Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I agree. Those are celebrations of one's ethnic heritage, not their sexual preference. I don't see a correlation here. I don't expect there to be heterosexual parade and people celebrating the fact that they're straight, would never happen. I think there are too many ethnic parades out there anyway. Why can't we have just one celebration of the fact that we'll all Americans and stop making everything so specialized?

I agree, you never see heterosexual parades, why do we need gay pride parades? Just wondering and before you jump all over me i have nothing at all against gay people. I also get annoyed at latino pride day they have in Scranton, we are all people, we are all the same. Why can't we just leave it at that?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:17 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Actually I think I was a bit too hurried to be offended. After the first half-dozen or so rednecks finished with their "pro-God/pro-family" agenda (as if gays such as myself can't be Christians or be good parents) about 2/3 of the remaining 100+ comments were DEFENSIVE from gays/lesbians/bisexuals and straights alike. What really irks me though is that the Wilkes-Barre event ALWAYS attracts a good crowd of protesters from all over. Don't these people have better things to do than to attempt to make other people miserable? If neo-Nazis were waving signs, chanting, and protesting at the Scranton Jewish Film Festival I bet people would care MUCH more! Haven't the Bible-thumpers in NEPA heard the old adage "Let ye without sin cast the first stone?" For God's sake if you dislike homosexuality then why on Earth would you go to the largest annual LGBT-oriented event in this part of the state and expose yourself to it? Like it or not we're everywhere, and we're not going away any time soon. Shouldn't the people of NEPA be more concerned about this year's uptick in violent crime as opposed to "Adam and Steve?"
You do know that Christians who take time to protest such events are there more out of concern for the gay people and their souls...not to "spread hate" and "cast stones." Sure there are exceptions, like that Fred Phelps clown, but most are there because their faith and conviction tells them to try and "save" people and convert them to their way of thinking. And remember, many left wing liberals and/or gays are just as hostile to Christians as they perceive Christians to be towards them.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Amen to that, I was going to say it but let you do it. Just because one doesn't agree with one's sexual orientation, does not mean one HATES the other. We can respectfully want no part of Gay Pride Day Parade. Doesn't make us evil or the devil or hicks. I just don't understand why people always need to be catered to.

I don't want any part of gay pride parades, latino parades, mexican parades, none of it. You never see white pride parades, because if you did, latinos, mexicans would be yelling we're all racists. I wouldn't miss any of them if they all went away. Let's have a white pride and heterosexual parade in the middle of Scranton and see what happens.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:24 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Electric-City View Post
That is not the point. The point is people, especially those in our area, just can't accept people for who they are and that is wrong.
Why do I have to be tolerant of something I don't agree with? Let me just say, that I don't hate anyone before you go calling me a racist or that I hate homosexuals. I don't. I can get along just fine with someone that is a gay, just don't go pointing it out to me and making a spectacle of yourself. Your sexual orientation isn't something that should define you, just like the fact that I like woman should not make me a better or worse person. It should not even be an issue. It goes back to, love the sinner, hate the sin.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
Just the fact that there even is an annual "Gay Pride" celebration in Wilkes-Barre at all is a testament to how tolerant our society has become. I can't even imagine a celebration like this being tolerated in Wilkes-Barre even ten-fifteen years ago without fights breaking out, and rioting taking place. A matter of fact, I heard one of the organizers of this event say on WILK that he would like to have a parade in downtown Wilkes-Barre in the future. Can you imagine that!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
questioning sexual orientation is indeed ugly but name calliing those who question bad behavior is worse.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Why do I have to be tolerant of something I don't agree with? Let me just say, that I don't hate anyone before you go calling me a racist or that I hate homosexuals. I don't. I can get along just fine with someone that is a gay, just don't go pointing it out to me and making a spectacle of yourself. Your sexual orientation isn't something that should define you, just like the fact that I like woman should not make me a better or worse person. It should not even be an issue. It goes back to, love the sinner, hate the sin.

I don't understand why the gay community has to tell the world their sexual preference, i don't care who you sleep with, it doesn't bother me. I like what's inside a person, not what gender they prefer. It gets old quick, I mean really who cares????? So my opinion is stop with the parades and what not and people will like you or dislike you for what your are inside. Basically, get over it already.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Just the fact that there even is an annual "Gay Pride" celebration in Wilkes-Barre at all is a testament to how tolerant our society has become. I can't even imagine a celebration like this being tolerated in Wilkes-Barre even ten-fifteen years ago without fights breaking out, and rioting taking place. A matter of fact, I heard one of the organizers of this event say on WILK that he would like to have a parade in downtown Wilkes-Barre in the future. Can you imagine that!
Well, I would not be one of those people protesting or starting fights. I'm a non-violent person. I can disagree with it in the privacy of my own home without hurting anyone. I don't know why anyone would waste their time down there protesting or fighting, I would just stay away from it and wouldn't give it any attention.

Last edited by NYRangers 2008; 08-11-2009 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I don't understand why the gay community has to tell the world their sexual preference, i don't care who you sleep with, it doesn't bother me. I like what's inside a person, not what gender they prefer. It gets old quick, I mean really who cares????? So my opinion is stop with the parades and what not and people will like you or dislike you for what your are inside. Basically, get over it already.
I wish I could give you rep points, but I must spread it around. I totally agree with what you're saying. Everything in this country today needs to be specialized to satisfy the fringe groups.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Well, I would not be one of those people protesting or starting fight. I'm a non-violent person. I can disagree with it in the privacy of my own home without hurting anyone. I don't know why anyone would waste their time down there protesting or fighting, I would just stay away from it and wouldn't give it any attention.
That's pretty much I stand too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania