U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 AM

87 posts, read 239,941 times

Advertisements

I have heard rumors that with the latest rain, the new high school flooded and needed to be pumped out. The initial Student walk thru had to be delayed.

Does anyone know what happened?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 10:49 AM

996 posts, read 3,110,201 times
The last thing I saw in the newspaper was that they didn't have some of the handicapped access done and that was the reason that the occupancy was delayed and they couldn't have the open house.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,575,252 times
I didn't even know it was finished,,,,,,,lol

Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 PM

87 posts, read 239,941 times
They are planning on class starts this fall with it.

Over budget and I have a feeling the tax payers will be seeing more increases because of it. The bus schedule is already out of control.

They have students jumping to 4 seperate schools now thru the years and the new high school does not even have any sports fields. They need to be bussed back to the old high school for sports.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 PM

31,776 posts, read 72,972,079 times
Well regardless of what people think a new high school would have been needed sooner or later given that the North Pocono area is likely to see continued growth over the coming years with incoming NJ/NYC transplants who are tumbling up I-380 and over the Monroe/Lackawanna County line, as well as those fleeing the supposed "sinking ship" that is the S.S. Scranton. Isn't it better to stomach a small-to-moderate tax increase now when real estate values are still reasonable than to be hit with a very large tax increase eight or ten years from now when the old high school was already well over capacity and property values had climbed considerably? I really don't understand the logic behind the "anti-high school" crowd there. If they didn't want a new high school, then who they REALLY ought to have been petitioning were the local zoning boards and planning commissions to try to convince them to curtail sprawl and not to permit so many new homes being built in the school district. They also could have fought the installation of the new sewage system in Jefferson Twp., as this, too, will only inevitably lead to more subdivisions springing up in the coming years. Why the school board members out there were hung out to dry when they had nothing to do with the district's population growth is beyond my realm of comprehension.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,305,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well regardless of what people think a new high school would have been needed sooner or later given that the North Pocono area is likely to see continued growth over the coming years with incoming NJ/NYC transplants who are tumbling up I-380 and over the Monroe/Lackawanna County line, as well as those fleeing the supposed "sinking ship" that is the S.S. Scranton. Isn't it better to stomach a small-to-moderate tax increase now when real estate values are still reasonable than to be hit with a very large tax increase eight or ten years from now when the old high school was already well over capacity and property values had climbed considerably? I really don't understand the logic behind the "anti-high school" crowd there. If they didn't want a new high school, then who they REALLY ought to have been petitioning were the local zoning boards and planning commissions to try to convince them to curtail sprawl and not to permit so many new homes being built in the school district. They also could have fought the installation of the new sewage system in Jefferson Twp., as this, too, will only inevitably lead to more subdivisions springing up in the coming years. Why the school board members out there were hung out to dry when they had nothing to do with the district's population growth is beyond my realm of comprehension.
I agree. I would rather take a small hit now, than a big one later. It all comes down to this, people hate having to spend more on taxes, especially in this economy. The older people and the people who don't have kids feel they should not have their taxes raised if they don't have a child going to school. The district simply cannot pick and choose and tell certain people that they don't have to pay school taxes, it wouldn't be fair and too complicated. The zoning boards and planning commissions will never curtail new home growth, building houses means jobs for contractors and laborers and attracts more people to an area, meaning new businesses will pop up. Sometimes Paul, you can't stop sprawl, it's inevitable.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I agree. I would rather take a small hit now, than a big one later. It all comes down to this, people hate having to spend more on taxes, especially in this economy. The older people and the people who don't have kids feel they should not have their taxes raised if they don't have a child going to school. The district simply cannot pick and choose and tell certain people that they don't have to pay school taxes, it wouldn't be fair and too complicated. The zoning boards and planning commissions will never curtail new home growth, building houses means jobs for contractors and laborers and attracts more people to an area, meaning new businesses will pop up. Sometimes Paul, you can't stop sprawl, it's inevitable.
The problem is though that the people of North Pocono can't have their cake AND eat it too! If they want to see "progress" in terms of more employment/shopping/dining options in their neck of the woods, then they'll also have to be willing to stomach the accompanying influx of new residents---people drawn by the newfound convenience to those new jobs and retail/dining opportunities. What also comes with this? HIGHER TAXES to help build larger schools, wider roads, better sewage systems, hire more police, transform all-volunteer fire departments to at least partially paid ones, etc., etc. I don't think the people of North Pocono know what they want anymore. They don't want a new high school because they don't want to pay higher taxes, and yet they also want "progress" to come? Which is it? I'm a little confused right now.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_in_nepa View Post
They are planning on class starts this fall with it.

Over budget and I have a feeling the tax payers will be seeing more increases because of it. The bus schedule is already out of control.

They have students jumping to 4 seperate schools now thru the years and the new high school does not even have any sports fields. They need to be bussed back to the old high school for sports.

I know a person who drives bus for NP and she said the bus routes aren't even figured out yet. And the business with the sports fields still located at the old school is crazy.

Our schools here in Wallenpaupack have been seeing a decline in enrollment for the past few years. I just have to wonder if NP will end up with a new expensive school with half-filled classrooms in ten years.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
I know a person who drives bus for NP and she said the bus routes aren't even figured out yet. And the business with the sports fields still located at the old school is crazy.

Our schools here in Wallenpaupack have been seeing a decline in enrollment for the past few years. I just have to wonder if NP will end up with a new expensive school with half-filled classrooms in ten years.
It all depends upon whether the wave of newcomers from NYC/NJ that the North Pocono/Lake Region has seen in the past decade or so slows down or hastens. My bet is on it staying the same, perhaps with more of the transplants being empty-nesters/semi-retirees looking to escape the city.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It all depends upon whether the wave of newcomers from NYC/NJ that the North Pocono/Lake Region has seen in the past decade or so slows down or hastens. My bet is on it staying the same, perhaps with more of the transplants being empty-nesters/semi-retirees looking to escape the city.
It is definitely slowing down. Both schools have had enrollment numbers decline for the past several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>