Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 05:50 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I'd be a little concerned if they came home from school at their age and asked mommy and daddy about drag queens.
Then that's your own issue. How hard is it to say that some boys like to dress up in girls clothes?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:55 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Then that's your own issue. How hard is it to say that some boys like to dress up in girls clothes?

Sorry but i don't think they should have to learn about drag queens at that age. Neither do my sons.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:02 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
Sorry but i don't think they should have to learn about drag queens at that age. Neither do my sons.
Honey, they're GONNA learn it one way or the other. Either from you or from outsiders. And nobody's said "at a certain age"!!

It cracks me up that some parents think that their kids "don't need" to know about some things, like that's gonna shelter them from the real world!! I personally would rather have my kids "prepared" to deal with the facets of the outside world with FACTS, as opposed to them wandering to the NEPA gay pridefest & NOT being prepared or wondering what the heck's going on....

The choice is yours...

Old 08-14-2009, 06:12 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times
They are 7 & 8 and i know no-one who has talked to their kids that young about drag queens, sorry. They are not my kids, they are my sons and i don't see them having this talk with them anytime soon. At 7 & 8 i hope they're not going to be "wandering" to a NEPA gay pridefest by themselves and i know neither one of my sons will take them.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:22 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
They are 7 & 8 and i know no-one who has talked to their kids that young about drag queens, sorry. They are not my kids, they are my sons and i don't see them having this talk with them anytime soon. At 7 & 8 i hope they're not going to be "wandering" to a NEPA gay pridefest by themselves and i know neither one of my sons will take them.
Why do you keep bringing up "7 & 8"?? Nobody said NOW!!

Everyone stated in more or less words "when the subject comes up".

I don't know about you, but I remember Milton Berle on prime-time TV back in the 60's. And TV's (as well as movies, magazines, computer, etc.) gotten QUITE a bit more "subject-open" than it was 40 years ago. Kids see that stuff & they ask questions...at an earlier & earlier age too it seems...again, I'll ask if it's better getting the factual answers from the parents, or wait 'til they learn (factual or not) from other "sources"??

YouTube - Uncle Miltie IS Auntie Mildred (short version)

Old 08-14-2009, 06:48 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:

Why not? What is sooooo horrifically scarring about knowing that some people act and think differently than others??

Old 08-14-2009, 07:04 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Really. Just as much fun as taking your 5 year old son to the gynochologist's office with you when you have an appointment and no sitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
A toddler wouldn't know that booth from an ice cream stand. A second grader? Easy. They are offering tests for diseases. *shrug*

Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 PM

Well, it seems that I can't rep you. You sound like the best kind of Mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Exactly...my 20 year old son just recently told his girlfriend he tells me everything! She was not to thrilled with that, but we have been fostering an open relationship since he was in utero!We have an extremely strong bond...I have always been honest with him in an age approporiate manner. Many times when he has asked a question, I have told him...do you want the ugly truth...or the polite answer...he has always opted for the truth.

My son is going into third grade...he has already heard the ugly word, ****** IN SCHOOL. When he has asked what it meant he was told the truth...it is an ugly hateful word that less educated people use to describe men that like men. It really isn't that hard to explain things...and in todays society kids are learning adult topics much earlier...they just need to have them explained in a supportive way...the rest is up to the kids.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
When the subject comes up or they ask. How easy was that??!!
Absolutely. When your child notices things and asks questions is just the right time to answer those questions in an age appropriate fashion.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:31 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
I shy away from crowds...but would love to go to next years pridefest!!!! Maybe if Scranbarre comes back for it we could all go!
For me with Scranbarre- yes, with others- I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania