Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Oh please the main reason that most people move west to NEPA is because the cost of living and taxes in their respective areas is becoming increasingly harder to afford.

The exodus from states east will also increase our taxes and drive our cost of living up, thanks.

Thats usually the first and only reason and the rest are just perks.
There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THIS POST. The OP asked why and this is the main reason. OTHERWISE most people would stay where they are. The move is either for employment or a more affordable life.

Thats it, nothing negative and as far as Roxxy and Sheena are concerned NOTHING IN THAT POST WAS DIRECTED AT ANYONE PERSON.

Sheena you don't even live in PA and so I don't understand why you get so involved......Your still on the island. Basically a tourist.

BY THE WAY...My folks moved here full time in 1982 to our lake house for CHEAPER TAXES and a MORE AFFORDABLE LIFE then in NJ and my father and I commuted to NJ everyday for work at our family business that was located in NJ since 1946.....I did it for a decade+ and he did it for over 25 years.

Been there, done that, so try and sell the scenery to somebody that doesn't know better. Its not that great and NJ has better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 06:30 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I have being going to nepa for 6 years as a vacationer ; weekly, weekends and looking forward to going fulltime sometime in the near future.

Reason ; people are so nice. Views are outstanding. Yes, housing costs are cheaper, but thats only a minor reason.

d

Old 08-03-2009, 06:45 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THIS POST. The OP asked why and this is the main reason. OTHERWISE most people would stay where they are. The move is either for employment or a more affordable life.

Thats it, nothing negative and as far as Roxxy and Sheena are concerned NOTHING IN THAT POST WAS DIRECTED AT ANYONE PERSON.

Sheena you don't even live in PA and so I don't understand why you get so involved......Your still on the island. Basically a tourist.

BY THE WAY...My folks moved here full time in 1982 to our lake house for CHEAPER TAXES and a MORE AFFORDABLE LIFE then in NJ and my father and I commuted to NJ everyday for work at our family business that was located in NJ since 1946.....I did it for a decade+ and he did it for over 25 years.

Been there, done that, so try and sell the scenery to somebody that doesn't know better. Its not that great and NJ has better...
When you start a post out with "Oh please" it isn't exactly heartwarming or friendly.

People do move for reasons that other than financial too. They move for a change in scenery, a change in what they know. They move to an area that is more in keeping with what they value. They move so their kids can have more variety or less variety.

The reasons for moving are as varied as the multitude who do make big moves.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 AM

67 posts, read 145,055 times
Ive lived here my whole life so i dont know exactly why people move here. After going to school on LI, i would assume that the move is in large part due to a much lower cost of living, lower taxes, etc. That's not being negative, that's just a simple observation. I truly believe that other things, more innocent things like a slower pace and less populated areas play large parts in people moving here too. I mean think about it, if you're a lifer in NEPA, what keeps you here? It's not one thing, its many.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD CSummit View Post
Ive lived here my whole life so i dont know exactly why people move here. After going to school on LI, i would assume that the move is in large part due to a much lower cost of living, lower taxes, etc. That's not being negative, that's just a simple observation. I truly believe that other things, more innocent things like a slower pace and less populated areas play large parts in people moving here too. I mean think about it, if you're a lifer in NEPA, what keeps you here? It's not one thing, its many.
Yes, exactly.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 AM

202 posts, read 567,892 times
Default Pennsylvania is beautiful

a little like Ireland, the people are great, the food is wonderful and everyday I see another side of the scenary here and it catches my breath each time... I used to tell hubby to send me back home to Ireland when I die but now I have decided I am staying.

Having lived in Dallas for 16 years I would trade the big home.. big everything down there for a little piece of beauty here.... you cannot beat it.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:57 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
lower cost of living, hunting and fishing, more retiree friendly then ny and within our 2 hour window of being near our kids.....

Old 08-03-2009, 07:10 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Hmmmmmm This pretty much sums up what I said....I guess Sheena feels differently thread to thread.....

Here is the link to other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
MOVE--- We are. Here are some of the things that are lower than in the NY/NJ area.
Utilities, Taxes, Car Insurance, Other Insurance, Price of Gasoline and we could go on and on.
Here's what's less expensive: Property Taxes, All Insurance and the Cost of wherever you live.
For example, you can purchase a 3 bedroom house in a decent area with decent schools for well under $175,000, in most of NEPA. For less than $175,000 in our area, you could probably buy a wood shed ,if you are lucky and taxes will be about $6,000-$7,000 and higher. Compare this to NEPA taxes of $2,000 and under. Also salaries are fairly commensurate, especially in the health field and education. MOVE ASAP!!!!

Not one mention about scenery and nice people there.......Seems like its all based on cost or "a more affordable life" to me.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:29 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausages View Post
a little like Ireland, the people are great, the food is wonderful and everyday I see another side of the scenary here and it catches my breath each time... I used to tell hubby to send me back home to Ireland when I die but now I have decided I am staying.

Having lived in Dallas for 16 years I would trade the big home.. big everything down there for a little piece of beauty here.... you cannot beat it.
I can say ; me too!! Every weekend I say to dh ; who is also from Ireland, oh isnt the scenery gorgeous. He is sick and tired of me saying that.

But it is gorgeous isnt it!!! And the people, they are so friendly and helpful.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I can say ; me too!! Every weekend I say to dh ; who is also from Ireland, oh isnt the scenery gorgeous. He is sick and tired of me saying that.

But it is gorgeous isnt it!!! And the people, they are so friendly and helpful.
That's the 2 things that struck me when we were up there last year!! Everyone we came in contact with was "down-to-earth", friendly & helpful, & the mountains & forests truly ARE beautiful!!

Down here in Fl, I've noticed that most people are not very friendly & are pretty much self-absorbed. The friendliest people we have in our area are the Guatamalans. Never too busy or preoccupied to wave, say "good morning" or try to help!!

If it didn't get so damn cold up there, I'd move in a heartbeat!! Oh....and did I mention pierogi????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania