Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:25 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times

Advertisements

I feel bad for your friend.......I do feel there should be health coverage for people that doesn't ruin them financially.

Our plan is very good however. It paid for two major heart surgeries of my husbands. One in NY ( Columbia Pres.) and one in NJ. ( Morristown Mem.)
The first time I was given a check for the doctor within SIX days....I handed it to him and he was stunned it came so fast.
Another patient had to get funds from his employer because his doctor at the time wanted thousands up front....He stated, " who has that kind of money sitting around?"
We were left with just a few things to pay for that were manageable.
When I read what people have to endure to have health coverage I cringe. I know people who are paying over a thousand a month for health coverage.

At this point changing what we personally have would be foolish.....
I don't want to see a plan come in that would take away the security I have at this time of our lives.

I'd like to see all people be taken care of nicely however...

How to get to that goal is the big question.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:35 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,650 times
I definately agree about the health care situation in this country. If your rich you have health care, if your poor you get free health care but if your middle to lower income and your not covered by your employer your in a bad situation.

What surgeon did your husband use in Columbia Pres. in NYC. My husbands heart dr. is there also.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
I definately agree about the health care situation in this country. If your rich you have health care, if your poor you get free health care but if your middle to lower income and your not covered by your employer your in a bad situation.

What surgeon did your husband use in Columbia Pres. in NYC. My husbands heart dr. is there also.
We'll I don't think we are considered "rich" by any means......LOL
But, his company in NJ gave all the workers good health insurance.
Bless them for that.......I'm sure it has helped many workers over the years in dire situation. In fact I know it has.

My husband who was thought to have the "flu" when he was 38.......
Had a gene related heart issue, come to find out finally and before it was too late. Thank God......

His doctor is no longer with Columbia, as far as I know. He was Dr. Eric Rose. We would come home and see him on TV as one of the first to do a heart transplant in a young girl. He was a young doctor.....wonderful....and full of knowledge. I left him a little note under his door, asking him to please be careful.......for me and my three little girls sakes. He told me he found it! I sent him a holiday card for years.........
I don't know if I could find him now, but I would LOVE to let him know how everythings been.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
I have done that several times and have gotten some results. The only problem with it is that you have to give your email and phone number, and then put up with tons of calls from people from all over the country trying to have you sign up right away with their company. I need to be able to have it in black and white in front of me and think about it before doing it.
Greentown.......Thats why I always put my correct Email......but ......
Ahhhhh........not my correct phone.. Really, who wants all those calls.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
We'll I don't think we are considered "rich" by any means......LOL
But, his company in NJ gave all the workers good health insurance.
Bless them for that.......I'm sure it has helped many workers over the years in dire situation. In fact I know it has.

My husband who was thought to have the "flu" when he was 38.......
Had a gene related heart issue, come to find out finally and before it was too late. Thank God......

His doctor is no longer with Columbia, as far as I know. He was Dr. Eric Rose. We would come home and see him on TV as one of the first to do a heart transplant in a young girl. He was a young doctor.....wonderful....and full of knowledge. I left him a little note under his door, asking him to please be careful.......for me and my three little girls sakes. He told me he found it! I sent him a holiday card for years.........
I don't know if I could find him now, but I would LOVE to let him know how everythings been.
Oh I didnt mean that the only way to have insurance was to be rich, lol...I meant that the rich are the only ones that can pay for it without it being a strain on their savings. Should of been more clear.

My husband and myself are also lucky to have health care. His union provides benefits for retirees. And I feel really blessed especially when I hear sad stories from other people.

I am glad to hear your husbands health problem was caught in time. I always thank God for my fortune and that my husband had a great doctor. Things could of been very different if he didnt have wonderful support from his physician.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:52 PM

When we moved to PA his plan offered us Geisinger. OK coming from NJ we didn't know what that was, no less what they covered. I found out they would fly you by copter' to their hospital and that is where your care would come from.
Problem is........What do you do if you travel? Even so, what do you do if your in SC for the winters?
Where would our care come from? That offered us 100% care though.........It was very hard to turn that down.
We have Aetna but it is run through the company he worked for.......so it is more like a joint company and insurance plan.
For people living and staying in PA, I think Geisinger is a well respected group.

Last edited by Summering; 08-15-2009 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: forgot (?)

Old 08-16-2009, 02:10 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
the reality is that while the gov't talks about the millions and millions of people who dont have health coverage in the us its not true...it makes good political news but they do have coverage..MEDICAID... they just choose not to file for it and they just stiff the hospitals....

studies show 80% of all considered without health insurance do qualify for medicaid if they filed.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:08 AM

But, the problem is some people miss the mark by like a dollar or so. That happened to a relative of ours.........Just short of getting it at the time. Then what?
If we talk National Health Care.....This thread will probably close. So I am back to worrying about
former Senator Rick Santorums"of PA's" statement that he said this week.......He stated that we would not keep our company insurance. My husband has one pill costing $500! and that is just one....I really, really, want everything the same. I want to go to one of Santorums speeches, but he is in Iowa ( I think) right now.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:24 AM

79 posts, read 150,154 times
Rick Santorum is lying.

A political speech by a determined enemy of health care reform is not a trustworthy source of information. Frankly everyone should know the difference by now. If you want an informed understanding, you should read Ezra Klein of the Washington Post's "Health Reform for Beginners" Series.

Last edited by Slammin' Scrannin'; 08-16-2009 at 07:39 AM..

Old 08-16-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the reality is that while the gov't talks about the millions and millions of people who dont have health coverage in the us its not true...it makes good political news but they do have coverage..MEDICAID... they just choose not to file for it and they just stiff the hospitals....

studies show 80% of all considered without health insurance do qualify for medicaid if they filed.
I dont know much about statistics but I do know that you have to literally have no income to be able to get Medicaid. That goes for Seniors as well.

If a Senior only has Medicare and cannot afford a secondary they have to have an income of less than a $1000 per month (the exact amount I am not sure of but I know if you have this amount you cannot get Medicaid). Now I dont know about much but I do know that you cannot live on this kind of money and in most areas you will be homeless.

Now a person making minumum wage does not fall into the poverty level but they cannot possibly afford health insurance if their employer does not provide it. If they get minimum wages they will make less than $300 per week before being taxed. Do you still think that there are many people eligible for Medicaid, and do you think the numbers of people without insurance are off? I dont, and I know many people that are without insurance, young and not quite ready for medicare.

I dont know anyone that is eligible for Medicaid and did not file for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania