality. His concert the other night was kind of like watching the Victor Borge of classical guitar...lol...he was so humble, so modest, so honest...I really was impressed with him and enjoyed his intertwining of his goofy antics seamlessly into his tapestry of beautiful, awe inspiring playing...

Plus take into consideration that he's only got half of the middle finger on his right hand....a lot of people with 10 fully functional fingers couldn't come close to what this guy does with nine. lol

Old 07-22-2009, 07:09 AM

64 posts, read 216,798 times

I may've seen you, Karen! I was part of the group of photographers milling around on Saturday evening for our local Worldwide Photo Walk event. Main St. really has come alive, hasn't it?

I just posted about the Walk on my blog Worldwide Photo Walk: Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg « At Home in the Poconos

Old 07-22-2009, 07:12 AM

There's a lot more that's interesting and fun downtown. There are galleries on several of the side streets (ArtSpace, Andrei, and Driebe Freight Station on Ann St. are a few), several nice shops, the Saturday morning farmer's market, lots of street festivals... It really has come into its own.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:40 PM

I did see one familiar face - Lisa Sanderson, a Facebook friend. It really is a pretty town! Funny - I'll bet a lot of us pass each other on the street and never even know it!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:47 PM

We have a friend in common! Lisa was part of the Photo Walk, too. I learned of it from her, in fact :-)

Old 07-22-2009, 12:56 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,392,506 times
Little Feat will be playing there at the end of the summer!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania