Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 AM

79 posts, read 295,631 times

Advertisements

Is there trains that run from Scranton area into Penn Station, NY? I checked out Amtrak, but all their stations in PA are so far from Scranton. I was trying to figure out a way to get to Long Island without having to drive every time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 10:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
No, unfortunately not. Sorry!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
There are no trains from Scranton to NYC, but there's the Martz bus which has several daily trips from Scranton to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and Wall Street in NY.
From Scranton, PA - Martz Trailways (http://www.martztrailways.com/from-scranton.asp - broken link)

Old 08-17-2009, 10:39 AM

904 posts, read 2,054,506 times
There's also greyhound service (2-3 direct buses per day), which is less frequent than Martz, but faster and cheaper for occasional trips. Check out greyhound.com

Old 08-17-2009, 02:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Unfortunately there is no light rail linking Scranton to NYC. This topic has been beaten to death like a dead horse on this forum, as the rail's opponents fear that there will be too much "trash" coming into Scranton from NYC (in more ways than one, but I digress). I'm personally still mixed on this issue. On the one hand giving fresh college graduates the opportunity to raise their families in Scranton and commute via rail into Northern New Jersey for work (because Lord knows Scranton will never become a major high-tech, white-collar mecca when so many in the city have a hostile "anti-college" mindset) would be a potential BOON to the region (I'd be one of those moving to Scranton and riding the rails to a new job in North Jersey). On the other hand the inevitable influx of people from The Stroudsburgs, North Jersey, and NYC not to Scranton but to upper-middle-class places around Scranton (i.e. North Pocono, Abington Heights) as they descend upon the region in search of good schools and big relatively inexpensive homes would only further the area's already evident struggles with urban sprawl as we see more trees coming down for new McMansions and big-box stores while Scranton proper continues to barely keep its head above water. It's mind-boggling that a city the size of Harrisburg can have great rail transit service to other cities, and yet Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, with nearly 600,000 people, is just kind of "there." Hell, the metropolitan area doesn't even have good bus service (hence why I predict I-81 is going to be a bumper-to-bumper free-for-all in not too many years if the population grows as it is projected to in the future).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania