Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I don't think it sucks all over. Whippany, NJ hasn't had any drug related shootings that i ever remember. I have family there and i would know if that happened. Of course there is drug use there, it's all over, but not every place had drug related shootings like they do in this area. Whippany is alot closer to NYC than Scranton, PA is.
I sincerely hope that Whippany, NJ never experiences what we have here. I would just be careful with the smugness of claiming that virtue. None of us who live here wanted this for our area. None of US invited these dealers here nor did we ruin the local economy to a point where so many don't want to buy homes here except to turn a quick profit (while ignoring what damage they do to the community). We all want our area to be better. There are a good amount of us that are coming together to realize this goal. I am sure Whippany has concrete reasons for not having drug crimes there. Do you know what they are?

FWIW, I certainly don't think it sucks here. I think there is a lot of good and a fair amount (edging to a lot) of bad. I think, especially in the Wyoming Valley, we are at a crossroads. We can still look back and see what we once were while looking ahead and seeing what we can be, depending on our next move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 07:45 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
for immediate release to all media:

Per sheena12, not everyone wants to live in a 2 bedroom apartment so there should be no further construction of two bedroom apartments. Repeat - all 2 bedroom apartment construction should cease immediately. Further instructions to follow. 30

mathjak tried living in nepa with an eye to retirement. He has been here for a long enough time to realize that it isn't the place they hoped for and they have moved back to the city. What's wrong with having a plan, and after trying it out, realizing it didn't work out?

And personally, i didn't see the need for the snarky comment about the bronx.

i know sheena---she is never snarky!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:01 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
For Immediate Release to All Media:

Per Sheena12, not everyone wants to live in a 2 bedroom apartment so there should be no further construction of two bedroom apartments. Repeat - all 2 bedroom apartment construction should cease immediately. Further instructions to follow. 30

mathjak tried living in NEPA with an eye to retirement. He has been here for a long enough time to realize that it isn't the place they hoped for and they have moved back to the city. What's wrong with having a plan, and after trying it out, realizing it didn't work out?

And personally, I didn't see the need for the snarky comment about the Bronx.

I have to laugh! I am FROM the BRONX! To be exact, 2685 Grand Concourse, BX, New York. First phone number? Fordham 4-4384. Ate knishes and matzoh ball soup at the Jewish Deli on Forham Rd, learned about Poe at Poe park, shopped for bargains at Alexanders, and saw my first movie at the awesome Lowe's Paradise Theater. I learned about Art Deco from the Bronx.

My mother was salutatorian of the select but not defunct Walton High School. My father was father was born at Bronx Lying In Hospital and lived their until he was twelve.

My great grandfather was the rector of Trinity of Morisiana Church. I am a Bronx Girl.

I actually looked into having a "pied a terre" in the Bronx since moving to NEPA.
So we can see shows in Manhattan, shop during the holidays, and see friends and relatives.

A ONE bedroom apartment is about $800 - 900 per month.

And THAT is in the Bronx in the least expensive and most sketchy area of the borough! No, it's not like Carey Ave or Academy.

The fact is, that of the five boroughs of NYC, the BRONX, is the least expensive.

I happen to love the Bronx, and I'm saddened by what has happened to it.

But for right now, with the exception of Riverdale, Throgs Neck or Pelham Parkway; which are just as expensive as the rest of NYC, is the least expensive of the borroughs - and sadly, the most dangerous.

I was not being snarky. Actually your whole post was snarky and facetious.

Mine was factual.

I was similarly not putting down two bedroom apartments.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
The Bronx is the cheapest borough in NYC. Nothing snarkey about it. What TheaterGyp wrote sounded sarcastic and nasty.

When was the last time you lived in the Bronx? I'll tell ya this - it's no Forty Fort and it makes Edwardsville look like a walk in Poe Park - circa 1960.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:38 PM

177 posts, read 314,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I am truly happy for you and your family!
Thank you

Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,569 times
First time- had no choice because parents brought me here as a child
Second time- I was transferred back to the area with my job.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 PM

63 posts, read 88,825 times
If you are doing well and are looking for somewhere to retire, NEPA is for you. Don't retire in Lackawanna Co. or Luzerne. Wyoming, Bradford, Susquehanna, Montour etc. (west of the Poconos) are amazing places. DO NOT move to "da area" as a young person and expect to find good schools, good employment and a better way of life. It's not going to happen.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:37 AM

130 posts, read 251,895 times
Expat is right there's a ton more reasons to leave NEPA than stay. Another huge issue with jobs is the extreme nepotism here. If you ain't someone's brother, mother, cousin etc. forget about any city state or federal job in Nepa. Philly Pittsburgh Lehigh valley all better options.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:02 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
Expat is right there's a ton more reasons to leave NEPA than stay. Another huge issue with jobs is the extreme nepotism here. If you ain't someone's brother, mother, cousin etc. forget about any city state or federal job in Nepa. Philly Pittsburgh Lehigh valley all better options.

what i've been saying!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania