Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:29 PM

127 posts, read 290,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clariceIm View Post
I thank you all for your very interesting replies..! Obviously, this has provoked some discussion...The job is in Kingston...so how does that rate on the acceptance scale?? or is there a better town within commuting distance to house hunt? We are not 'in your face' people, altho we do feel strongly about some political/HRC issues. Where would you recommend as the gay "enclaves" or neighborhoods that gay/lesbian couples feel comfortable living in? We are not bar people, but are just a typical, tax-paying middle-aged couple, who happen to both be female...just would want a safe, quiet, neighborly home...preferably w/other gay couples nearby. Any ideas???
Kingston is a pretty decent area - it has changed over the years however. Wilkes-Barre is pretty 'accepting' (I hate to use that word) as is Kingston. Wilkes-Barre has a much higher crime rate - shootings, stabbings, robberies. Other areas to consider would be near Kingston - Forty Fort, Wyoming, Luzerne, Swoyersville, or further out to Kingston Township (not Kingston but further away). The areas I have mentioned are fairly quiet as well and very neighborly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:54 AM

14 posts, read 84,077 times
Check out the NEPA Rainbow Alliance. I know that one of my colleagues, John Dawe, has done some great work with the group. They have an annual event which this year had over 1200 attendees.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
When I used to work at the Lowe's in Edwardsville (a not-so-nice town just outside of Kingston) I would see obviously LGBT people and/or couples shopping there on a regular basis and worked with several others besides myself as well. I know from my personal experience back in the NEPA dating pool that Kingston has a relatively-high LGBT population as far as NEPA is concerned. Scranton's Hill Section also had a decent-sized LGBT crowd (I can envision that being Scranton's "Gayborhood" someday when it fully revitalizes). Oddly enough as an alumnus of Pittston Area it looks as if Pittston, too, is a surprisingly strong breeding ground for gays/lesbians, as more and more former classmates seem to be "coming out" on a regular basis on Facebook.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,134 times
Quote:
is a surprisingly strong breeding ground for gays/lesbians
I find this a curious choice of words.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
I find this a curious choice of words.
Sorry. No offense was obviously meant by it. Perhaps a more judicious choice of words would have been "mecca?"

Old 08-18-2009, 04:32 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
When I used to work at the Lowe's in Edwardsville (a not-so-nice town just outside of Kingston) I would see obviously LGBT people and/or couples shopping there on a regular basis and worked with several others besides myself as well. I know from my personal experience back in the NEPA dating pool that Kingston has a relatively-high LGBT population as far as NEPA is concerned. Scranton's Hill Section also had a decent-sized LGBT crowd (I can envision that being Scranton's "Gayborhood" someday when it fully revitalizes). Oddly enough as an alumnus of Pittston Area it looks as if Pittston, too, is a surprisingly strong breeding ground for gays/lesbians, as more and more former classmates seem to be "coming out" on a regular basis on Facebook.
Pittston sure does pump out a good amount of Gay people...especially on a per capita basis...LOL. I know of a few classmates who were Gay but not too many are out; however I grew up in a different time. Even talking about these things was pretty much taboo back in the sixties; but things did slowly start to change in the seventies And then came Disco....LOL....

Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Pittston sure does pump out a good amount of Gay people...especially on a per capita basis...LOL. I know of a few classmates who were Gay but not too many are out; however I grew up in a different time. Even talking about these things was pretty much taboo back in the sixties; but things did slowly start to change in the seventies And then came Disco....LOL....
What still amazes me is I was the only "out" gay guy out of a class of over 280, and now it seems like 10% of the class is gay/lesbian/bisexual now that we're in our early-20s. Pittston churns 'em out!

Old 08-18-2009, 04:40 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,134 times
So is it something in the water? LOL

Old 08-18-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
So is it something in the water? LOL
Well we used to always joke about the three-eyed fish in the Susquehanna!

Old 08-18-2009, 05:28 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
What still amazes me is I was the only "out" gay guy out of a class of over 280, and now it seems like 10% of the class is gay/lesbian/bisexual now that we're in our early-20s. Pittston churns 'em out!
It's something in the water...LOL...Or fumes from mine shafts...LOL...My class was almost 500 people and 2,000 plus at the main high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania