Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:04 PM

70 posts, read 123,112 times

Advertisements

IN Tafton....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 02:30 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,001 times
We're neighbors...I'm not far from Tafton.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:55 PM

30 posts, read 99,482 times
When my husband got his promotion, he had a choice between two places: NEPA or Dallas, TX.

I'll tell you why we chose NEPA:

basements: All my life, I have lived in houses with basements. Maybe it's the annual summer treks down into the basement during tornado warnings, but I just don't feel safe in a house without a basement.

four seasons: in TX, there's warm and hot; in Nebraska, there's cold and hot; I am so looking forward to living in an area where rhododendrons can survive more than a couple years.

all the mom & pop restaurants: My husband has been commuting here from Omaha for the last year and he raves about the choices of eateries and how you have so much more than just the chains, with really good food.

accessibility to interesting places: do you know how far you have to drive from Omaha to get to anything interesting? EIGHT hours in any direction! We are looking forward to spending weekends hiking in the state parks, or trekking to NYC, Philadelphia, even visiting friends in D.C. for the weekend.

Yuengling: This stuff is amazing! I don't like American beer, but I've spent a lot of time in Germany, and the beer there is actually really good. Well, when I had my first taste of Yuengling, I could have sworn I was back in Deutschland. mmmmm

Hummingbirds: I recently learned that you have hummingbirds. That is cool. (I don't know if they have them in TX, but I know they are really rare in NE.)

I have no idea how long we'll be in NEPA, but we're looking forward to the adventure of getting to know an entirely different area of the U.S. and making friends with our eastern neighbors.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:16 PM

So do you live here already or are you in the process of moving? We are in the process.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
I just wanted to welcome all the newcomers to our wonderful state of PA. Although I am out of town right now........I always look forward to returning to the mountains of home.
There is something great about the wonderful land areas of PA. We are so not crowded in.........
Days spent at waterfalls, and lakes.......on boats or on skis. How can one go wrong moving here.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:38 PM

Thank you summering. I look forward to living a nice peaceful existence up there..

Old 01-20-2010, 05:24 PM

210 posts, read 402,329 times
thank you also Summering, be there in just 9 (short, I hope) weeks

Old 01-20-2010, 09:02 PM

30 posts, read 99,482 times
Thanks, Summering! We are also in the process of moving, Tankarma. Our realtor just put the SOLD sign on our house, so we better find a place to move to quick! This is a nice problem to have. If all goes well, we'll be arriving a little bit after you, Unionjack.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 PM

19 posts, read 43,235 times
We moved to the Hazleton area this past summer. Our reasons for choosing NEPA were first, an affordable place to retire, to be in the same state as our grandchildren and within 2 hours of most of our family. Some of the other criteria for choosing were the natural beauty, the mountains, lakes, wildlife...
Since we have been here I am very impressed with the friendly people I encounter day to day, the slower pace...

This past weekend we encountered a situation that proved that this is a better place to live than NY...my husband lost his wallet...dropped it in the men's room at Ollie's. We called the store to check if it was found but no one had turned it in, my husband was beside himself. When we returned home there was a message on the phone...someone had found the wallet and felt the best way to ensure that it was returned intact was to contact us directly. He indicated how much cash there was and what other items were in the wallet...we met him in Berwick where he lives to retrieve it...That would never have happened in NY. God bless you Rob! I love living here!

Old 01-21-2010, 12:39 PM

OH Angela, that is so nice to here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania